Half way there with Spotted salamanders!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joey Kennedy

Half way there with Spotted salamanders!!

Post by Joey Kennedy »

I went out at 4:00am and found a lot of spotted salamander larvae!

Still no adults.. :(

Woot woot!

Found in this pool at about 4:30 this morning

Thank you for everyone to help me get this far, but I still neeed more help finding the adults. Any more suggestions?
Carl Brune

Re: Half way there with Spotted salamanders!!

Post by Carl Brune »

That's probably a Marbled Salamander larva (not a bad thing at all). Looks like you're in the right place. What are you trying to show in the 2nd photo? Did you see any egg masses?
justinm

Post by justinm »

I agree it looks like a Marbled Sallie, but I often find Marbled and Spotted salamanders in the same areas.
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Yes, that mander was born in the fall and likely a marbled. You would be seeing egg masses or very small larvae if you were seeing maculatum. I just found a bunch of Ringed Salamander larvae a few days ago, which like marbleds are fall breeders, and that were about the same size. Likely a good pool though!

4 AM, that's dedication. That kind of desire deserves help, unlike the lazy requests that sometimes come to the forum.
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

yes, dedication, ive been searching 3 hours a day since middle of feb for a spotted salamander :( i wanna find just one!!!
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Hmm..it really doesn't look like a marbled larvae to me, they are usually a lot darker and have small white spots along the sides of the body. At that size it is a pretty old larvae though. Maybe a larvae from early breeders back in January or before?

The only advice I can give on adult spotteds is check logs at the edges of vernals. Lots of leaf litter around the logs helps too.
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

Yeah I know, i cant figure which one it is. It has been a sorta warm winter. Averaging temps at 48ish, didnt snow once lol. But it also was a very dry winter.

It has only lightly rained twice since feburary which is why I think maybe the spotteds havnt moved around alot or somthing? But I have been to many pools, no eggs or spotted adults... this all have found. I have flipped so many logs and been through so many leave piles. What do I do? I just wanna find ONE spotted salamander adult :(