question for the spider people.

Field and captive invertebrates discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

muskiemagnet

question for the spider people.

Post by muskiemagnet »

i've noticed in the last year that we have decent populations of black widows in certain areas of wisconsin. these are unlike what i have seen in oklahoma. the ones here have a doted red line down the dorsal with the typical hourglass underneath. what is this exactly? different subspecies, or regional variant? where does this one rank as far as venom potency goes.

thanks

-ben
Daniel D Dye

Re: question for the spider people.

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Ben,

How about some photos.

Daniel
what

Post by what »

Sounds like those are Latrodectus variolus, in OK you might start to get both L. mactans and L. variolus.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

no photos, sorry.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Ben, I've seen many in Door county, WI. Most frequently they turn up around rockpiles in open, grassy areas and in/under dead Juniper and Jack pine trunks.
(If I were you, I'd stay well away from these types of dangerous areas unless I'm with you.) :mrgreen:

They look like straight forward L. mactans to me. I've got a photo of the first one I ever encountered somewhere. If I run across it, I'll put it up for ID confirmation.
Tim
what

Post by what »

Tim Borski wrote:Ben, I've seen many in Door county, WI. Most frequently they turn up around rockpiles in open, grassy areas and in/under dead Juniper and Jack pine trunks. (If I were you, I'd stay well away from these types of dangerous areas unless I'm with you.) :mrgreen:

They look like straight forward L. mactans to me. I've got a photo of the first one I ever encountered somewhere. If I run across it, I'll put it up for ID confirmation.
Tim
You would not be finding L. mactans in Wisconsin... they would be Latrodectus variolus, the Northern widow. ;)
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

You would not be finding L. mactans in Wisconsin... they would be Latrodectus variolus, the Northern widow.
Thankyou.

Tim