Moderator: Scott Waters

DracoRJC

Deleted?

Post by DracoRJC »

*Deleted by myself*
ThatFrogGuy

Re: Deleted?

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Don't quote me on this, but I'd imagine it had something to do with you handling it in a park. Personally that wouldn't justify deleting to me, but I'm no moderator.....

-Zach
justinm

Post by justinm »

It would be wiser to email Scott, than to try drawing attention to it on the forum. Scott has always been a very fair, and available host and admin. Try not to lose that respectful relationship with him.
DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

Done, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I suppose that is a justifiable reason for a moderator to step in, but I'd like to know for sure.

Ryan
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

DracoRJC wrote:Done, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I suppose that is a justifiable reason for a moderator to step in, but I'd like to know for sure.

Ryan
I'm guessing on the circumstance, but Law Enforcement does frequent these boards, so matter how ridiculous it may or may not be that you can fish or hunt in many natural areas but not momentarily hold a snake, it's still probably best that any law breaking not be posted on this forum. Most herpers know that most other field herpers are law abiding and conservation-minded; but a lot of times the outside world doesn't see it that way.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Could have also had something to do with you dropping both the S-word and the F-bomb on what is intended to be kept as a PG-13 forum.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

umop apisdn wrote:Could have also had something to do with you dropping both the S-word and the F-bomb on what is intended to be kept as a PG-13 forum.

Is that a rule here? generally curious because everyone seems to be polite but I see plenty of cursing every once in awhile
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

bwaterherper wrote: Is that a rule here? generally curious because everyone seems to be polite but I see plenty of cursing every once in awhile
Idk ive never seen people swear before O_____o I think everyone is generally nice to eachother on this forum :mrgreen:
noah k.

Post by noah k. »

Idk if I found a rainbow snake I would say that stuff and im only 14.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Not saying that it isn't something I said when I found a rainbow, but I think there is a reason you very rarely see anyone drop those words.

I don't see it as a rule in the TOS, but I assume it's an unspoken rule. Otherwise, with the general location mentioned along with the fact it occurred on a NWR probably all contributed to the deletion. But that's all speculation from me.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

The forum is used by young people, and we always make an effort to remember that if possible. I personally love the idea of a ten year old looking bright eyed at all of our posts and dreaming of the day they get a car. :)

Posting yourself doing something illegal as well as posting localities at all is listed in the forum rules. If you broke one of those rules, your post might get deleted to protect the forum, to protect you, and to protect the herps.

Congrats on an awesome find!

Dan
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

umop apisdn wrote:I don't see it as a rule in the TOS, but I assume it's an unspoken rule.
The forum used to have a profanity filter that replaced foul language with herp terms. The substitutions were often incongruous and made for some funny snake. I vote for bringing back that system. If you disagree, go frog yourself.
RobK

Post by RobK »

Daryl Eby wrote:
umop apisdn wrote:I don't see it as a rule in the TOS, but I assume it's an unspoken rule.
The forum used to have a profanity filter that replaced foul language with herp terms. The substitutions were often incongruous and made for some funny snake. I vote for bringing back that system. If you disagree, go frog yourself.
Yeah, and while we're at it, maybe we could add the bullsnake filter, too?
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

RobK wrote:Yeah, and while we're at it, maybe we could add the bullsnake filter, too?
That would block all my flipping posts.
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Yeah, trust me on this...I was THE #1 skeptic on Law Enforcement/Govt entities monitoring these boards...but boy let me tell ya...just posting something like that can start a shite storm you cant imagine. I learned the hard way... Not just piling on or breaking anyones balls here...just saying we should all be aware that posting a locale or an 'illegal' act (like restraining a protected animal to photograph) can get you in trouble. I didnt believe it until I got a call over something i posted from a person that works with US Fish & Wildlife. They dont have much of a sense of humor, let me tell ya!

ON another note...still one of the coolest animals that rarely gets posted here, thanks for sharing!
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I wanna see a pic of the actual rock it was flipped under and the surrounding habitat so I can dream the good dreams! :lol:

Did you not take any photos of the critter lying on the ground...even a crappy, blurry, rushed image? It seems (almost) inconceivable an animal that significant was shot soley in hand.

Put'em up in a different thread, Ok?

Big, big kudus on a great find!

Tim
knox

Post by knox »

I love the lack of profanity. When I read a post with F bombs and the term for Feces, it takes the intelligence quotient down a few notches for me. I would much rather read a "clean" account of something.

I don't like being around people in real life who use that language all the time, either.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Mulebrother wrote:Yeah, trust me on this...I was THE #1 skeptic on Law Enforcement/Govt entities monitoring these boards...but boy let me tell ya...just posting something like that can start a shite storm you cant imagine. I learned the hard way... Not just piling on or breaking anyones balls here...just saying we should all be aware that posting a locale or an 'illegal' act (like restraining a protected animal to photograph) can get you in trouble. I didnt believe it until I got a call over something i posted from a person that works with US Fish & Wildlife. They dont have much of a sense of humor, let me tell ya!

ON another note...still one of the coolest animals that rarely gets posted here, thanks for sharing!

This is true I've had two of those phone calls. Now I just post Brown snakes...

Let me say both times, I was in a different state than the officer that called me. LE can get very protective of their animals, and luckily both times I could prove that I wasn't violating any laws with the animals I posted, since I wasn't in a state that had laws against what I was doing.
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

Daryl Eby wrote:The forum used to have a profanity filter that replaced foul language with herp terms. The substitutions were often incongruous and made for some funny snake. I vote for bringing back that system. If you disagree, go frog yourself.
Hahah.... thats kinda funny :mrgreen: Id be very happy if they brought that back!
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

I don't blame you. If I found a rainbow snake I'd probably drop the f-bomb like a two pound deuce with a bad habit.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

justinm wrote: This is true I've had two of those phone calls. Now I just post Brown snakes...

Let me say both times, I was in a different state than the officer that called me. LE can get very protective of their animals, and luckily both times I could prove that I wasn't violating any laws with the animals I posted, since I wasn't in a state that had laws against what I was doing.
I was told by someone on the inside that LE spends considerable time lurking here. Tax dollars well spent, huh? I'm a bit bitter after getting harassed several times for photographing herps but ATV riders are still allowed to rip up habitat and drive on paths where endangered species frequent. But hey, we're all criminals, right!

If you've posted an endangered species your name is probably on a list somewhere.
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

Mike VanValen wrote: I was told by someone on the inside that LE spends considerable time lurking here. Tax dollars well spent, huh? I'm a bit bitter after getting harassed several times for photographing herps but ATV riders are still allowed to rip up habitat and drive on paths where endangered species frequent. But hey, we're all criminals, right!

If you've posted an endangered species your name is probably on a list somewhere.
Yeah its all very interesting. I agree with you on the ATVs, I think tht is very unfair, people destroy habitat and dont get in trouble, but then herpers like us get punished for taking interests in the species?????? :evil: I personally dont photograph endangered species but I feel for the people who do get those calls.. :x