Introducing new herper?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

J-Miz

Introducing new herper?

Post by J-Miz »

Okay--I have known of this guy for a while now...not personally but have bumped into him in the field a couple times. He's a very skilled wildlife photographer (generally bird photography) and he lives very near to my residence. He apparently is becoming interested in herps, and as I'm a friend of his on some online networks (where some of my herp shots are displayed), he contacted me via email to inquire about how to find snakes, salamanders, etc. He is quite pumped, and as he is a good guy I wouldn't mind helping him out.

But I certainly have some concerns. He sent me an email today showing some document he created using maps.google.com in which he can place "clickable" points where data can be entered. He said he has sent the page to a few of his friends. He doesn't have many points as is because he's seen so little.

I have some productive flipping spots, and I'd rather have them not become made public on this page. How is the best way to introduce someone and give some localities, but explain and ask them to keep the spots hush? As a birder, he might not quite understand why there aren't herp-finding guides as there are bird-finding references. Truthfully, the idea of having a page like he has, while neat for personal use, makes me very nervous. I want to help, but for the welfare of the herps and (selfishly) fear that my spots might become less productive.

Any thoughts?
Andy Avram

Re: Introducing new herper?

Post by Andy Avram »

Ah, the curse of posting online. You enjoy interacting with like-minded people, but then you get to the point where questionable people want you to take them out.

No easy answer there...

Check your pm.
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

Sounds like he'll be out there doing his thing whether you help him along or not... might be best to mentor him a little and in doing so, explain the reasons for not disclosing good spots to others, putting the cover back properly, etc. Hopefully he'll be receptive to your advice and respectful of your concerns.
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

yeah, nothing wrong with "I'll gladly take you out, but you can't share my spots" if he's as trustworthy as you say he is. Also, point him over this-a-way. He'll understand the etiquette soon enough. Birders are just used to sharing everything online.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

If he seems trustworthy but you want to "feel him out" first, I'd explain to him that herpers aren't like birders in that we tend to keep our honey holes pretty hush hush...Once he acknowledges that he understands that, then take him out....I'd hold off on taking him to any of your sensitive locales or REAL honey holes until he has demonstrated that he respects your wishes and can abide by them. Once he does that repeatedly, I'd say he's earned your trust.

-Kris
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

withalligators wrote: Also, point him over this-a-way. He'll understand the etiquette soon enough.
I was going to suggest the same. No better place to learn the ropes, other than actually being in the field. Just giving general advice is always best and I also agree with Kris. Take him to a city park or something and show him some common species.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

azatrox wrote:If he seems trustworthy but you want to "feel him out" first, I'd explain to him that herpers aren't like birders in that we tend to keep our honey holes pretty hush hush...Once he acknowledges that he understands that, then take him out....
I'd say that the main difference between herpers and birders is that while birders are there strictly to observe and photograph, and don't collect their quarry, some herpers do collect and some harm the habitat in the process of collecting (or observing). It's wonderful that, in the last 20 years or so, herpers have generally gotten to be more like birders in terms of minimal impact on the habitat and the animals, but there are still plenty of people out there who never replace cover and who collect everything they see.

Personally, I'd never want any of my best spots documented like your friend has planned. I used to have a couple of spots that I'd take newbies, but they weren't my better locations and they were pretty well known. Spend some time with a newbie in the field and see how he does with your "lesser" locations and then see if you want to trust him with your "honey holes". Once the cat's out of the bag it's too late to put it back.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

spots documented like your friend has planned
^ A perfect recipe for dissapointment.

I'm sure there's plenty of places you can take him that he'll be excited about without showing a site you aren't through with yet.

I give the areas I frequent an A,B or C rating.

A) I go alone. No exceptions.
B) Might take someone from out of area there to accomplish something we attempted but failed at elsewhere.
C) Borders on being a "community" spot but hasn't quite gained that status yet. (Where you should take him, imo.)

Another big factor is the person in question. I've got friends whom I fish some great "holes" with but would never take them to an "A" site for herps (and vice verse.) In my world there's different levels of access allowed on different fronts. I'm sure you'll make the right call.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Tim