Long time listener, first time caller

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rob Wiens

Long time listener, first time caller

Post by Rob Wiens »

Yes, I know there has been an onslaught of new members to the forums but I have decided to finally throw my hat into the ring. I have been "lurking" since last year but have been contributing to the database. I decided that I needed to stop being intimidated by the knowledgeable people on here and start posting, so a little about me:

I'm a 33 year old father of two girls (one 4 years old and one 3 weeks old), live in Chowchilla Ca, work beyond fulltime in Los Banos Ca and roam the valley and hills of Merced, Madera, Mariposa (so many "M" counties) and Fresno Counties. I grew up finding reptiles on my grandparent’s ranch near Reedley and have recently rediscovered my passion for all things reptile or amphibian. As a young child and teenager I was so passionate about herpetology my father got a me a spot as a summer "intern" for the Fresno, ahem, Chaffee Zoo Reptile house. Unfortunately girls and partying put herping on the back burner for about a decade and half :)

After discovering this forum I bought a couple of "herping" books, two having been written by board member Mr. Hubbs (the other one also by board members Mr. Bird and Mr. Peaks, but they be from Kentucky). I mention Hubbs book because within the last few days I found several kingsnakes that I probably wouldn't have located without the books help. I have found more rattlers, gophers, and garters then I can count but before a few days ago I had only found one kingsnake. I "flipped" these kings the last few days:

My camera kind of sucks (point and shoot) but I hope to improve that as I grow as an amateur herpetologist. I may not post a bunch but will be more than willing to go on herping trips and meet up with anyone in my area. I have begun my own "areas" and am willing to share with anyone interested. Thanks for having me and I hope to contribute something useful, interesting and educational in the future.
El Garia

Re: Long time listener, first time caller

Post by El Garia »

Howdy Rob,

Sounds like we had the same priorities. I took the same amount of time off from herping for the exact same reasons: :beer: :lol: Good job on those Kingsnakes, Rob. Thanks for sharing :thumb:
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Welcome to the forum, and very nice Kings!

JimM
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Nice kings. :thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Welcome! good to have someone working your area. :thumb: jim
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Right on Kingsnake 101
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Any better pics of the last one? Looking forward to more of your posts...
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Looks to be abberant of some sort. Partially barred....
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Lou, its one of those Central Valley black belly aberrants. Its what Hubbs calls a Delta morph in his book.
Rob Wiens

Post by Rob Wiens »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Lou, I have one additional photo of that last King:

I was herping by myself that day and still haven't mastered the technique of photographing, holding up a board and manipulating snakes into position. Most of my shots are voucher quality right now, at least until I buy a better camera. Ross is correct, I used Hubbs book to ID it as a Delta morph (pages 82 & 83 have several photos of similarly patterned Kings). I wish I had taken more photos and of a better quality for you guys... Kinda learning as I go along :D
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Missed the central valley locale. Understand it's a delta morph. Thanks, Lou
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

OK, now I've seen it. Awesome black belly. And found at one of my spots too...this really chaps my hide. I still haven't seen a Delta at that spot...Newbies...OY! :lol:
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Nice job with the kings, i would call the first one aberrant too. I wish morphs like the dark one, were found more often, in my respective territory (sw LA co.) ... but they seem to be somewhat rare. I've been wanting to find a king like that in LA county for years now.. they exist down here, but we call it a mud-morph, they look just the same as yours!

Nice first post and welcome to FHF.. and stay away from hubbs spots and Dave Tobler's spots!.. you've got to go set up your own stuff now.. lol!

-Dan
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

The first one is probably a black-belly too...
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yeah, the little black spots in the light areas and dark head are indicators. I didn't even notice that. :x
Rob Wiens

Post by Rob Wiens »

Brian, the two in question were both black bellies I just had a hell of a time trying to hold them and taking photos. I never learned the trick of belly rubbing and posing HA! Newbies can find the snakes but we can't photograph them :(

Speckled, I now know better then to mess with Dave, Hubbs or Brian (Fundad) spots... From now on if I think I have found one of their spots I immediately run away and try to find a way to make amends.

And over Easter my Dad gave me his old Canon EOS 300D, so hopefully (with some practice) my camera skills should be improving. Its only been 13 years since my community college course on photography, how hard could it be?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

just wait til' you find the boards with claymore's under them... :x
Rob Wiens

Post by Rob Wiens »

Ha! My wife swears I found the boards with all the ticks under them.... because they came home with me.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Speckled, I now know better then to mess with Dave, Hubbs or Brian (Fundad) spots... From now on if I think I have found one of their spots I immediately run away and try to find a way to make amends.

Hey Rob, I am headed up your way, shot me a pm with your phone number if your interested in doing some herping. I Heard good things about you.

Fundad