Tucson-Field Herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

wilbozz

Tucson-Field Herping

Post by wilbozz »

I am new to the area (military), would love to go out herping asap. I will drive (pay for gas) if someone can show me around. Hit me up here or @ [email protected]. Thanks in advance-Will
reptilist

Re: Tucson-Field Herping

Post by reptilist »

You'll need to invest more time getting to 'know' people in the hobby before you get the response you seek. Good luck!
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

reptilist wrote:You'll need to invest more time getting to 'know' people in the hobby before you get the response you seek. Good luck!
Ah ... seems Will is trying to get to "know" folks who herp ... give him a break, particularly as he's in the Military.

Perhaps if you post a bit about yourself, and go to the AZ Chapter site you'll conect up with someone. I'd do it but I'm in RI.

Keep trying Will; some good sameritan herper should eventually contact you
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Have you ever been in the military Jeff?
I have.
Give me a break.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

1979 - 1988, 443rd CA Company, US Army Reserve... if you must know ... clearly you are from the "don't ask, don't tell" side of the herper world.

I find it disturbing that thare are so many who get all upset about someone wanting to connect with a fellow herper to share the experience. I travel around the country, and have stop overs here and there; there is no time to develop spots for myself. So my only alternative is to seek friendly assistance, which I've been able to do a number of times. Thank goodness not everyone shares your attitude.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You sure jump to conclusions for being an old guy!
There is nothing "clear" that you can possibly tell about me from this post.

I was just being polite to tell the guy why no one was responding to his plea.
Now leave me out of your rant.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Allow me to chime in...(why I have no idea, but here it goes).

Posting a single post saying "I want to find herps, I'll pay for gas, let's go!" will not endear one to those in Arizona that could likely assist him in his quest...Jeffrey, you're in RI so I doubt you know the realities of Arizona and why so many that live here hold things very close to the vest.

RI doesn't have thousands of visitors every year, trompin' around it's natural places, specifically looking for herps. RI also doesn't have nearly the number of "sensitive" (i.e. commercially desirable) herps that Az does. Many of us that have helped people we didn't know...and we've been burned for it.

Am I saying don't help this guy out? No...I'm saying that if he's the one that wants to find stuff, then it's up to him to introduce himself and tell us a little about himself. He's the one asking for assistance, not the other way around. As a rule, I do not take people out that I don't know unless someone I know and trust will vouch for them and their ethics...Even then, I most likely will selectively choose the areas we herp if I don't know them.

If the guy is living in the Tucson area, there's no reason he can't do a little research on his end as well...Doing so shows that he's serious.

As far as him being in the military...that's great, but that's really not germane to his request. I wouldn't treat him differently than anyone else I didn't know as relates to herping.

My .02
-Kris
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Jeffreyrichard wrote:Thank goodness not everyone shares your attitude.
Not trying to pick sides, but reptilist didn't actually say anything about his own attitude. He made a true statement about how things typically work on this forum. He even wished him 'good luck!'

Just sayin'
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

azatrox wrote:Allow me to chime in...(why I have no idea, but here it goes).

Posting a single post saying "I want to find herps, I'll pay for gas, let's go!" will not endear one to those in Arizona that could likely assist him in his quest...Jeffrey, you're in RI so I doubt you know the realities of Arizona and why so many that live here hold things very close to the vest.

RI doesn't have thousands of visitors every year, trompin' around it's natural places, specifically looking for herps. RI also doesn't have nearly the number of "sensitive" (i.e. commercially desirable) herps that Az does. Many of us that have helped people we didn't know...and we've been burned for it.

Am I saying don't help this guy out? No...I'm saying that if he's the one that wants to find stuff, then it's up to him to introduce himself and tell us a little about himself. He's the one asking for assistance, not the other way around. As a rule, I do not take people out that I don't know unless someone I know and trust will vouch for them and their ethics...Even then, I most likely will selectively choose the areas we herp if I don't know them.

If the guy is living in the Tucson area, there's no reason he can't do a little research on his end as well...Doing so shows that he's serious.

As far as him being in the military...that's great, but that's really not germane to his request. I wouldn't treat him differently than anyone else I didn't know as relates to herping.

My .02
-Kris
Kris ... thanks for the response. I appreciate a good conversation and debate on the topic.

First, let me say that I do understand and can appreciate the concern about destruction to the environment and poaching reptiles. And while we may not get the volume of tourist in RI, understand that most here are undesirable NYers, so that makes up for quantity differences (just kidding ... I hate the Yankees and Jets, and now the Giants ...).

Seriously though, my contention is with the nature of responses ... why not offer something positive (notice my response?) rather than a curt one-liner. I'm a glass half-full person ... I'll give them a chance to prove themselves rather than dismiss them. There are certainly friendlier ways to offer help without giving up potentially damaging information to the wrong person ... Trust and verify ...

This is also personal from the perspective that I travel and always look to meet new herpers who would assist me for with a day in the field ... I don't in these situations have time to research on my own so I seek advice and partnering opportunities. Yes, I explain my background and intentions (NO collecting, no destruction, only photos and the thrill of descovery) and will point to references in other chapters. But if everyone is ultrasceptical then herpers like me suffer greatly. As I said, trust but verify ...

Finally, I do think being in the Military is a big deal and gives that individual more than the average stranger ... serving our Country IS the greatest honor and sacrifice one can make ... so that buys something in my book.

My .02 ...

BTW, I've been reading your posts in the AZ chapter ... pretty cool. MUCH more exciting than RI, though we have better Salt Water Fish (Stripers!). I'd love to get out there again some day and hook up with y'all ...

Thanks
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

King Cam got it right.
Jeffy got wrong.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

I apologize if indeed you weren't being snide and rude ... but perception is reality. You might try to come across a bit friendlier. Perhaps you can start by addressing folk with appropriate names...
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Jeff,
Your perception of reality is skewed. My perception on the other hand is spot on, because I see that you are nothing but a pompous drama queen who comes on forums to stir up shit. We all know your type, and every now and then I regretfully get dragged into this kind of BS. It's really embarrassing to me to be associated with forum fights so I've erased most of what I already wrote in order to make it short and sweet.

You misread my post entirely by assigning your own story to my words. It is you who made it all up! If there is any ill intent, it germinated in your mind, not mine. I was being friendly, you were looking for a reason to be offended.

I don't come on this website to get in a tiff with anyone, so please, leave me out of your F'd up world and just stop talking to me. Goodbye.

'os
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Seriously though, my contention is with the nature of responses ... why not offer something positive (notice my response?) rather than a curt one-liner. I'm a glass half-full person ... I'll give them a chance to prove themselves rather than dismiss them. There are certainly friendlier ways to offer help without giving up potentially damaging information to the wrong person ... Trust and verify ...

This is also personal from the perspective that I travel and always look to meet new herpers who would assist me for with a day in the field ... I don't in these situations have time to research on my own so I seek advice and partnering opportunities. Yes, I explain my background and intentions (NO collecting, no destruction, only photos and the thrill of descovery) and will point to references in other chapters. But if everyone is ultrasceptical then herpers like me suffer greatly. As I said, trust but verify ...

Finally, I do think being in the Military is a big deal and gives that individual more than the average stranger ... serving our Country IS the greatest honor and sacrifice one can make ... so that buys something in my book.

Perceptions being what they are, each will have his/her own. That said, most Az folks really are friendly (but guarded). Personally, I see no reason to be rude to others (especially considering I don't know them). We've recently had ac ouple of people post in the AZ Chapter forum looking for info/tips. I've certainly tried to help to the extent that I'm comfortable doing so with people I don't know.

There's a pervasive idea out there that AZ people hold everything a secret and don't like to share...I'll be the first to tell you that is not the case. I enjoy sharing info and observations with those I know and trust just as they do me. Perhaps it's a bit of a curse to live in an area that has so many amazing animals...(But I'll wager that if others lived here and truly valued it they'd adopt a similarly guarded outlook.) Even within "the AZ ranks" all is not hunky dory...There are some AZ herpers that I consider to be friends and I trust them implicitly...There are others that I just flat out don't get along with for various reasons...And that's fine. As long as they do their thing, I'll do mine and everyone can get on with life. I suppose it's the same everywhere to one degree or another.

I'd be lying if I told you that I haven't attempted to get the help of the locals when I'm in another country or state...I think most of us have. Some people will help, and others won't. Such is life I suppose.

As far as the military, I mean no disrespect to those that have served and those that continue to do so. My only point is that there are bad apples in EVERY bunch and the military is no exception. Therefore, there is no implicit trust as relates to herping simply because someone has served. On the flipside, there are many outstanding men and women that serve as well, and it's my belief that they (the good people) can see and appreciate why those of us living in the Copper state don't broadcast the whos/whats/wheres of what goes on here publicly.

-Kris
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

There's a sticky posted atop the AZ chapter forum covering preciesly this dead horse of a discussion: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=522 And it's precisely there for precisely those that never bother to read it.

Reptilist never used any perjorative words in his response. You did Jeffrey.

Perception isn't reality. Fortunate for you. I refuse to believe you're actually the sanctimonious blowhard you've come across as in this discussion. But you're not giving folks a lot to work with here in your defense. Rather than engage in giving others the benefit of the doubt of semantics, you chose to engage in a pissing war with one of the wiser and more respected Az herpers. Not a bright move, regardless of resume.

Any person in AZ would be wise to touch base with the AZ chapter, introduce themselves, and if they reside here, to perhaps join and share a little of themselves. A good faith foot forward speaks volumes.

When one does so, the Az chapter, and indeed the NAFHA, can be generous in direction. In fact, the info is already all there in the Az forums. In spades.

I've hosted out of towners and even strangers before. And had a blast doing so. Granted, they didn't come to town with the crap-flinging attitude of gibbons at the zoo on "extra fiber" day. Holy hell those things have good aim.