Herping has been slow.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chad M. Lane

Herping has been slow.

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Well I've been extremely busy the last few months with work, expanding my Hognose breeding, and working on my dogs.

I haven't had time nor money to get out much, plus this funky weather has put a bit of a damper on herping up in Northern California. Luckily I have a few trips in the near future planned out.

Back in January I joined Natalie out in her neck of the woods to find a lifer that has escaped me a handful of times, California Giant Salamander.
So I took out a young prospecting herper to go find some!

California Giant Salamander (Dicaptodon ensatus)

Danielle and I went and scoped out some spots in the inner Central Coast. Only thing we seen was this buck. Sorry taken with a 90mm macro on full frame from 200 yards...

Natalie hit me up as she was itching to get out as was I. So I contacted Mike Westphal to go find some Northern California Yucca Night Lizards (Xantusia vigilis) among other species.
We did have luck in finding Nights, but not much else due to the cooler windy weather we had.

Mike and Natalie photographing our find.

Coyote that we seen on the way out.

A parting moon shot when I got home.

Cheers,
Chad
Fieldnotes

Re: Herpings been slow.

Post by Fieldnotes »

Pretty cool. I like the shot scenery shot with the the photogs, that terrain looks rough
Zach_Lim

Re: Herping has been slow.

Post by Zach_Lim »

Nice Dicamp and Xantusia, dude! Great shot' of that lizard.
you need some snakes in this thread...btw, "nada zonata"
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Nice pics! How far north do the night lizards go?
Owen

Post by Owen »

They are a little more work to find this year, that's for sure. I miss the Xantusia. I need to get my butt down to San BenitoCo. and gets me some.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Me, too. Another creature I've yet to see. Very nice post, Chad. The shots of the Night Lizards are very good, as are those of the salamander. I really like that moon shot, as well.

JimM
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Good stuff, Chad. Your Xantusia pics are excellent. Really like the Moon shot. And, that Coyote is a real looker. Congrats on finding your Dicamp. too.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Great photog, Chad! :thumb: Was that your lifer Yucca? If so, congrats! The shot of the buck looks great!
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Thanks everyone! The Xantusia is from Fresno Co. At one of the furthest north populations, they only go a few miles more north.

Porter Yes this was my lifer, and the California Giant is a technical lifer as well. I just picked up a couple more lifers down south that I'll be posted later.

Cheers,
Chad
Porter

Post by Porter »

Chad M. Lane wrote: Porter Yes this was my lifer, and the California Giant is a technical lifer as well. I just picked up a couple more lifers down south that I'll be posted later.
Cool man, can't wait. Hopefully you got some of the things we could't find! I still need to photograph my first Dicamp... Mike told me where to go, still havent tried tho. I was gonna hook up with Dev when I went... this year has brought a lot of change into my life... haven't had much time nor $ for critter searchin. Peace to you, no hard feelins man.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Very nice shots, Chad. Looks like you were using multiple flashes on that lizard. :thumb:
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Ross yes I did. As were the salamander photos.

Cheers,
Chad
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

Now THAT is why I like this forum. Bringing to life those range maps I've been looking at for years. Great to see Xantusia from the northern end of their range and stellar to see the habitat. Great photos. Thanks.

Dave
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

[quote="yolodave"]Now THAT is why I like this forum. Bringing to life those range maps I've been looking at for years.

Me too, Dave :beer:
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Right on, dude, that moon shot is my desktop wallpaper for the week........
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Thanks everyone I really enjoy finding even the most common species in near areas, maybe even difficult areas as much if not more than finding hard to find species. I'm also not like the Kingsnake, and Rosy Boa nuts (no pun intended) I like to find all species of Native herps, and work on my photography.

My goal before I die is to find and photograph every species in California it'll take me decades and a lot of hard work, but I would love to do that.

Cheers,
Chad
Crote Junky

Post by Crote Junky »

Ya it's been pretty slow for me too!
Owen

Post by Owen »

Chad M. Lane wrote: I like to find all species of Native herps, and work on my photography.

Cheers,
Chad
I agree, though I need to get myself out of 'voucher mode' and take actual composed images again :D
Chad M. Lane wrote:

My goal before I die is to find and photograph every species in California it'll take me decades and a lot of hard work, but I would love to do that.

Cheers,
Chad
Pretty ambitious. That Rosy Rat will be tough, but then again, it's April Fool's Day, where anything can happen :lol: I would just like to find eveything in my county.