So what breeding plans do y'all have for 2012?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

So what breeding plans do y'all have for 2012?

Post by Joseph S. »

Just wondering what you guys hope to produce/try for this year. Feel free to post photos and tips!

For me it is mostly groups of animals missing males unfortunately. So it looks like.

Northern blue tongue skinks(first successful lock up yesterday)

Poss...African eggeating snakes?(anyone know where to get a male?)
and gargoyle geckos...
Paul White

Re: So what breeding plans do y'all have for 2012?

Post by Paul White »

Some florida kings...that's about it this year. next year I hope for Chinese King Rats and possibly cribos (I have some 2011 cribos...in 2013 I'm hoping they're breedable).

I'd also like get a small colony of feeder geckos established...does that count?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I am trying to breed my mexican hogs this year, and debating trying my Florida pines.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

My corns were going at it the other day (regular and a ghost)

Going to try for mountain patchnose and possibly longnose

And if my cochwhips, rosies and gophersnakes mate that would be cool as well, not counting on it though.

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Wait, you're breeding longnoses? (lecontei)??
shorty54

Post by shorty54 »

I currently have two sets of Ball Pythons together.
Mojave Champange x Black Pastel
Mojave Bee Ghost x Normal
Jlassiter

Post by Jlassiter »

Mexicana, greeri, thayeri, ruthveni, alterna, pyromelana, knoblochi, zonata, nigrita, holbrooki, splendida, californiae, situla and diones.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Paul White wrote:Wait, you're breeding longnoses? (lecontei)??
Gonna try, got a pair last summer, both are eating lizards and occasionally mice. Trying to get them converted completely.

Josh
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

I've got a pair of longnose as well, but they haven't bred yet (not sure why). To get mine going 100% on mice, I just let them get....hungry! They both now gobble down mice with abandon.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I may breed my appalachola (sp) kings. They're pretty awesome snakes. I'll breed my Ball pythons if my male decides he likes ladies. I have a pinstripe, mojave (male), and a spider. All the other stuff isn't getting bred, at least right now.
Herpin_Time

Post by Herpin_Time »

Ill be breeding tegus tegus and more tegus this year maybe some Albino Bullfrogs too.
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

I'm hoping to produce all three species of Madagascan hognose snake (Got L. madagascariensis last year). Things are looking good for African mole snakes. Trying again with the Argentine boas, Bredl's pythons, and green tree pythons. Incubating some Rio Fuerte beaded lizard eggs as we speak (should be hatching within the next month or so).
justinm

Post by justinm »

How big are your Mole snakes, and can you post pics?
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Terrible "photos" (screenshots from video with a camera that does poorly indoors) but here are the skinks.

Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

justinm wrote:How big are your Mole snakes, and can you post pics?
I will have to take some. The female is about 4 feet or so, the male is a over 3 feet or so. Raised them both from CB babies.

She is the dark olive color that most of the ones in the U.S. are, and the male is paler olive with sort of a reddish wash. Very Pituophis like, even with the hissing.
Hornemadness

Post by Hornemadness »

mexican rosy boas, and blue tongue skinks as well as western skinks. Next year hopefully i can try to get my pink tongues to breed.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Everglades rats, bogeys, and hopefully sonoran lyres. Scarlet kings too if I manage to find an available adult male. My male is still a year off.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

I expect two and possibly a 3rd late clutch of Eastern Indigos...a long process, they are gravid now but I don't expect to have hatchlings until July or so...
Possible sand boas, the Staub/Treacher line of Eryx johnii.
Vic
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

hogg island boas (looks like she just came down from an ovulation), woma pythons (appears to have follicle development, locks up often), trans-pecos ratsnakes (fingers crossed; due to mild winter they were pulled up early).
Verhoodled wrote:Everglades rats, bogeys, and hopefully sonoran lyres. Scarlet kings too if I manage to find an available adult male. My male is still a year off.
Would be interested in sonoran lyres!
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Nshepard wrote:hogg island boas (looks like she just came down from an ovulation), woma pythons (appears to have follicle development, locks up often), trans-pecos ratsnakes (fingers crossed; due to mild winter they were pulled up early).
Verhoodled wrote:Everglades rats, bogeys, and hopefully sonoran lyres. Scarlet kings too if I manage to find an available adult male. My male is still a year off.
Fingers crossed! It will be my first kick at the can with breeding lyres. Getting the hatchlings going is the trick. But we've an abundant supply of lizards just outside that should help whet the appetite. I'll keep you posted. They're an underrated species, the best kept secret as US colubrids go. That's subjective, of course, and I'm biased. :)

Best of luck with the womas! That's a terribly tempting species I've a growing itch for.

I botched a clutch of 6 suboc eggs. Heartbreaking. She laid them behind her egg box, in the aspen, and I didn't realize it until they had dried out beyond rescue. I missed her cue, her sudden disinterest in the egg box that she had been prepping daily the week before.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Verhoodled wrote:
Nshepard wrote:hogg island boas (looks like she just came down from an ovulation), woma pythons (appears to have follicle development, locks up often), trans-pecos ratsnakes (fingers crossed; due to mild winter they were pulled up early).
Fingers crossed! It will be my first kick at the can with breeding lyres. Getting the hatchlings going is the trick. But we've an abundant supply of lizards just outside that should help whet the appetite. I'll keep you posted. They're an underrated species, the best kept secret as US colubrids go. That's subjective, of course, and I'm biased. :)

Best of luck with the womas! That's a terribly tempting species I've a growing itch for.

I botched a clutch of 6 suboc eggs. Heartbreaking. She laid them behind her egg box, in the aspen, and I didn't realize it until they had dried out beyond rescue. I missed her cue, her sudden disinterest in the egg box that she had been prepping daily the week before.
A buddy of mine has a male Lyre he raised up; has a pretty good appetite (mouse feeder). He's looking for a female, and after catching several in AZ during the last couple of years, I'm particularly interested in them. If your successful this year be sure to post it!

Its my second attempt at breeding the womas. The last attempt ended when I thought she ovulated and was gravid, thus I pulled the male out - ultimately too early. She appears to have follicle development late in the season, just now seeing it.

It will be my first attempt with subocs and their cooling period rarely made it down below 60F - so, we'll see.
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

Best of luck with the womas and subocs! I'll definitely keep you posted with the lyres.
Nir

Post by Nir »

Everybodys got super cool projects!

For me, I'm trying a trio of Western Hogs, trio of Black Milksnake, pair of Andean Milksnake, pair of Tiger ratsnake and a pair of longicaudas...

Should have lots of fun!!
Jordan S.

Post by Jordan S. »

Well, it will be my first breeding season, but here's what I got so far

A trio of Western Hognose. A Nebraska wc male, a Green Phase Female and a Red Phase normal male.

Florida Kingsnakes (Palm Beach County locale)

I NEED A MALE FOR HER! Eastern Hognose (Florida Panhandle locale)

Now for some future breeders!

Chain Kingsnakes from Levy County Florida! These are my favorite pair of kings, and they are growing fast! These are a little bit of older pictures because both of them are eating fuzzies now!

Chain Kingsnake (Mosaic male) and normal female Chain Kingsnake (Taylor County, Florida locale)

A fine Dade County locale Brooks Kingsnake. This one pictured here is a male, I will get a female for it, but for the most part, I really like Brooks and I will hope to look into adding this to my future projects!

That's pretty much all for now everyone.

-Jordan
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

None , those days are gone for me for awhile. Too busy trying to re-enthuse hobbiests to keep interested in the herps they already have, and finding placement in rescue centers and homes for the rest that cross my path.
DMong

Post by DMong »

Joseph S. wrote:Just wondering what you guys hope to produce/try for this year. Feel free to post photos and tips!

For me it is mostly groups of animals missing males unfortunately. So it looks like.

Northern blue tongue skinks(first successful lock up yesterday)

Poss...African eggeating snakes?(anyone know where to get a male?)
and gargoyle geckos...
I plan on producing many different types of Honduran milksnake morphs, Outer Banks kingsnakes (L.g.sticticeps), Florida kings (high-yellow strain), Some newly-discovered locality-specific "moonshine" ratsnakes (either an extreme form of hypo or t-plus albino gene?), and also breed a very unique whacky-looking locality W/C corn male in hopes of proving the crazy aberrant gene hereditary in the future. My pair of Blanchard's milksnakes (L.t.blanchardi) (extremely rare in any collection) should go next year that were sired by a patternless male captured just outside of Quintana Roo, Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. And I'll be growing up my 2011 pair of the ONLY known authentic bloodline known to exist in the U.S. or Europe central Guatemalan milksnakes (L.t.abnorma) for future propagation as well.

Here's one of the best of the best adult ghosts (Marc Bailey line) that I bred to the best extreme hypo Honduran for my "extreme ghost" project.....

Same snake as a tiny hatchling in 2007

The extreme hypo sire I produced in 2009 that bred with the above female ghost. They later produced some gorgeous hypo het anery's for the extreme ghost project I'm working on.

A few other extreme hypos I produced........

a cool little "hybino" (hypo x amel) 100% het anerythristic from last year

The male L.t.blanchardi that will hopefully breed next year.......

A photo of the D. P. Muth blanchardi in Markel's "Kingsnakes and Milksnakes" book depicting this subspecies....

My huge original sire "high-yellow" line Florida kingsnake breeder......

The original "high-yellow" line female as she became gravid.

Him having his way with her two years ago....

a few of their offspring....now breeder's themselves

a very high green/yellow female.......

another male they produced in 2009 (very old photo).......

Some more of their babies from this past year.....as you can see, they undergo a RIDICULOUS transformation as they mature!

The Outer Banks that will hopefully breed again this season and have another nice clutch like they did last year. (13 good eggs her first clutch)

Here is one of the males. He is a very unique aberrant/striped phenotype. Here he is as a tiny little 2008 hatchling....

Here he is as a young adult......

The other classic male breeding the female last year....

The classic patterned female with a clutch of her eggs last year.......

A pic of the following clutch beginning to hatch.....

a couple of the kids....

a classic phenotype......

a slightly aberrant individual....

and another classic pattern.......

Here is the full story on the locality-specific "moonshine" ratsnakes. Please scroll down toward the bottom of the page on the link below.

http://serpentinespecialties.webs.com/f ... ojects.htm

Here is the crazy-looking aberrant cornsnake I am going to try to prove hereditary soon. He was captured a few miles from the entrance of Everglades National Park in extreme southern Miami/Dade county. He is like a motley, aztec, and Tessera morph all rolled into one animal! :D

And last but certainly not least, here is one of the truly authentic central Guatemalan L.t.abnorma I will be working with. This line originates from a 2005 trio imported from the highlands of central Guatemala. There is ZERO L.t.polyzona influence in their genetic lineage (or anything else for that matter :) ). This is the only authentic line of these in this country or Europe.......guaranteed!. They used to be around here and there many years ago in the early/mid 90's, but have all but vanished due to them being mixed with other subspecies of triangulum by careless hobbyists over the years...namely the "hobby Hondurans" we have today. There are only two known genuine bloodlines of L.t.hondurensis in the hobby out of all the many countless THOUSANDS out there in the hobby mainstream. One is a true generic dark tangerine line, and the other is a genuine line of L.t.hondurensis from central Nicaragua that a good friend of mine works with.

thanks for looking everyone,...and happy breeding season to all!... :beer:

cheers, ~Doug
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Doug - Exemplary .
DMong

Post by DMong »

Kelly Mc wrote:Doug - Exemplary .
Thank you very much Kelly,....I'm glad you can appreciate some of those animals.

And a big KUDOS to you for your work and diligent efforts with re-locating unwanted and neglected herps!... :beer:

cheers, ~Doug
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

So much beauty and focus - Thanks Doug for sharing ~*~
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Hello Doug: Very neat. I'd love to see photos of the true hondurensis.

Do these abnorma then require similar conditions to gaigeae and andesiana? I understand these two species prefer it cooler than the rest. Do you happen to know the story behind their introduction to the hobby? I understand gaigeae were collected by someone in the highlands of Costa Rica and brought in, not sure of andesiana but I hear they all descend from a single pair brought to Europe.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Doug, good to see you posting on here!
justinm

Post by justinm »

It's weird to see Scott's name brought up here. I know him well, but not in keeping hobby.
DMong

Post by DMong »

Joseph S. wrote:Hello Doug: Very neat. I'd love to see photos of the true hondurensis.

Do these abnorma then require similar conditions to gaigeae and andesiana? I understand these two species prefer it cooler than the rest. Do you happen to know the story behind their introduction to the hobby? I understand gaigeae were collected by someone in the highlands of Costa Rica and brought in, not sure of andesiana but I hear they all descend from a single pair brought to Europe.
Hi Joseph,....

A good friend of mine and I just compiled a HUGE detailed blog of the complete morph history of Honduran milksnakes for "Herp Nation". We just submitted it to Scott Waters the other day, so it should be appearing there any time now when he is done working on it. Here is the blog link to where it will appear soon. Check back every now and then to see if it has been added with the other two blogs Ross Padilla has done. This will be the largest "go-to" source for all the morphs, their histories, the people involved with them, and countless photos depicting the morphs and their many unique variations. A photo of the central Nicaraguan L.t.hondurensis one of my friends owns is featured right at the very top of the blog depicting a true wild import tricolor.

http://www.herpnation.com/category/hn-b ... s-padilla/

Vivid Reptiles(edit) has worked with a pure tangerine line of authentic L.t.hondurensis for well over 20 years now, but I believe one of the original breeders just passed away fairly recently, so I don't exactly know if he will personally have any of them available this coming season, or not. However, I do know some folks that have animals from his "old-school" bloodline, so they can still be obtained through certain sources.

I also know of a truly authentic import bloodline of "Flores/Largo de Peten" polyzona in the hobby that originates from northern Guatemala, as well as other authentic triangulum.

Well, the L.t.abnorma don't seem to need quite the same cooler conditions as andesiana and gaigeae do, and can basically be kept more like the hobby "Hondurans" can, but I am betting it would also be of some benefit to them in doing so just the same. They also inhabit more moderate elevations too, but not the lowlands like hondurensis, polyzona, stuarti, and oligozona do for example. A temp gradient on each side of their enclosure for them to thermoregulate would certainy allow them to choose for themselves in any given situation anyway, and that is truly optimum for any snake in my opinion to be quite honest. The important thing is that the "cool" side is low enough, and they can retreat from the warmer temps after digestion....say in the mid 70's.

Well, people like Tom Crutchfield and other importers were bringing them in around the very late 70's, early 80's. I know people that saw bins of them personally in the early 80's at wholesale warehouse operations in Miami.

Here is what my good friend had mentioned recently regarding the history on Black milks.......There is also a new recent bloodline of gaigeae in the hobby being worked with by a friend of mine. I will see about the locality specifics on those sometime soon as well.

Black milksnake origin history:

The San Antonio Zoo didn't collect any of the founding stock themselves. It was collected by Fred Antonio and George Van Horn.

A year and a half ago, Paul Polzin and I decided to get as much information on gaigeae in the hobby today as we could. What we found was that Fred Antonio and George Van Horn collected what they thought was a mussurana in the mid 1980's between Limon and Siquirres at the locality of Blanco, Costa Rica (very near Liverpool just west of Puerto Limon). That adult female laid eleven eggs for them, which hatched on Sept. 14, 1985, and all were of course tri-colored.

One pair of those babies was obtained by Alan Kardon of the San Antonio Zoo. Additionally, Tom Crutchfield had imported a 4' wild-caught male that was almost totally jet black and big-bodied, around December 1984 from somewhere in Costa Rica. Tom had told me then it came from a collector in Costa Rica who had permits to collect it and a male stuarti that Tom also had for sale at the time. The San Antonio Zoo also obtained this 4' male snake. So we now know that all 2.1 of the San Antonio Zoo founder gaigeae stock were Costa Rican animals, and ones that all get black very quickly.

The Central Florida Zoo line can be traced primarily to some of those original eleven hatchlings from Blanco, as well as possibly a few others that Fred Antonio and George Van Horn collected later in the 1980's from the Turrialba/Siquirres region in Costa Rica. And from my understanding, the Mark Bell line is a mix of Central Florida Zoo stock with San Antonio Zoo stock. So actually, the San Antonio Zoo line and the Central Florida Zoo lines seem to be closely related, and for the most part, are locality animals.

So it seems that all of the gaigeae in the hobby today are from Costa Rican origin, although different localities within the highlands of Costa Rica. In addition to the locality of Providencia (San Jose province) that Jeff and Dell are working with and Shannon's stock from Guayacan/Siquirres (Limon province), there also is locality stock out there from Miramar in the Puntarenas province.

As far as precisely when and who imported the first L.t.andesiana into the country, I don't know right off the top of my head, but I can easily find that out with a email or two from some great sources I know. I also had a pair of L.t.andesiana in the early 90's when they were quite expensive and extremely rare to see in the hobby.

Here's a pic of the male as a young juvenile.......

Anyway, look for that new HONDURAN blog that will be featured soon,.......... it will be like no other Honduran source found ANYWHERE!!

cheers, ~Doug
DMong

Post by DMong »

Cole Grover wrote:Doug, good to see you posting on here!

Joseph, in case Doug doesn't see this, the abnorma are Scott Ballard's line. Your gaigeae story is mostly correct. There are several lines/localities in the hobby (the ones that have been kept pure). The andesiana story, however, is incorrect. They're all (mostly, anyway) descended from stock produced by a zoo in Texas.
Hey Colester!,...fancy seeing YOU here!.. :D

So do you know exactly when the Texas zoo obtained these andesiana by any chance?...........thanks!

~Doug
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Doug,

I'll e-mail or call you. I've got the pdf somewhere describing their breeding methods. Lamar was involved, too. I'll find it and get it to you. Also, I believe it was Vivid (Tim) who had the old-school tangerine hondurensis, but Jason (Envy) may have had, too.

-Cole
DMong

Post by DMong »

Cole Grover wrote:Doug,

I'll e-mail or call you. I've got the pdf somewhere describing their breeding methods. Lamar was involved, too. I'll find it and get it to you. Also, I believe it was Vivid (Tim) who had the old-school tangerine hondurensis, but Jason (Envy) may have had, too.

-Cole

geeez!,...I'm a real dorkus!..LOL!,..yes, I meant to say "Vivid" (Tim G.), but inadvertently typed "Envy" instead..HAHA!......ARRRGH! :x

I'll look forward to the email or call bro!

~Doug
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Doug, it was a rough/busy afternoon. I'll try to get in touch tomorrow. I know what you meant - just razzing you a little, buddy.
Hornemadness

Post by Hornemadness »

Well i can add eutropis multifasciata (golden or sun skink) to my list of breeding projects. I recently found a petco in my area that has these. What are the odds that i would find a tropical skinks from the same area as the snakes i have that like to eat them as babies (i read a research paper on viper boas were they were listed in the gut contents of juvenile and hatchling viper boas)?
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

copulation last night! w00t! Possible double het axanthic/hypo male mating a hypo het axanthic female long and hard. Some courting between an axanthic and a normal, some courting between an albino and a white side (I didn't leave that pair overnight due to extreme size differences--he's nearly 900 grams and she's like 350).

Spending a good 2-3 hours in the building today and I'll put my albino and whiteside back together...my female WS is deep blue and I'm not sure if she's ovulating or actually gravid. I saw courtship but it seems really early for her to actually be knocked up. And my mosiac LOOKS gravid but she isn't acting like it at all.
DMong

Post by DMong »

Paul White wrote:copulation last night! w00t! Possible double het axanthic/hypo male mating a hypo het axanthic female long and hard. Some courting between an axanthic and a normal, some courting between an albino and a white side (I didn't leave that pair overnight due to extreme size differences--he's nearly 900 grams and she's like 350).

Spending a good 2-3 hours in the building today and I'll put my albino and whiteside back together...my female WS is deep blue and I'm not sure if she's ovulating or actually gravid. I saw courtship but it seems really early for her to actually be knocked up. And my mosiac LOOKS gravid but she isn't acting like it at all.
Yeah, I am sure those females are swelled from ovulation, being it is so early, Paul. Good luck with them! :beer:

~Doug
Don

Post by Don »

Your OBX kings blew me away. VERY nice!
DMong

Post by DMong »

Don wrote:Your OBX kings blew me away. VERY nice!
Thank you, I'm glad you like those guy's as well. They are definitely a very unique, isolated race of getula for sure! :)

cheers, ~Doug
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Doug, you've got mail! It's always nice to see you post animals. You've got an exemplary collection of healthy stock. I'm surprised nobody's commented on the Blanchard's! You've got to be one of like three people in North America with that form!

-Cole
DMong

Post by DMong »

Cole Grover wrote:Doug, you've got mail! It's always nice to see you post animals. You've got an exemplary collection of healthy stock. I'm surprised nobody's commented on the Blanchard's! You've got to be one of like three people in North America with that form!

-Cole
Yes, thanks a million buddy for the emails and the kind words on the collection bro!. I replied back pronto.

I very much agree Cole, besides the confiscated D.P. Muth animal in a few king/milksnake books (now residing in the Nashville Zoo), they are the only bloodline known to exist in America or Europe, and only a very small limited few own any of these as you mentioned.

~Doug
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Sonoran Lyre snakes sound awesome!

My projects this year will be: Sibon nebulatus, Leptodiera annulata, Sonoran Desert Boas (already gravid I believe), Candoia carinata, Candoia paulsoni, Candoia bibroni australis, Corallus hortulanus (Tigers, leopards, and possible hypos), Haitian boas, white-lined geckos

and of course

BPs should be produced (black pastels 50% & 66% het ghost, super black pastels 50% het ghost, black pastel ghosts, ghosts, super pastels, pastels, black pastel mojaves, mojaves, albinos 50% het pied 50% het axanthic, pieds 50% het albino).

In a 2-4 years I'll also be producing Mussuranas (pied and normal), Bimini Island Boas, and hopefully Jamaican boas and Boiga cynodon.

I also have an unpaired male JCP, male Oxyrhopus rhombifer, and a female DCI (which may be paired with the male JCP) I'm looking to pair up if anyone wants to do breeding loans.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'm trying not to breed anything either. The cost of incubating and feeding the young (plus time) does not come close to what I get in return here in Arizona.

My breeding days are done (I hope).

Past projects include Green Basilisks (B. plumifrons), Bearded Dragons, Ball Pythons, and Sulcata Tortoises. I'll probably keep getting the Sulcata. I just let them incubate in the dirt and whatever survives until I find them gets sold to a local dealer or given to friends.

Dave
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

CCarille: You are working with some pretty cool animals! Would love if you posted a thread on your Sibon and Candoia. How are Sibon to maintain in captivity?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Biker Dave wrote:My breeding days are done (I hope).
:cry:

Paul White wrote:copulation last night! w00t!

Nobody likes a braggart. 3.5 months till I see my bride again. :P
condyle

Post by condyle »

Pachymedusa dacnicolor, L.z.multifasciata ,some pyros, and some chondros.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

She's laid three so far and has at least one more to go!

Josh