Borneo Dispatches #22: Bornean Miscellany, Part 3 - Scapes

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Borneo Dispatches #22: Bornean Miscellany, Part 3 - Scapes

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I have two full sets of photos on my hard drive: one being a series of a Malayan Coral Snake, the other numerous shots of two baby Banded Kraits. Alas, the soul-crushing cold here in Taiwan has addled my brain to such a degree that I'd rather post a bunch of completely herp-unrelated - in fact, completely animal-unrelated! - photos of 'scapes and shapes from Borneo. The snake pix (and my much-delayed piece for the FHF blog) will have to wait until I'm back in the more braincell-friendly climes of Sarawak next Sunday.

So, here are, in no particular order, bananas, fat tourists, and rickety bridges. And a waterfall or two. You have been warned.

Limestone hills

Hiking to and photographing waterfalls is the main weekend pastime for most nature photogs around here. There's a LOT of waterfalls...

View through the roof of the Fairy Cave (inside the limestone hills)

'Naners

Hot Stuff

Around the Malaysian-Indonesian border

One of the many, many one-lane bridges in Borneo. Yes, they're for cars, too. :-)

Guesthouse in Kubah National Park

Flooded country road; my son checking for passability. One of the reasons why I'm ditching my Perodua "Gummybear Mobile" MyVi as soon as I'm back, and get a real badass, Borneo-proof herping vehicle, a Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 turbo diesel...

Dead people, Chinese style

Kuching Waterfront

Kuching (which means "cat" in Malay") Cat Statue, complete with fat German tourist.

Corny tropical sunset

Logging road, take me home...

(All pix, apart from the ugly ones, courtesy of Marcus Kloft)
Warren

Re: Borneo Dispatches #22: Bornean Miscellany, Part 3 - Scap

Post by Warren »

Love the local flavour! :thumb:
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Those pics'll (pixel :D ) do just fine! Wish I had the opportunity to see those places. Also, that jovial German tourist looks really familiar...
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Some cool shots Hans!

Love the first photo and the one's of the peppers and bananas - neat composition!

That looks like some crazy flooding as well - the unherp-related post is precedented. :D
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Thank you very much, gentlefolk!
John Martin wrote:Wish I had the opportunity to see those places.
...said the man who lives in Australia :-) A one-way Air Asia ticket from Sydney to KL costs you USD99 (ninety-nine). A two-week trip to Borneo, including food, will set you back less than USD500, if you stay with us. You're very welcome.
Also, that jovial German tourist looks really familiar...
Bah, they all look the same. Black socks in Birkenstocks - nuff said.
ADCIII

Post by ADCIII »

Hans, Were those apple 'naners? They sure look familiar, Art
ps.bring on the banded kraits.
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: Bah, they all look the same. Black socks in Birkenstocks - nuff said.
Haha! Don't forget the short shorts and 'taches.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

ADCIII wrote:Hans, Were those apple 'naners?
They call them pisang hotel - "hotel bananas", because they're small and decorative and thus popular for fruit baskets/arrangements in 4/5 star hotels.
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

Beautiful area to call home, Hans! Those karst peaks are very similar to here, though not as plentiful. The intact tropical rainforest would be a nice addition around here. We just get fragments of subtropical.. :? Have you ever been caving? In 2007/2008 I was really active in that pursuit, but have since, sadly, found no one else willing to enter the subterranean wonderworlds. One of the reasons being snakes (mainly in entrances or areas exposed to sunlight through dolines (tiankeng)! I told them that was a reason TO GO, to no avail.

Those Chinese graves look just like here, with the tiles, but much more expensive. Here I was thinking tiles on the outside of buildings was a "Communist thing"..

The sky looks so blue there. I just saw a blueish sky today for the first time in months. The winters are overcast.. I could do without them, even though it's usually less than four months long before I can go herping again.

I rather scoff at the idea of it being very cold in Taiwan. Daily temperatures were 5C here last week. It must be at least 15C anywhere in Taiwan except in the mountains. Sissy. :P

Love the driveable bridges. We just get really questionable one "lane" pedestrian/motorbike suspended (high) bridges here.
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: Hot Stuff
When I'm not herping, diving, birding or fishing or otherwise outside, one of my hobbies is growing hot peppers. The C. chinense variety on the right looks really, really interesting (and really, really hot)!
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Some nice looking peppers! I love hot stuff - those look like red habaneros and thai chilis. I grow habaneros, thai chilis, and ghost peppers here.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
John Martin wrote:Wish I had the opportunity to see those places.
...said the man who lives in Australia :-) A one-way Air Asia ticket from Sydney to KL costs you USD99 (ninety-nine). A two-week trip to Borneo, including food, will set you back less than USD500, if you stay with us. You're very welcome.
Yes, I do live in Oz, but unfortunately in the relatively "interesting reptile-free zone" of South Australia's Fleurieu Peninsula. I know, I need to get out more. As for the flight costs, I'll definitely have to look into that when an opportunity to travel arises. And thank you so very much for the invite! You may just live to regret that... :lol: :beer:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Very cool photos. I always love seeing stuff from Borneo. You didn't happen to get any photographs of any Nepenthes did you?
moloch

Post by moloch »

Looks like a beautiful place, Hans. I am looking forward to seeing some of these areas with you before too long. Kubah looks very nice.

Regards,
David
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Thanks, all!
tai haku wrote:The C. chinense variety on the right looks really, really interesting (and really, really hot)!
It isn't, though. Most of these peppers you can eat raw - no comparison to habaneros, ghost chilies etc.. Unlike in West Malaysia, people in Sarawak don't like their food head-poppingly fiery. Even the Indian cooking here is quite tame. One of the few drawbacks of life here...
Yes, I do live in Oz, but unfortunately in the relatively "interesting reptile-free zone" of South Australia's Fleurieu Peninsula.
What a waste :-)
And thank you so very much for the invite! You may just live to regret that..
No worries. If you get uppity, we'll dump you in some croc-infested Nipah swamp :-)
Kubah looks very nice
That building is going to be your home for three days!
You didn't happen to get any photographs of any Nepenthes did you?
Sure did. Here's a bunch of common lowlanders.

N. mirabilis

N. ampullaria

N. rafflesiana,
the pretty purple variety

More neps...but you have to find them for yourself :-)

There are more nepenthes photos in the earlier posts in this series.
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

:shock:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Awesome. Thank you for posting those!