your "I wish" finds by State

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

Re: your "I wish" finds by State

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Tim Borski wrote:
Josh Holbrook wrote:My only two left for southern Florida: Lampropeltis calligaster occipitolineata and Tantilla oolitica. I have 2-4 years to find these two, then it's northward-ho.
I've got one word for you: Diadophis punctatus acricus. :lol:

Tim
Ehhh...subspecies. Besides - I know a guy in the Keys that can turn em' up for me.
dickbartlett

Post by dickbartlett »

Andy Gluesenkamp--P/m reced. Many thanx. I will contact both you and him the next time I'm in the AUS region. Best/Dick
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Edit: More species to add

U.S

Texas- Atriceps (have they been rediscovered in texas since 1921?)
Virginia- Pinesnake (DOR's, DOR's, DOR's)
Maryland- Erythrogamma, Mole King, and Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix/mokasen
Florida- Oolicta, EDB,
Puerto Rico- Karlschmidtii (did i get name correct?)

Mexico

Chihuahua-Tropidodipsas repleta
Sinaloa- Crotalus stejnegeri
Oaxaca- Crotalus molossus
Yucatan- A tzabcan
Distrito Federal- Transversus
Michoachan- Molossus, intermedius, pusillus, and tancitarensis. (sneak out from the monarch butterfly hibernaculum and go flip rocks)
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Two way tie in SE Louisiana for me:

(1a) Farancia erytrogramma
(1b) Pituophis melanoleucus lodingi

Reason: If I'm gonna dream, I may as well dream big.

Realistically, I just wish I could find a Louisiana Milk.

Chris
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

chance37

Post by chance37 »

Simus in Leon county florida...Havent been documented since 90.....tons of field studies and all top biologists think theyre gone.....gotta be a few small colonies still hanging on near some ephermal pond on some private property....or hidden sandhill..Cant wait till sep-oct...
..Id also love to photo a Carolina Red..
joecop

Post by joecop »

Florida: EDB
AZ: Coral
Ridge nose ratttlesnake

MD: Coastal Plains milk
Mole King, oh wait, I can mark those off!!! (actually not my find in the pic but one a friend found when I took him to one of my spots, I found one a couple days later)
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

Copperhead-Illinois
mojave rattler-Utah
ridge-nosed rattler-New Mexico
cottonmouth-Illinois
San-Francisco garter snake-California
Arizona Mountain Kingsnake-Arizona
-Ian
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I'd eventually like to see all of the turtles and tortoises in the US. The two I see as being the most difficult are Kinosternon hirtipes and Glyptemys muhlenbergii. I don't know that the latter is that tough, it's just tough to legally/ethically look for it.

I still need to see the following as well.

Pseudemys alabamensis
Gopherus agassizii
Graptemys pseudogeographica
Kinosternon arizonense
Lepidochelys kempii
Lepidochelys olivacea
Sternotherus depressus

Curtis
dickbartlett

Post by dickbartlett »

Indigoblue wrote:
Photographing every herp in the USA does not equate to finding every herp in the USA. The thread starter clearly stated "finds by State". I can pay as many people to go out and find what I want to photograph but it would not mean I found them.

This is true. But, thanx to many folks, dealers included (and esp Rom MacInnes and Bill Love) I long ago finished photographing all USA taxa, incl ssps and genetic spinoffs.

After hundreds of thousands of miles (maybe millions) of hering trips, thanx to the assistance of EJ Pirog, Gary Nafis, Tom Boyden, Gordy Johnston, Frank Weed, Atila Beke, Will Flaxington, Tim Burkhart, Regis Opferman, Billy Griswold, Carl May, Mike Pingleton, Jake Scott, Don Becker, John Truitt, Gus Rentfro, Randy Babb, Paul Moler, Norm Damm, Mike Price, Art Meyer, (many others) and especially KW, what I listed is what I still need to see in the field. Sorry if that offends you.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

dickbartlett wrote:and especially KW
Speaking of KW, what ever happened to him? I used to enjoy his posts on FHF, though he tended toward "obstreperousness" from time to time. :lol:
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Photographing every herp in the USA does not equate to finding every herp in the USA. The thread starter clearly stated "finds by State". I can pay as many people to go out and find what I want to photograph but it would not mean I found them.
The above remark seems disrespectful. Dislike.
dickbartlett

Post by dickbartlett »

KW is alive, well, herping regularly, and chasing crayfish all over the USA now. He and I just got back from a TX-OK-KS trip. Had a good, but not overly "herpy" time. dick
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

dickbartlett wrote:KW is alive, well, herping regularly, and chasing crayfish all over the USA now. He and I just got back from a TX-OK-KS trip. Had a good, but not overly "herpy" time. dick
Thanks for the update, Dick. Crayfish, huh? I wonder if he's seen the monsters that inhabit Barton Creek here in Austin.....my stomach growls every time I think about those big ol' mudbugs.
dickbartlett

Post by dickbartlett »

He and I have been to Barton Springs on many occasions, Mark, and while I don't pay a whole lot of attn to those creepy little 10 leggers, KW has probably done so. He has only recently gotten me semi-interested in them and we will probably now have to redo some of our nation wide criss-crosses. dick
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Has anyone ever seen every snake and/or herp in the U.S (as in going out herping and finding it) ? Ever? That would be the most commemmerable.
gbin

Post by gbin »

dickbartlett wrote:KW is alive, well, herping regularly, and chasing crayfish all over the USA now. He and I just got back from a TX-OK-KS trip. Had a good, but not overly "herpy" time. dick
I've wondered often about KW, and I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. I'm still totally mystified and upset, though, that after herp hunting with him, visiting his home and having him visit mine, even having our two families go out to dinner together, he has chosen to rip me off in a big way. He wanted to photograph many of the snakes in my collection when I was still keeping and breeding Chihuahuan lyres and scarlet kings, and I agreed to let him do so on the condition that he would provide me with a set of the pictures for my own use. He readily agreed. We spent hours at it, getting him the shots he wanted, and he seemed very pleased when he left. He said he'd go through the pictures he shot and get a set to me soon after. Then sometime later he simply and without any explanation whatsoever stopped communicating with me, without ever providing me any pictures of my animals. I never took but a scant few photographs of any of them myself because for a long time I was counting on his, and now I no longer have the animals at all. I keep hoping that someday he'll still live up to his agreement and obligation and send me those photographs - and knowing how close you are to him, Dick, I've tried asking you a time or two to see if you can help make it happen - but the years keep going by... I really do wish him well, but I really don't understand it. My best guess is that he got ticked off about some argument we had here at FHF, or maybe thinks I wronged him in some other way, but I can't imagine what I did (or what he thinks I did, anyway) - nor how it relieves him of an obligation he willingly accepted toward me when I opened my home and made my animals available to him. :(

Gerry
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

North Dakota: Thamnophis elegans (for the state record)
North Dakota: Lampropeltis triangulum (for the state record)
Minnesota: Sternotherus odoratus
Minnesota: Sistrurus catenatus (preferably a population, not just an individual that floated over from WI).

-Chris
RobK

Post by RobK »

E. Hog AOR Colorado