Android app is in the market

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FunkyRes

Re: Android app is in the market

Post by FunkyRes »

Galaxy Tab 10.1

Splash screen, then black screen. Stays that way.

If there's any debugging stuff I can install that might help, let me know.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Don't know if it matters, but I'm wifi only, no 3g, and I have the android gps stuff disabled in the unit.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

It's an issue with tablets that I am trying to fix.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Ok, I got the tablet issue worked out. Ill have an update in the market shortly.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I put an update into the market. I am not sure how long it takes for the new version to be available.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Times were central time.
Denmeade

Post by Denmeade »

I clicked on update but it said error. But I'm glad to see it in the Market I hope a lot of people Download it I spread the word on it ;)
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

kyle loucks wrote:Times were central time.
What times?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Denmeade wrote:I clicked on update but it said error. But I'm glad to see it in the Market I hope a lot of people Download it I spread the word on it ;)
Did it give you any error message?
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

psyon wrote:
kyle loucks wrote:Times were central time.
What times?

No big deal... it was an hour earlier than when I entered them.... real time.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

kyle loucks wrote:No big deal... it was an hour earlier than when I entered them.... real time.
What was? The time of the find is taken from your device. The creation time of the record is when it was sync'd and is based on server time, which is CST.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

The update has not been automatically pushed to me yet.
I'm actually curious how long it takes, I don't *need* the app so I can wait and see.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Are you able to manually update it?
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Yes, update showed up as available through Google Play - installed, got a pinpoint on my location, etc. - I'll try to use it to document something this week, but it looks like tablet issues are fixed, at least for me.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Ok Don, here's my situation. I tested it the other night. Put in four records. Tried syncing later. I checked the database. One synced up perfectly, and one synced without the picture. The other two are not there. I checked my pending records, and it looks like the two records and the one without the picture are still sitting on the app. So I try syncing them and get this message: Logging in>>> Syncing record 1 of 3>>> Alert - Unexpected token ILLEGAL.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Any ideas?
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I used the app today in the field for the first time. I had problems with the GPS. I could not get it project me in the correct location. It was not the reception or signal because I closed the app down and opened google maps and it marked me in my exact spot. I did notice that when google maps is opened a little symbol to indicate GPS appears on the status bar at the top. This symbol did not show up in the herp app. Also, it seemed to be consistently projecting me about 2.2 miles NW of my actual location.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

spinifer wrote:I used the app today in the field for the first time. I had problems with the GPS. I could not get it project me in the correct location. It was not the reception or signal because I closed the app down and opened google maps and it marked me in my exact spot. I did notice that when google maps is opened a little symbol to indicate GPS appears on the status bar at the top. This symbol did not show up in the herp app. Also, it seemed to be consistently projecting me about 2.2 miles NW of my actual location.
Can you tell me if the coordinates fill into the box are wrong, or just the map it gives you to say where you are?
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

The coordinates are wrong. Today it marked me 0.75 miles SE of my actual location. When I sit at my house it marks me 0.15 miles NE of my actual location. I have tested it at my house several times now in the past 2 weeks. It always marks me in the wrong spot, and the location it marks me has been the same every time.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

spinifer wrote:The coordinates are wrong. Today it marked me 0.75 miles SE of my actual location. When I sit at my house it marks me 0.15 miles NE of my actual location. I have tested it at my house several times now in the past 2 weeks. It always marks me in the wrong spot, and the location it marks me has been the same every time.
It seems like your phone is only using the cell towers and wi-fi networks for location, and not the build in GPS. If you run google maps first, and get a point, then start the app, does that make any difference?
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Nope. When I run my phone with Wi-fi connected, my location is better, but still not as accurate as in Google Maps.

I have a Droid 3
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you hit "Refresh Location" a few times, does the position get any better?
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Nope, stays exactly the same. Even down to the 0.0000000 decimal place.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

spinifer wrote:Nope, stays exactly the same. Even down to the 0.0000000 decimal place.
Hmm... I think it is using a cached location then. Ill do some more research.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

FYI- I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, just the only one posting about it. :(
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

spinifer wrote:FYI- I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, just the only one posting about it. :(
Yeah, I found alot of people complaining about it when using PhoneGap to make apps. Seems to only be an issue on Android right now. The only solution so far is to make a loop to keep refreshing the location until you get to an accuracy that you like, but you said refreshing didn't seem to help. I may have to make a test, and have you try it on your phone. I may not be able to put anything together until next week though.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I pushed an update to the market that uses watchPostion to keep getting location updates rather than getCurrentPosition, which just returns what ever the current location was just one time. Hopefully that will allow the unit to "warm up" and get a better accuracy.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

psyon wrote:I pushed an update to the market that uses watchPostion to keep getting location updates rather than getCurrentPosition, which just returns what ever the current location was just one time. Hopefully that will allow the unit to "warm up" and get a better accuracy.
I will give it a shot tomorrow. Folks should be editing their records anyway, adding addtional info. The location can be amended at that time. Its great for real time basic data. If only I could get my temp app to work and upload at the same time.
Thanks Don

Kyle
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

App was just updated on my phone tonight. GPS is working better from my desk. I'll field test it tomorrow.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

GPS is now working. :thumb: You dont need to hit the "refresh location" because when it gets a better signal it automatically changes.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I just tested it this morning on a turtle I found out while running. The coords were a little off, but only across the lake. Easy to edit.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

brick911 wrote:I just tested it this morning on a turtle I found out while running. The coords were a little off, but only across the lake. Easy to edit.
How long did you wait? I had to wait about a minute (which seemed like forever) when I was under trees today.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

I tried to use it last night for a treefrog on my porch, got all the way to taking the picture but it did not seem to actually upload the record.

Is there something I might try?

And yes, I updated app before using it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Not a big deal, that tablet is really too big IMHO - the app is probably more suitable for phones.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

So you took the picture, then hit continue, it should have let you review the record, then hit save. After you hit save, it just saves it on the phone, and won't upload it until you goto the Pending Records page and tell it to Sync Records.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Ah - OK - synced.
Well, it seems to be stuck syncing 2 or 2 but 2 is duplicate.

I'll have to fill in the elevation later, but it worked.
Geo-reference is actually a couple houses off but is close enough, I'll fix that when I add elevation simply because I know.

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=114325
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I am still WAY behind in learning to use my phone. I finally downloaded the app this morning, and went out to log an ornate box turtle this afternoon. I didn't have my GPS enabled, so I enabled it but wasn't getting a satellite lock. I set the phone down for about 10 minutes but by then the turtle had up and went.

Might have another chance tomorrow morning but that would sadly be my first database entry (I have a pretty severe backlog of records to input).
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

chris_mcmartin wrote:I am still WAY behind in learning to use my phone. I finally downloaded the app this morning, and went out to log an ornate box turtle this afternoon. I didn't have my GPS enabled, so I enabled it but wasn't getting a satellite lock. I set the phone down for about 10 minutes but by then the turtle had up and went.

Might have another chance tomorrow morning but that would sadly be my first database entry (I have a pretty severe backlog of records to input).
That is why I usually use the built in camera app to take a picture first, then I open H.E.R.P. Mobile and enter the record. Other people have suggested I make the voucher screen be the first one, and I may do that.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Don,
I'm running into that problem again where I go to sync my records and it says Alert... Unexpected token ILLEGAL. The first few I entered from last night seem to have synced properly, but I have a few on my phone that won't. I can't figure out what is going wrong.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Actually, scratch that. I just checked my records that seemed to go through and there's all sorts of issues with them. I'm just gonna email my pics to myself and do it manually.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

What kind of issues with them?
brick911

Post by brick911 »

All the coords are off. They are all South of where I was.

This photo didn't upload:

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=116662

This one looks like the photo uploaded, but upon opening the record, it didn't.

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=116661
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you were able to see the map at the time, was the coordinate it showed when you were creating the new record accurate?

Did the phone goto sleep while you were submitting the records?
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Not sure... I just kept herping. It DID go to sleep a bunch of times as it was taking forever to sync while in the field.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

The whole point is that you don't sync while in the field. You save records in the field, and then sync when you are back at home, or on a stable WiFi connection.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Gotcha... I want to figure this out and have confidence in working it correctly. I'm not just complaining.
MiamiCracker

Post by MiamiCracker »

Hey just letting you know I'm new to the site and I got the app. I'll let you know how it works for me.
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

Hope its OK that i am bumping this again but I just got the chance to try out this app for the first time and it won't let me sync my record. It keeps giving me the error "check your settings and try again." What settings do I need to check? Thanks-
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Your username and password.
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

Thanks that did it. I don't know how I missed that before. One last thing, when I try to get the GPS coordinates I only get a flash picture of the satellite view before it shrinks to a question mark. How come I can't see where I am?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you don't have a good data connection then it will only show your coordinates, and not the google map.