It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Grammar time
PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 11:07 pm 

Brian Hubbs wrote:
I don't know...I'd rather meet a bahlness. They can be fine, until you piss them off...and they get can-kicky.

Bahlness is better! I'm too ridgy to have thunk of that. Went Tuddies in the cow skulls.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 4:41 pm 

Lucky I wasn't around when this thread was active.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:53 pm 
This whole thread has been definatly rediculous.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 8:19 am 

Rob, ur spelling sux. U make us coloradans look like a buncha common face-eating chimps

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 9:48 am 

Now that this thread is has been placed in the Board Line and fully devolved into nonsense, I feel it would be the appropriate time to post this. It has herps!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 12:55 pm 

Yep, there's an iguana at 1:54. So Rob... let's make a parody of that video. You can be Nelly, i'll be one of the chicks

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 2:49 pm 

LOL and don't forget the Ball Python at 2:40.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 5:00 pm 
Joe Farah wrote:
Yep, there's an iguana at 1:54. So Rob... let's make a parody of that video. You can be Nelly, i'll be one of the chicks
I'm on it.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 5:03 pm 

I have a question or maybe 2.

When do you use a dash - and when are you supposed to use ... (ie; dot dot dot) Sometimes a dash is clearly the choice other times it seems kind of vague. Especially if one dash is already in action in the same sentence. How many dashes are allowed?

And what exactly is one of these ~ I like ~ .

What are ~ and can I just use them as accents that look like tiny snakes?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm 

I don't think there are any rules about dots and hyphens in those usages, because I don't believe that they're considered proper grammar. Their common usage in the kinds of situations you see them in nowadays seems to have proliferated with the advent of the internet, and even though they probably are bad grammar, I like them and use them all the time.

The little wiggly symbol is a tilde and its usual usage is as a substitute for the word "approximately".

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 6:02 pm 

Thank you very much Mark Brown.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 1:22 pm 

I am not a native english speaker, and I am actually rather offended by this thread. It seems that people with dyslexia are disqualified from posting here, maybe it should be fieldherpforumforthewelleducatedelite.com :)

If I ever handed in a paper with ´ like in can't, I would be slaughtered - it is can not

it is (...) or (.) and not (..) or (....). (...) called an ellipsis and it marks a intentional omission of a word or sentence in a quote. Can also mark an unfinished sentence.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 1:29 pm 

Well, I guess everybody's different, but when I make an error I appreciate it when someone points it out.....otherwise, I keep on making it.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 6:26 pm 

Kurakura . .
My Dad taught us that if a person speaks , or writes in broken or "imperfect english" . .

It means they know at least one more language than we do . . and to respect that accordingly. :)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 2:50 pm 
kurakura wrote:
I am not a native english speaker, and I am actually rather offended by this thread. It seems that people with dyslexia are disqualified from posting here, maybe it should be fieldherpforumforthewelleducatedelite.com :)
Kurakura? In any country or language: Internets = Serious Business

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 9:28 am 

kurakura wrote:

If I ever handed in a paper with ´ like in can't, I would be slaughtered - it is can not

it is (...) or (.) and not (..) or (....). (...) called an ellipsis and it marks a intentional omission of a word or sentence in a quote. Can also mark an unfinished sentence.

More precisely, an ellipsis is used to denote missing sections of direct quotes, that lack relevancy, or are superfluous. Technically, they should not be used as dashes, but commonly are... even by me. :crazyeyes:
But remember... language changes over time--- slang and 'common usage' eventually become accepted usage, and the rules are revised. Spelling is the one that gets me... people SEE (by the red underline) that a word is misspelled... yet don't bother to correct it. These are the type of people who only polish the front of their shoes... cause by the time they leave, folks won't think well of them anyway, so why bother polishing the back of their shoes... :roll: :lol: :lol: jim

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm 

:oops: that is me. But I dont have spell check . I did on the used dell that was my first computer 3 years ago but everything about everything was so medusa-like I had Renee get rid of it.

I have this laptop now and Im standing on my hind legs on it (most of the time) by now so Im going to put it on I guess.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 5:52 pm 

Kelly Mc wrote:
:oops: that is me. But I dont have spell check .

Use Firefox as your browser. It has built in spell check. Very handy indeed. In fact, it just saved me from typing, "Very handly".

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 5:58 pm 

Hey thanks!! It didnt go as easy as I thought it would - I couldnt find "The program"

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 6:07 pm 

Wish I could help. My solution to practically any computer related problem is my wonderful wife, Janet. She's the one that loaded Firefox for me.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm 

We are in the same wooden boat - I cant post pics without Renee helping me. And almost every other thing. I just dont get this stuff. I can be shown but it wont stick.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2012, 7:12 pm 

Google chrome has spell check too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: July 1st, 2012, 8:14 pm 

Yeah, I love when some foreigner gets on here and rants about how offensive my little thread is, and then never even comes back to acknowledge anything that was said to them...shove that in your ~ 8-) I'm actually offended by non-native english speakers. Just go speak in your own language, like the Hispanics do at Wal-Mart. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: the above thoughts were not directed at anyone real, living or dead, and are just mind constructs from a warped 6th dimensional radar wave.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 6:14 am 

Quote:
I am not a native english speaker, and I am actually rather offended by this thread.

Who cares?
If you go looking for things to be offended about, you will certainly find them. Perhaps a better use of your time would be to find a way to be helpful to someone. Helping others has the positive side effect of helping one get over one's self.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 11:13 am 

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:
Quote:
I am not a native english speaker, and I am actually rather offended by this thread.

Who cares?
If you go looking for things to be offended about, you will certainly find them. Perhaps a better use of your time would be to find a way to be helpful to someone. Helping others has the positive side effect of helping one get over one's self.

Not to mention that this wasn't directed at non-native English speakers. It was directed at people who SHOULD know better.

Josh

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 12:58 pm 

AAhh well,

Who should know better? If you read further in my post you see I mention dyslexia too. Usually you are able to understand the posters with or without good grammar, people have different levels of education and so on. Grammar mistakes do make me mad when they are scattered allover a newspaper though, but here I do not find it that important. last, but not least, I certainly try to make myself helpfull to others.

I am off to Borneo for a few weeks, peace!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 3:08 pm 

Borneo sounds like a wonderful adventure. Best wishes for a splendid time!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 9:07 pm 

This thread was started as a fun rant, in memory of Jerry Feldner, who always corrected everyone's grammar. It is not to be taken as a commandment from God... :lol:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 10:58 pm 

Lots of us care about what you think because of your works and because you have charisma.

I never cared about my grammar or thought it was important on a forum until I read this thread. It was then I realized I had been unproductively rebellious.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 5:20 am 

Location: A Sovereign TX Enclave in the Greater Kansas City Area
kurakura wrote:
Grammar mistakes do make me mad when they are scattered allover a newspaper though, but here I do not find it that important.

Not important here... :?

At what level of discussion do you consider your fellow human being worthy of your best effort?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 3:04 pm 

Reminds me of the joke:

Once there was a Texan who was visiting Harvard and was lost. He stopped the first person he came to in the hall and said, "Can y'all tell me where the library's at?"

To which the affronted Harvard grad replied, "Sir, this is Harvard. At Harvard we never end our sentences with prepositions. Kindly rephrase your question."

To that, the Texan then replied, "OK, can y'all tell me where the library's at, a$$hole?"