ID confirmations for database

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mr.Talltree

ID confirmations for database

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Hey everybody,

I've got some images I'd like to get a consensus on before I update the database--a few of the pictures are a little funky.

This garter, I'm thinking Mountain, was encountered in Shasta Co. in the summer of 2008.

IMG_3040 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

This little guy was stumbled upon in Marin Co. in spring 2009. Looks like a Pacific Gopher to me.

IMG_4017 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr
IMG_4018 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr
IMG_4027 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

Found this little peewee in Shasta Co. spring 2009. I'm thinking Northwestern ringneck.

IMG_4140 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

Came across this nice Mountain Garter at the farm in Shasta Co. last summer.

IMG_6961 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_6965 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_6966 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

This little Mountain Garter showed up the next day near the creek at the farm--pardon my mother-in-law's heavy glovery, farm life seems to be taking a toll on her. :lol:

IMG_6980 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_6982 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

Later that same day, we were lucky to come across this Striped racer.

IMG_6984 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_6992 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_6996 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_7001 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

And last, but not least, last Thursday 3/22 in the beautiful city of San Francisco, I stumbled across this nice little Coast Garter on an impromptu hike.

IMG_2961 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

IMG_2962 by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

Coast Garter snake in S.F. by Mr.Talltree, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for any advice on the IDs for these guys!
Luke-
JAMAUGHN

Re: ID confirmations for database

Post by JAMAUGHN »

I think you've got them all correct. The first Garter is a bit hard to make out, but all the rest seem right.
Welcome to the forum!

JimM
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

JAMAUGHN wrote:I think you've got them all correct. The first Garter is a bit hard to make out, but all the rest seem right.
Welcome to the forum!

JimM
Part of me thinks that the first one could be Oregon Garter just because of the greenish color and back stripe, but it's really hard to tell from the crappy picture. Also, it was seen in an area that is on the very eastern edge of their known habitat.

Luke-
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

First one looks to me like Oregon or Sierra. Dorsal stripe does not look distinct enough to be Mountain or Valley.
It is hard to tell though.

Without better pics, the only way to tell (between Oregon and Sierra) is locality:

http://www.shastaherps.org/map/AquaticGarter.svg
(above map won't work in IE < 9 but works in almost every other browser - Oregon is subspecies of Aquatic)

Herp in Shasta County often?
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

FunkyRes wrote:First one looks to me like Oregon or Sierra. Dorsal stripe does not look distinct enough to be Mountain or Valley.
It is hard to tell though.

Without better pics, the only way to tell (between Oregon and Sierra) is locality:

http://www.shastaherps.org/map/AquaticGarter.svg
(above map won't work in IE < 9 but works in almost every other browser - Oregon is subspecies of Aquatic)

Herp in Shasta County often?
Based on the map, I'm calling it an Oregon Garter.

My wife's family has a farm and some land in Shasta Co., so we try to get up there a several times a year to chill out and get a good dose of nature. Whenever I'm up there, I can't help but do a little herping, mostly on their property, but I've ventured out to some other locales. The way I look at it is, whenever I'm hiking--I'm herping, and I try to do a lot of hiking when I'm up there during the spring, summer, and fall.

I want to make my way up there pretty soon, as things are starting to warm up. When I plan my next trip, I'll post to see if anyone in the area wants to do a little snake snooping.

Luke-