March 25th/26th outing

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Phil Peak

March 25th/26th outing

Post by Phil Peak »

Our good fortune continued this weekend despite a cooler than forecast day on Sunday with little sun. Things improved Monday when the sun finally broke out and we were able to locate 53 snakes representing a variety of species. This Plain Bellied Water Snake was found at our first stop in the Jackson Purchase.

The next stop brought us a Racer and this Rat Snake.

At one stop at a deserted home site we discovered four garters, one king and one rat.

Intergrade black x speckled Kingsnake.

Another from down the road.

We left the Jackson Purchase and spent Monday in the Western Coal Field. We found this habitat to be very productive.

Another look at one of the places we spent several hours finding snakes.

Copper Bellied Water Snake

Diamondback Water Snake

WCF Garter

WCF Eastern Ribbon Snake

Black Kingsnake from this habitat.

A fugly Midland Water Snake

On the way back in yesterday evening we found this Jefferson County Prairie Kingsnake a short distance from home. This is near the etreme eastern edge of this species range in our state.

Again, it was great being in the outdoors finding snakes. Already looking forward to next time!

Phil
Matt Arnold

Re: March 25th/26th outing

Post by Matt Arnold »

Awesome post (once again) Phil. Seems like the Copperheads have already emerged this year in your area. Any luck on Timbers yet?

Also, are you flipping your snakes under AC or just finding them amongst natural cover?
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Looks like a good trip Phil. That rat snake has a neat look and the N. rombifer looks like a beast! I'm impressed by your photos, especially your ability to find a nice patch of rocky substrate for all the backgrounds.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Always enjoy seeing your photos! Still haven't had time to make any real searches here yet but it is short coming! I did manage to find what I thought was a trailer burnout that someone still lived in (always knock, even when its the door to a burnout) lol.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

...and he's off and running.

As always, great looking critters, Phil!
(More hab shots please.) :mrgreen:

Tim
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Matt,

No timbers yet, but the copperheads are definitely out and surface active. We have been finding lots of snakes both under AC and in natural situations. We have now found over 100 snakes between this weekend and the weekend prior, and I would venture to say it was about 50-50.

Jason,

If I only had a dollar for every mile of gravel road in KY I'd be a wealthy man! Gravel seems to make for a decent stage for photography when other more natural settings are problematic. We use it often just out of convenience. The big brownish d'back was probably my favorite snake of the trip. It was truly a Grade A specimen.

Jayd,

Wise words my friend! I felt really bad one day when I proceeded to rip apart an old house to get to the tin on the roof so I could lay it out. After a brief flurry of destruction I was met by an elderly woman that asked me why I was tearing down her home! I apologized profusely and put everything back to its original condition. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Tim,

I was actually wanting to take more hab photo's but we were shut down by gray skies on our first day out. Conditions improved on day two and I managed to fire off a couple before we headed out. More on the way, I promise!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

Phil
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful post, and prettiest diamondback water snake I've ever seen.
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

Great post as always!
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

good stuff Phil, my only copperbelly was a dor.
David and Suzanne

Post by David and Suzanne »

Cool stuff, Phil. Love the old lady story too :lol:

David and Suzanne
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Tamara,

They are probably my favorite water snake so it was really nice to photograph such a beautiful specimen.

Adam,

Much appreciated!

Barry,

Sorry to hear that bud. I'm quite sure you will be finding many live specimens soon. They are definitely a neat snake and one thats worth searching for.

David and Suzanne,

I felt so bad about that. It really put things into perspective for me and brought home the reality that there are many folks out there living in horrid conditions.

Thanks friends,

Phil