Puerto Rico 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

intermedius

Puerto Rico 2012

Post by intermedius »

For my spring break, my family and I went to Puerto Rico in El Conquistador as well as San Juan. Overall it was a great trip, and thanks for the advice in the previous topics. After a nice plane ride surviving on Ramen Noodles, we made it to San Juan and then Fajardo. Once there, I found out about how loud Coqui's are and found this little guy near my room.

Unfortunately most of the food there was Gringo food, but I managed to enjoy a wonderful rice and bean dinner and plantain/cassava chips. 8-) .

The next day I went to El Yunque, and immediately spotted a Alsophis (= Borikenophis) portoricensis. Image

We also found too many anoles to count. Here are some of the best specimens found.

The only Ameiva photographed.

El Coqui

Better photos coming soon. In the meantime enjoy.
Mike VanValen

Re: Puerto Rico 2012

Post by Mike VanValen »

What did I tell you about the racers being rear-fanged???

Just kidding. :thumb:

I'm glad you got to see some cool herps.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good trip.
Some frogs can be good at "throwing" their voices, but "El Coqui" is the master.

Did you get to Phosphorescent Bay (Bahia Fosforescente)?
ksuglennj

Post by ksuglennj »

I'm so jealous of the racer. Man that is a great find. Beautiful place isn't it?

Glenn
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

We did go to bio bay, but I didn't get photos of it. I probably heard 10,000 coqui's in one trip. I was surprised on the density of them too, and though I was only going to see one. However, I learned how to catch them and found up to seven in one Bromeliad. I was one happy herper :beer: . I was a bit shy with the snakes since many there are protected, and I did not want to get fined. I was also shy because the racers are venomous, and could cause swelling/pain or nothing at all.

I will post photos tomorrow when I get my other camera. I vouchered better Coqui's and two more racers/ a groundsnake on my second El Yunque trip.

Justin
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Apparently they are here, except they weren't cooperating. Even when it was Breeding Season. :roll:

incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Looks like fun! I did a scuba trip there in 2007 and saw some sea turtles, on land several green iguanas, some roadkill iguanas, many anoles and ameivas but failed on the Coqui since every time I thought I was close to one, it sounded like it was over here, over there, it drove me crazy. Nice job look forward to more pics!

This trip was before I was really into photography, but here are two pics of herps from my trip.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Justin,

Cool stuff! My wife and I stayed at "El Con" during our trip there in 2010. It was a blast, with lots of herp species on-site. I even found multiple Leptodactylus albilabris on the hotel ground. Both Anolis pictured are A. cristatelus. I'm WAY jealous of the Borikenophis. Awesome find. Your Ameiva is A. exsul, in case you're interested. Did you see any Sphaerodactylus?

-Cole