Dangerous Animals Act Illinois

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

Dangerous Animals Act Illinois

Post by justinm »

Just an FYI this is in committee, feel free to contact your local Senator in Illinois. I did and was glad, there are a lot of rumors going around.

Dear Justin:

Thank you for your comments regarding SB3264. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

The current Illinois Dangerous Animals Act was written in 1969 and has a loophole in the law that allows the general public and pet stores to own venomous reptiles without any inspection authority or monitoring protocol. Because of this loophole in the current law and the fact that the exotic animal trade being more popular now, newer regulation of these animals is needed so that public health and safety is not jeopardized.

This proposed act recognizes that not all exotic species create a danger to be kept in captivity. A Dangerous Animals Advisory Committee will be formed so that as new data and science become available, the list of dangerous animals can be updated. This Committee can also seek input from and advise the public of new potential dangers from a species. The bill will offer permits to those who have met the requirements of experience, housing, and captive maintenance for those species allowable by law through administrative rules. As with the implementation of all administrative rules, the discussion of this permit process will require and provide a public comment period.

I understand that as currently drafted the language regarding some snakes may be too vague. The Department of Natural Resources will work with herpetologists on better defining reptile categories.

Please contact me at 773-769-1717 with any additional comments or concerns.

Best Regards,

Heather A. Steans

State Senator District 7

The senators email address is [email protected], the phone numbers are 217-782-8492, and of course the Chicago number (don't most Illinois Politicians have one?) 773-769-1717

This is a piggyback bill, due to the bad publicity the Big Snakes in the Everglades are receiving. It's time to make a call or send an email if you care. The way I understand it now is that all Boas and Pythons are up to be banned. The official language is being written by the ILDNR's Mike Stevens. There will also be some sort of permit process.
JBBoiler

Re: Dangerous Animals Act Illinois

Post by JBBoiler »

Hello Justin:

I have not yet had the opportunity to meet you, but it would be great to do so in the future. I am sure I could learn a lot. I don't post often and I don't respond very often as I am a novice at best and don't feel I have a lot to offer others on the forum; the vast majority of which have far more wisdom than myself. The same is probably the case with the posted subject, but sometimes I just have to put in my $0.02.

We are neighbors as I am a resident of Indiana. It is rare that a day goes by that I am not incredibly thankful to not reside in your state. Don't get me wrong, my state can be a bit backward and we have our own issues, but Illinois is in a league of it's own. Most of the people I have met from Illinois are wonderful and seemingly intelligent folks, but I can never figure out why they elect the politicians they do. Sometimes I really feel sorry for all of you, but then I remind myself that you are the ones (actually Chicago are the ones) who choose your leadership.

Maybe there is good reason to update the law created in 1969, but the one given by your senator does not seem adequate.

"Because of this loophole in the current law and the fact that the exotic animal trade being more popular now, newer regulation of these animals is needed so that public health and safety is not jeopardized."

Has there been a large increase in the number of incidents involving venomous or large snakes in your state? I hear on a fairly regular basis of people being mauled or killed by pit bulls in Illinois, but somehow I have missed all the reports of ball pythons (you said all pythons would be banned) killing people. I don't remember any reports of death caused by any captive kept venomous snakes. So, what is the sudden need to not jeopardize the safety or health of the public? Again, maybe I am way out of line and have simply missed these reports in the news.

"A Dangerous Animals Advisory Committee will be formed"

Great, another government committee in the second most bankrupt state in the country. The committee will be formed, "so that as new data and science become available, the list of dangerous animals can be updated." I can't wait to hear the new science.

Maybe it is the real reason and maybe not, but when I think of Illinois, this is unfortunately the quick conclusion I come to when it involves anything:

"The bill will offer permits"

I can just visualize a group of politicians sitting together trying to think of yet another way to increase revenue. Once you double the tolls, double the state income taxes, put red light cameras on every corner and run a good number of businesses out of the state, you have to really start digging into old laws to see how you can once again stick it to your residents.

I wish you and all others from Illinois the best of luck. If there is some way an Indiana hick can help, please let me know, but I don't think an Illinois Senator will care too much for what I have to say. I hope you can all be successful in either leaving the law as it stands or at least making any changes reasonable. We all know how these things tend to spread from one state to the next. If your efforts fail, you are all welcome to move next door. Just please don't vote the same way over here. That is a general statement and not one aimed at you, Justin.

I give your senator props for responding to your concerns, but from her response, it already appears as if she has made a decision. I suggest all of you follow Justin's advice and reach out to your representatives.

John B.