Snakes On A Plate III: World's Most Beautiful Snake Belly?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Snakes On A Plate III: World's Most Beautiful Snake Belly?

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

There are two species of kukri snakes in Taiwan; the endemic Oligodon formosanus, and O. ornatus, whose distribution range includes parts of Mainland China. Here on the island, O. ornatus is as rare as O. formosanus is abundant, and it's categorized as endangered. While its dorsal area might not be much to write home about, its underside is probably among the prettiest snake bellies on the planet. This is only the second time I've found a wild O. ornatus, and the first time I've had the chance to photograph it. I'm a macro enthusiast, so I take most small snakes home to take their pictures with proper gear (macro slider etc.) I know the white dinner plate leaves much room for improvement, and I promise I'll research ways of shooting stuff in more natural-looking surroundings in the future (such as Bill Love's little Natural Photo Stage).

In the West, few people keep or even know about kukri snakes, so here's a bit of info from http://www.snakesoftaiwan.com:

"This cathemeral (diurnal or nocturnal), oviparous snake inhabits mountainous regions or plantations. It preys mainly on reptile eggs; the large, laterally flattened posterior teeth in the upper jaw and the large rostral shield are adapted to cut open and thrust into the eggs.

Kukri snakes derive their name from the above-mentioned blade-like teeth that resemble the famous kukri dagger of Nepal's Gurkha soldiers. In defense, these teeth are used in a slashing manner which can cause gaping wounds that may bleed profusely - probably an effect of the snake's saliva which is rumored to possess anticoagulant qualities.
" [I can attest to this - getting bitten even by the tiny babies (we keep two O. formosanus at home) can be quite a gory affair.]

Snakes that specialize on the eggs of birds usually swallow eggs whole then crush them. Oligodon instead uses enlarged, blade-like rear maxillary teeth to make repeated slashes in the leathery egg shell, inserts its head, and swallows the yolk. The mechanics of cutting involve cycles of extreme displacement of the maxillary bone, whose blade-like teeth are swung in arcs to make ever deeper slashes in the shell until a slit is formed. The cycles during cutting involve protraction, engagement, and retraction of the palatomaxillary arch of one side while the contralateral jaws maintain a continuous hold on the egg surface".

PS: It's always a bit of a chore to coil a snake, lay it on its back, and then keep it there for ventral photographs, but this one was a particularly uncooperative specimen, hence the dearth of pictures of the most interesting part. Here's a much better picture than my meager efforts produced.

monklet

Re: Snakes On A Plate III: World's Most Beautiful Snake Bell

Post by monklet »

I much prefer the dorsum ...very unusual pattern and subtle hues...to each his own, sigh. Great pics!
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yes, thats a very nice looking belly pattern.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Awesome snake, Hans. Great shots too. Thanks for sharing.
billysbrown

Post by billysbrown »

Nice snake and a genus I find fascinating. You mentioned you keep them at home - I'm curious about that. What do you feed them? Thanks,
Billy
Crimson King

Post by Crimson King »

Nice! Sometimes a piece of plexiglas or glass can be used for belly shots..or any box with a clear bottom. Much easier.
Lots of snakes with drab dorsal coloring have the coolest bellies!
:Mark
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

I really like that snakes belly Hans. Reminds me of a Jackson Pollack painting.

Phil
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Thanks for the kudos, guys!

Billy, I feed them raw, lightly beaten chicken eggs.

Crimson King - thanks for the great tip!!
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Very cool. Oligodon is a fascinating and beautiful genus - Oligodon octolineatus is a personal favourite. The ventral colouration is presumably Batesian mimicry of coral snakes (Calliophis sp.) - some of the kukri snakes will also raise and curl their tails in the many of Calliophis sp. to expose the bright ventral scales.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

TNWJackson wrote:some of the kukri snakes will also raise and curl their tails in the many of Calliophis sp. to expose the bright ventral scales.
....and pop out their wieners in a ghastly defense display. The first time I saw that I thought it was injured!
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Haha I've never seen that, how bizarre.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

I saw it three times in one night. The first two times I thought I'd injured it with my tongs, but the third time I used a hook, and the phenomenon occurred AGAIN....then I knew I'd been had :-)
Jason_Hood

Post by Jason_Hood »

Looks like you still need to teach your kid to NOT eat the snakes... maybe you could bring along some dried meat or fruit or something, he is a growing boy you know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pics of a really cool snake!! Thanks!

Jason
chrish

Post by chrish »

Hans,

Gorgeous beast. I've always though Oligodon were underappreciated snakes. Their dorsal patterns are amazing.
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:PS: It's always a bit of a chore to coil a snake, lay it on its back, and then keep it there for ventral photographs, but this one was a particularly uncooperative specimen, hence the dearth of pictures of the most interesting part. Here's a much better picture than my meager efforts produced.
Somewhat Simple Solution: Put them on glass against a white-ish ceiling. Then take a photo from below.
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

The belly markings look like it's painted on, wonderful natural art.
Tom Sinclair

Post by Tom Sinclair »

Oligodon are really cool snakes. I found both formosanus and cinerea on Lantau Island, New territories.

Skip Lazell, our expedition leader, mistakenly held one loosely and was repaid for his carelessness with a bite that looked like he had been cut with a straight razor.

Kukri Snakes don't come by their name for nothing!!
Tom Sinclair

Post by Tom Sinclair »

Freehandling Kukri snakes can result in bites that look like cuts from a razor blade!!

I collected Oligodon cinereus and Oligodon formosanus in the New territories and witnessed first hand the blood letting that occurred!!
copperhead

Post by copperhead »

Beautiful snake - what is their natural diet?
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Reptile eggs (hence the slasher teeth). But they thrive on chicken eggs in captivity.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Unique!!
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Very cool, Hans.
I've had a fascination with Oligodon for years, but I've only been able to see one in captivity, ever. They're not too common over here.