A couple things from the past week.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JxT

A couple things from the past week.

Post by JxT »

Found a couple things this past week. Just lagged at posting up the pix. Found my first herp of the year. Just left work after working a 16 hour day, completely exhausted. Just driving along, cold windy night, temperature gauge reading 59. Out of the corner of my eye I spot this.

Scutulatus

A couple days later I decided to take a nice morning hike. Not a lot was moving about. A few lizards here and there, nothing I could get close enough to catch or even identify. Just a couple interesting things. Found this guy tucked under some bark on a fallen tree.

After a little more flipping here and there, coming up empty. I decided to head to the lower path. On the way I discovered this. I figure it's a cow or horse.

Finally got down to the lower trail and everything seemed dead. The weather was getting worse. Clouds starting to roll in, temperature dropping. So I decided to head home. Did one more flip on the way back and found this lifer. :shock:

Ensatina eschscholtzii croceater

Needless to say I was stoked about that find. My first salamander ever. Then three days later went on another hike with the lady and the pups. And then with a little luck we flipped two more Ensatina eschscholtzii croceater.

Here's the first one...

Then the second...

So all in all it was a great week. Even though I'm still waiting for this weather to warm up, I'm still happy with the outcome. First herp, a lifer, and then more of that lifer. Sorry about the pix, phones don't always do the best!
Calfirecap

Re: A couple things from the past week.

Post by Calfirecap »

That's a great find especially for your first Salamander. Congrats!
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

sweet salamander! the only ones I have come across are tigers, and they all still had gills
-Ian
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Dogs and snow in the background?

Nice finds....
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

LouB747 wrote:Dogs and snow in the background?

Nice finds....
Nice finds by you, too. We should all examine pix that carefully.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

That salamander is a beauty!

reako45