It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: giant snake???
PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 7:13 am 

i was informed that a large(55 foot)snake was found and accidentally killed in a construction area in china. i told isaac it probably wasn't true, but i have check into it. anyone hear of this?

-ben

Post subject: Re: giant snake???
PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 8:30 am 

I just searched "giant snake in China" and got a bunch of hits talking about the 55 foot snake, everything said it was a hoax.

I'm pretty sure the Burmese Python is found in parts of southern China, which I think would be the largest snake found in that country.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 9:13 am 

i agree that it is a hoax. just wanted to see if anyone else heard about it.

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of undiscovered species, but large species? there are enough people on this planet. we have found all the big stuff. it makes me laugh when i see all the people who believe that the yeti exists in the US. really? :D :D :D

-ben

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 5:46 pm 

How long ago do you think Gorillas were found? New large animals are found, and have been in recent memory. Not that I believe in the Yeti or Bigfoot.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 4:16 am 

justinm wrote:
How long ago do you think Gorillas were found?

About 165 years ago. :lol:

Even if the example isn't the greatest, your point is spot on..

I haven't walked those jungles, so it's not even possible for me to figure out the odds of (and of not) finding a new giant snake species. I'm leaning towards skepticism, but that is just way too much wilderness for anyone to know for sure. Especially when one considers the fact that we aren't talking about a giant, noisy primate, but a quiet, cryptic animal, which would likely be less than a foot tall.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 4:40 am 

I thought it was more like 100... At any rate my point was that we're still finding things that are new to science.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 5:37 am 

Don't forget the oceans though, when you're talking about undiscovered large species that's the place to look :D

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 8:03 am 

Actually I have a good one for a large species just recently discovered living; Giant Squid and Colossal Squid (again this was more about finding there location and them being alive) But I think the snake was a hoax, even though it a python could end up growing that large with right conditions and some luck.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 2:33 pm 

justinm wrote:
How long ago do you think Gorillas were found? New large animals are found, and have been in recent memory. Not that I believe in the Yeti or Bigfoot.

many of those new species were 'found' by Western science recently. Very few of them were unknown to local indigenous people. Just a different perspective to think from.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 5:38 pm 

Good morning,

I did not hear about...a big snake...and indeed a 55 feet snake is a big one... recently caught in China.
I forgot which province but last year was found a quite big burmese girl...and a few days ago north of my city another burmese...
http://sh.sina.com.cn/citylink/jk/t_sjb ... 70080.html
But very far away from a monster... :D and what surprises me is the passivity of that "wild" snake...

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 7:45 pm 

http://www.yxlady.com/travels/2011-08-01/436293.shtml
http://www.51mingche.com/qichepinglun/5487.html

I just did my homework...

Effectively a big snake was found on may 14 th by a miner in Sichuan province ("Barker consider the presence of that problematic in that place of the world"...)...At the sight of this snake our miner passed out and his coworker detonated some explosives ... the monster of course ... disappeared.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 10:33 am 

Wildlife Conservation Society have had a 50.000USD reward for a snake larger than 9meters (roughly 30feet), this reward remains unclaimed after almost 100years. Every now and again I see claims of snake reaching 10-30meters - when properly examined they rarely exceed 6meters if they are even that big. My personal (estimated) record was a retic in Borneo roughly 4meters (local guy) said it was over 20feet, I say nowhere near that.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 10:53 am 

There was a larger species or subspecies of chimpanzee that is heavily arboreal that was described very recently. Of course the difference between discovered and described is often confused, the locals had been telling visitors about it for a long time and the way I heard the story was they would talk about it but not help westerners find them, and finally a study was done and they were "discovered"... I don't think there is much of a chance of a 30+ft snake in the wild ever being found, but I have my hopes that a few do exist in the deepest parts of Asia and the Amazon.