Tiger hunt

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herper1

Tiger hunt

Post by herper1 »

Ive been living in south Jersey for 20 years and have never seen a Tiger salamander. Its actually kinda embarrasing. State claims there are only 19 or so known breeding ponds and there pretty tight lipped about them. This spring it was my top priority. Tonight I went out and first found a fat little 4 toed...

Then I got my lifer Tiger !!

dragoncjo

Re: Tiger hunt

Post by dragoncjo »

Herper1 can you please send any data related to the tiger to ENSP. Let me know if you need the forms. If you put the record in naherp, would you mind restricting county.

thx
brick911

Post by brick911 »

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/rptform.pdf

There's the form.

I would advise you to just ignore your PM box for a while. I'll buy you lunch if you haven't received a PM from somebody by the end of the day. People will want your spot. Somebody will try to help, but really they just want your spot. Seriously, even if you get a PM from me, ignore it as I'm DYING to know as well. All you need to do is send in the form (if you want them to get it now), or put it in the database (if you want them to get it later). If you notice CWF on the form, they just received 374 GOOD records from us and will make new data requests periodically. *It's up to you.

If you are going to put it into the database, let me know and I will walk you through restricting it so the county is not shown. But not via PM because my subconscious will take over and I WILL look for clues on where your tiger was found. :lol:

...Anyway. Congrats on the early four-toed and the awesome tiger! Well done. That goal was achieved too quickly... what's next?
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

I will be sending Mark to address to the biologists responsible for this species in case its an unknown local. Hopefully people can just appreciate the picture and not harass him for info for personal gain. Goal is to just get the data to the people that can help the species.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

dragoncjo wrote:I will be sending Mark to address to the biologists responsible for this species in case its an unknown local. Hopefully people can just appreciate the picture and not harass him for info for personal gain. Goal is to just get the data to the people that can help the species.
:lol: Told ya.
TJP

Post by TJP »

" Hopefully people can just appreciate the picture and not harass him for info for personal gain. "

:lol: Good luck with that.
TJP

Post by TJP »

Congrats on the find, BTW. And, I agree with Bob. Ignore your PM's.....especially from the "biologists" with 1 total posts.
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

I'm a famous biologist with almost 1,000 posts, so you can trust me. Send me the GPS coordinates, please & thanks :thumb:

.... :lol: :lol:

I feel like I better say this for those of you who didn't figure it out: I'm just kidding.
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

Hah, yeah I took the bait quick. Though Mark will tell you I didn't ask locale, at one time I probably would out of curiousity which use to eat at me....at this point I just want the pools known and protected, I'm getting old.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

dragoncjo wrote:Hah, yeah I took the bait quick. Though Mark will tell you I didn't ask locale, at one time I probably would out of curiousity which use to eat at me....at this point I just want the pools known and protected, I'm getting old.
I'm just messing. You are further down the road of herp-maturity than me. I saw the post and wanted to jump in my car immediately! :lol:
BenIsAlive

Post by BenIsAlive »

awsome pictures and find.
Darnell Brister

Post by Darnell Brister »

Very nice man. I'm upset I couldn't get down there with you.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

Great photos, great find!
herper1

Post by herper1 »

Thanks for all the comments. I dont feel harrassed, its not often I achieve fame on here so I am appreciating it. If I made it look easy, it wasnt, those 2 pics are the result of an entire winter of talking to locals, combing maps, reading everything I could, and countless scouting trips. All that work and the subject really wasnt that appreciative which is why I wasnt thrilled with the pics, but here are 2 more not so good ones...

dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

This is not me being a wet blanket, trust me, I just want everyone to be on the same page and be transparent with information. Please remember that tigers are endangered species and all herpers where asked by ENSP to stay away from breeding ponds back in 2009 (I think). Reason we were asked to stay away was so that law enforcement could do a better job at protecting ponds from overvisitation/harrassment. Law enforcement was having a tough time differentiating between good and bad. I'm re-stating this because this came up again this season in a separate incident. I'm sharing this so we are all safe, work on the same page, all can do our part to help and align ourselves with law enforcement/ENSP to help protect the species. Looking for tigers isn't illegal as long as its publicly accessible land and your abiding with laws in regards to habitat encroachment, harrassment, of an endangered species. This has nothing to do with this post, simply a friendly reminder.....also as always chytrid issues are a major reason for ENSP wanting folks away from pools.

Mark, thanks for wanting to submit a report of your finds, I'll pm the address.
Bobbleton

Post by Bobbleton »

oh yay . . . so you know, Darnell knows, which means Ryan needed a ride and now 15 other people are also in the loop. Its great when we share exact localities of the most rare species to as many people as we can . . . that way we can all protect them together!

Everyone make sure to thoroughly tromp through the breeding pools - I hear the tigers like that.
herper1

Post by herper1 »

I did not "share the locale" with anyone. I was supposed to meet a few herpers from the forum for a night of herping. Neither of them showed. I went out alone, no one knows all the locales I went to. Somebody (I think it was actually dragon) said a few years ago that we as herpers have a responsibility during the spring migration. I agree and I volunteer for an organization and do my part in surveys and crossings. However, I also remember that this is a hobby, A passion of mine. So I also go out and herp for the love of it. As long as my tax dollars go to buy the land, I am welcome to go and herp and photo as I please. Believe me, No salamanders were harmed in the making of the above photos. Brick, you were right, I am sorry I even made this post. My next one will contain nothing but Box turtles and Green frogs since that is all anyone can handle, even though those are becoming more rare.
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

My post had nothing to do with your adventure Mark, let me make that clear, you a good guy and I appreciate your willingness to help. I'm glad you found some and are sharing the info with ENSP. I wrote that as a reminder to folks who might seek them out as a copycat. I don't want to see people interrogated for doing what they feel is both helpful and legal. Not everyone knows the situations history and rules, so I was being transparent with information so we are all on the same page. I've sent similar things regarding the subject privately to some folks so again wanted to make sure everyone knew as well. In regards to Ryan he actually found two new sites in NJ that ENSP now knows about so I think everyone should just step back a little.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

awesome find! thats such a cool sal
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Did you find it outside???? :roll: Nice short sweet and to the point post, don't spoil it kids.
EyezOfTheWorld

Post by EyezOfTheWorld »

Bobbleton wrote:oh yay . . . so you know, Darnell knows, which means Ryan needed a ride and now 15 other people are also in the loop. Its great when we share exact localities of the most rare species to as many people as we can . . . that way we can all protect them together!

Everyone make sure to thoroughly tromp through the breeding pools - I hear the tigers like that.
first im gonna say , easy dude,......no disrespect here .i just came on here because im having a bad day and i thought this would cheer me up ( guess i thought wrong) if you read slowly bob ......herper1said he just scouted areas by endless homework and asking locals etc......
witch means he didnt previously know about it . wich means darnell didnt tell him about , witch means ryan didnt happen to just need some ride someday to give out a tiger locale .thats bull ............darnell is a good friend of mine . i like how he respectfully herps , hes respectful, hes going to school for the right thing . he dont give out spots , and i like his pet peeves on herping . unlike half the jabronies on this forum ( sorry guys)
and hasnt done anything me and chris asked him to do ( certain photos ,endangered/threatened giving locales , the whole nine yards etc, )

and for the fact i dont go out for tigers anymore becuase i have respect for the state and what they asked and reccomended in 2009 for the sake for the amphibian not my herping please .......before it was just something on my life list .

also darnell stated , he wish he could of made it ....meaning he was just gona go down with him ....said nothing about using his spots .........darnell didnt go and he stil found it ,. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

and thank you chris ........ i found and recorded several tigers at a spot previously unknown and was up for developement and putting small roads around the area for other reasons .....wich is now protected/studied by the right people and safe.
wheres my recognition ? ..........thank you chris . much love bro .

oh and 15 other people are in the loop? get your facts straight before you talk down about someone . ...i give you guys (chris ) all my corn information for the ID books and help any bit i cant .

im sorry for ranting but im highly offended . ...........i dont even post photos on her eof NJ herps out of respect of the state and there need to keep A-holes out of the pines with there wront intentions and
EyezOfTheWorld

Post by EyezOfTheWorld »

by the way .......i feel good about finding 2 new tiger locations . reporting them to the state (thanks to chris ) and knowing that there protected and there pools and land is now private :thumb:
Darnell Brister

Post by Darnell Brister »

EyezOfTheWorld wrote: first im gonna say , easy dude,......no disrespect here .i just came on here because im having a bad day and i thought this would cheer me up ( guess i thought wrong) if you read slowly bob ......herper1said he just scouted areas by endless homework and asking locals etc......
witch means he didnt previously know about it . wich means darnell didnt tell him about , witch means ryan didnt happen to just need some ride someday to give out a tiger locale .thats bull ............darnell is a good friend of mine . i like how he respectfully herps , hes respectful, hes going to school for the right thing . he dont give out spots , and i like his pet peeves on herping . unlike half the jabronies on this forum ( sorry guys)
and hasnt done anything me and chris asked him to do ( certain photos ,endangered/threatened giving locales , the whole nine yards etc, )
Thanks a lot man. Seeing that kind of ignorance on a public forum is getting very annoying. It is also very discouraging to people who post here and want to be involved. I'm a Wildlife Management and Conservation major because I love these animals and have a great respect for them.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I'll vouch for you Darnell. You've seen a lot really quickly, which bothers a lot of people. Shoot - it bothers me that you've seen stuff that I've been searching for for years (I don't deny it). Whether you were helped or not, who cares. Everyone's received some sort of help along the way. I also know you to work for your own spots, and you've even made discoveries in my own back yard that I've missed for years.

Plus on top of that, you are going to school for conservation. That all seems pretty legit to me.

As far as ignorance on the public forum, its gonna happen. People will jump to conclusions, make mistakes, get reamed out, etc. etc. That happens and most of us have been on both sides of it.

Yet, with all the negatives that people worry about in regards to the forum, the positives are still here. This forum, like it or not, serves as a platform for people from all different walks of life, and at all levels of herping. Some will never find anymore than a garter. Some will not return logs correctly. Some will walk into water with eggmasses. It's our responsibility to look out for that and hopefully deliver the message in a way that doesn't get overshadowed by its tone.

On the other hand, some will move on to track pines, or timbers, or go to school for conservation and who knows what the future holds for them. Why squash that excitement when it starts?

Zappalorti - What if he was a young adult who just found his first pine snake, and he puts up a picture of him holding it. Than we all jump down his throat. So he hides in the shadows and stops posting. He loses all the comraderie. He herps for another year. Finds a few more snakes, but can't share his passion with anyone. He's scared to. So he loses interest and applies to law school. Wouldn't that be a loss to the future of herps?

I say we police and moderate these forums, but why rip into people? We can educate without disrespect. Are there bad apples, sure. But ripping into them will just make them go into hiding and keep doing what they're doing. The good ones that get ripped into could be a whole different story. How many Zappalorti's (or pick your own herp guy) are we crushing as they just get started?

This forum can be used to foster passion and lead people to bigger, better things. For some, it might just be a stepping stone, for others a launching pad. I know my message will fall on a lot of deaf ears. But I roadcruised a soap box on the way in this morning, so I figured I'd use it. :)
EyezOfTheWorld

Post by EyezOfTheWorld »

hey it wasnt my friend who was PULLING TIGERS OUT OF PONDS , BREAKING THE ICE just for a photo op in NEW JERSEYS PINE BARRENS A FEW YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! then posting it on the forum like some sort of good example or something for the rest of us .

like thats not greedy habitat destruction .

and by the way guys i dont even go on the board anymore
out of the the people on here , i decided who is legit , who i can trust ....and the very very very few people i will herp with ( in the pines nonetheless)
ive been asked by almost everyone to take them out .................nope just marc and darnell are my 2 favorite herpers . ofcourse running into herpers from here int he woods (ben , jason , scobel ) at spots we both know ends up with us teaming up for the rest of the walk . makes sense huh ? becuase im pretty sure everytime im out i run intosomeone who already knows a spot .

someone better burn that kaufield book NOW!!!!!!!! or leave me alone and out of this .

and for another record , me and darnell found mostly new spots of our own in the recent seasons.the only spots i bring him too he already knew about . so like i said ...we would just team up and hike it together . teamwork ...in the name of science .in fact darnell found a coastal one of the first trips in the spring at a place i never even found them at before . .........not bad darnell . i had nothing to do with that .

i dont show anyone anything ...........i just find interesting species while i hike with people .
they dont call me eyez for no reason. this is my niche in life . it feels good , i like helping .and its a surefire way to clear the head and stay happy and sane .

this year i have a new goal ..........to find an endangered species were they havnt been recorded at before or in ages.to stop construction of shopping plazas, housing ,developements, roads , and foresting for agriculture etc.

i know i can do it ......and the reward will be nice wether i get any credit for anything .
chris , bobbleton, obey jsm , nate? ............... any tasks ?or will i be scolded for trying to help the wellbeing of these reptiles future in such a junked up overpopulated state .
i dont just have fun .......i try to help .....i watch areas that are poached for vehicles/traffic , i keep in close contact with chris when i think somethings fishy or see shady vehicles. and i report everything i find to the right person it may concern .and i clean up any trash i see in the pines from scumbags that like to litter in gods given earth ...our only earth .

excuse me for the rants everybody , i take things way too personally , but if i didnt ....ide be a wuss,bleh
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

brick911 wrote:I'll vouch for you Darnell. You've seen a lot really quickly, which bothers a lot of people. Shoot - it bothers me that you've seen stuff that I've been searching for for years (I don't deny it). Whether you were helped or not, who cares. Everyone's received some sort of help along the way. I also know you to work for your own spots, and you've even made discoveries in my own back yard that I've missed for years.

Plus on top of that, you are going to school for conservation. That all seems pretty legit to me.

As far as ignorance on the public forum, its gonna happen. People will jump to conclusions, make mistakes, get reamed out, etc. etc. That happens and most of us have been on both sides of it.

Yet, with all the negatives that people worry about in regards to the forum, the positives are still here. This forum, like it or not, serves as a platform for people from all different walks of life, and at all levels of herping. Some will never find anymore than a garter. Some will not return logs correctly. Some will walk into water with eggmasses. It's our responsibility to look out for that and hopefully deliver the message in a way that doesn't get overshadowed by its tone.

On the other hand, some will move on to track pines, or timbers, or go to school for conservation and who knows what the future holds for them. Why squash that excitement when it starts?

Zappalorti - What if he was a young adult who just found his first pine snake, and he puts up a picture of him holding it. Than we all jump down his throat. So he hides in the shadows and stops posting. He loses all the comraderie. He herps for another year. Finds a few more snakes, but can't share his passion with anyone. He's scared to. So he loses interest and applies to law school. Wouldn't that be a loss to the future of herps?

I say we police and moderate these forums, but why rip into people? We can educate without disrespect. Are there bad apples, sure. But ripping into them will just make them go into hiding and keep doing what they're doing. The good ones that get ripped into could be a whole different story. How many Zappalorti's (or pick your own herp guy) are we crushing as they just get started?

This forum can be used to foster passion and lead people to bigger, better things. For some, it might just be a stepping stone, for others a launching pad. I know my message will fall on a lot of deaf ears. But I roadcruised a soap box on the way in this morning, so I figured I'd use it. :)

I would like this post on facebook if I could. Now everyone be careful out there or the Lorax of Herptiles will come out of the woods and get you! Keep your complaints to a minimum cause this isn't fun but like a bad tv show, I can't turn away.

Wouldn't it be better if someone just told me where the tigers were so I don't have to go walking around their habitat and risk stepping on one? :crazyeyes: And again for those of you with no concept of sarchasm, that is all.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

incuhead2000 wrote: like a bad tv show, I can't turn away.
The NE Forum could be a decent reality tv show with all the drama