12 months of herping in Iowa

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

12 months of herping in Iowa

Post by Don Becker »

I found a brown snake out basking, and was excited that I had found herps, not just in 12 consecutive months, but 12 consecutive months in Iowa! Not only that, but 12 months in my home county! When I got home to verify my records, I realized I had actually found brown snakes last February, so the ones I found in January completed my cycle. Either way, lets review the cycle in Iowa (finds from outside my home county will be included).

February 2011 started my 12 month cycle with just a brown snake.

March 2011 got the year going with some uncommon species for Iowa.

April 2011 turned up a few more spring regulars

May 2011 was a very active time for me

June 2011 had some excellent Iowa finds

July 2011 included a couple county records (not just for HERP), and something that is always a treat to see

August 2011 was spent in the local rivers mostly

September 2011 included more aquatic herps and the first milk snake ever found in a park that I have frequented for the last 10 years.

October 2011 started slowing things down. I still can't guess where this painted was coming from or going to.

November 2011 started my streak of brown snakes. Not just at my favorite wall, but one crossing the parking lot too

December 2011 turned up some painted turtles trapped in a man hole, as well as my normal brown snakes (can you find his head?)

January 2012 was just brown snakes, but officially completed my 12 month cycle.

And just because I thought it completed my 12 month cycle, here is my February brown from today

https://www.psychoticnature.com/blog/8- ... ng_in_iowa
http://www.iowaherps.com
Todd Pierson

Re: 12 months of herping in Iowa

Post by Todd Pierson »

Don, you're the man. I dig the Pituophis!
salamanderhunter

Post by salamanderhunter »

Thanks for posting. I've gotten paints out in the middle of bfe as well. I think they wander almost as much as snappers.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Decent finds Don, but nothing beats those browns!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Nice work on the year around Don.. :thumb:

I enjoyed your Iowa tour.. :beer:

Love that little Milksnake :D

Fundad
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Very good stuff.
What is the story on the well (circular concrete with you in it?) and turtles?
justinm

Post by justinm »

Looks like the Blandings are cheap now. I only have one pic from way too far away. Looks like I need to get back over there. Good on you for getting this done, it's quite the accomplishment.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

BillMcGighan wrote:Very good stuff.
What is the story on the well (circular concrete with you in it?) and turtles?
It is an old man hole. I have seen frogs using it in the past, but they are able to jump out. I have never seen turtles in it in the past. We had a warm day in December, and we were going to check a den site to see if snakes were out basking. On the way out we walked past the man hole, and I was telling my bro-in-law about the frogs that use it. We were looking at it, and I saw a shell under the ice. We pulled four out that day, and saw a firth that we couldn't reach. The near by pond was frozen over, so I we put them back in the water for the moment. I went back the next day and the pond was opened so I pulled the turtles out and put them into the pond. I ended up pulling out 6 turtles that day. I went back the next day to double check again, and found a 7th. I have never seen turtles in the man hole before this time. The man hole is not active, and does not connect to anything, so I assume they were wondering around and fell in.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

justinm wrote:Looks like the Blandings are cheap now. I only have one pic from way too far away. Looks like I need to get back over there. Good on you for getting this done, it's quite the accomplishment.
They started popping up out of no where. For the longest time, if we managed to see one a year, we were doing good, then one spring we went out and saw six adults basking at one time, and they have been a pretty common site ever since.
salamanderhunter

Post by salamanderhunter »

They started popping up out of no where. For the longest time, if we managed to see one a year, we were doing good, then one spring we went out and saw six adults basking at one time, and they have been a pretty common site ever since.
I saw that same phenomenon with paints. For several years there was only one adult. Then one year...boom....5 or 6 adults. I wonder if there is some weather variable that occurs in occasional years that spurs dispersal?