20 Foot Black Snake in Columbia, SC? See for yourself

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KingCam

20 Foot Black Snake in Columbia, SC? See for yourself

Post by KingCam »

What do you guys make of this? I dunno what to think. Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.wistv.com/story/18590445/lar ... ighborhood

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -
After getting a call from his elderly neighbor about a snake in his yard, Heathwood resident Andrew Philson, who is used to seeing small garter and black snakes, took a look around when he got home and was more than a bit surprised to see a 15-20 foot long intruder slithering up one of his trees.

After the initial shock, Philson snapped several pictures of the massive snake behind his Devereaux St. home, which is near Kilbourne St and N. Beltline Blvd., and started calling around to see who could get rid of it.

So far, he's not had any luck, but, after looking at Philson's pictures, officials at the Department of Natural Resources and Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens believe it is a black rat snake.

Philson, however, believes it is some type of python. "I've seen a rat snake and they don't get that big," said Philson.

According to DNR, rat snakes are not poisonous and are considered to be beneficial to have around because they eat rats and rodents and keep other, more dangerous, snakes away. They are incredibly agile when it comes to climbing and can sometimes be found among the rafters of outbuildings, along rock walls, or in trees high above the ground.

Their climbing abilities allow them to ascend the trunks of mature trees, which they sometimes do in search of prey which includes birds and small mammals.

Some large black rat snakes can kill and eat a full grown squirrel.

The snake is still on the loose and Philson hopes that somebody will come and take it away. He's not ready to pay over $150 out of his pocket just to have a professional come out and look around, without a guarantee of the snake being captured.

DNR officers said they do not respond to remove rat snakes because of the benefit they offer to the environment.

"I think this is a public nuisance and I think people need to know in this area that there's a snake this big on the loose," said Philson. He does not want to see the snake be killed, he just doesn't want it around his home anymore.

Philson says his 3-year-old isn't allowed in the back yard until he is sure the snake is gone.

"He plays in the back yard a lot and they have children that come over, her grandchildren, and they play in the back yard a lot. And a snake that big could easily take out a child that size," Philson said.
Gabrial

Re: 20 Foot Black Snake in Columbia, MO? See for yourself

Post by Gabrial »

Isn't much you can make of it. Just another jackass looking for attention. It looks to be your average Black Rat, albeit, using the usual perspective trick to make it look bigger.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Looks like a childrens python to me, maybe even a white lip.
txherper

Post by txherper »

no. it's a rat snake.
KingCam

Re: 20 Foot Black Snake in Columbia, SC? See for yourself

Post by KingCam »

Rat snake or no, it would still be fun to find one climbing your tree :P I don't figure it'll pan out to be anything exciting, but I figured I'd post the story anyway :crazyeyes:
Talusman

Post by Talusman »

soulsurvivor wrote:Looks like a childrens python to me, maybe even a white lip.

It's definitely a rat snake. Have another beer or five.

:beer:
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Nope, it's a childrens. :D

I think I will have another beer though. :beer:
justinm

Post by justinm »

Psyon and I saw what we both believe to be the biggest black rat either of us have seen. We think it might have been 7'... Just saying that 20' is not likely.
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

justinm wrote:Psyon and I saw what we both believe to be the biggest black rat either of us have seen. We think it might have been 7'... Just saying that 20' is not likely.
Yeah, biggest one I've ever seen was just over 6'

A 7 footer would be incredible!! You don't happen to have a picture do you??
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »