Tubs for large snakes?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

Tubs for large snakes?

Post by Don Becker »

If I wanted some larger tubs that are say... 5' x 3' at least. Are my only options to buy the boa and python tubs from Vision? Am I better off just building some sort of wooden enclosure if I want something of that size?
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: Tubs for large snakes?

Post by Scott Waters »

I think Vision sells tubs much larger than the boa rack tubs. Scroll to the bottom of this page....
http://visionproducts.us/htm7/tubs.html
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I was hoping for something that wasn't going to cost $200 a pop.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Since your good at building maybe you could find vats - industrial sources etc. And fabricate lids. Aluminum hoovestock troughs - you could probably lid them too . But the troughs are expensive and used ones look it.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Wow, you think I am good at building? I specifically made easy to build racks before :P If I had to build actual wooden enclosures or something, I would probably have to call one of my brother in laws down to help me :)
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

You might consider some of the set ups the Varanus folks use, metal or plastic type tubs used for live stock water troughs, with various types of wood and plexiglass lids. They are light if metal, heavier but very durable if Rubbermaid types stock tanks. They are easily washed out, stackable when not in use, deep enough to allow a lot of substrate etc. Drawer type set ups are probalby the best for space efficiency, but they have some limitations as far as establishing temp gradients and being able to readily see your animals. Good luck, the right choice now will bring you and your animals years of pleasure. In general, I have gotten away from wood when I can, although it can work well if you adequately seal it.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I was thinking of a sandwich: inner & outer skins of a thin, light, cheap veneer, glued to rigid polystyrene foam. You could fiberglass over the inner skin. Or just paint it with drylok if smoothness isn't a strong desire (smooth just cleans so much easier...big snake, big snake dookie...).

The resulting enclosure (or hull, at least) would be tough, light, pretty cheap, and any size and shape your space and inhabitants require. Oh, and waterproof, and well-insulated against those Arctic winters in Iowa! (Ha ha.). I'm playing with such a design right now. It's sort of on hold while I complete some major home renovation projects, but I'll get there.

Another large-format, super-cheap hull building material is hollow-core doors. I also have a project like this about 50% complete.

Vic's stock tank idea is also good, but those can be pretty pricey. Also, industrial/warehouse supply catalogs sometimes feature large wheeled plastic tubs that could surely be re-purposed.

Just trying to be constructively creative here.

FWIW - nothing I guess - personally I detest drawer-type setups. Temperature gradients (the lack of range...) are what started me down the path, then aesthetics and animal welfare concerns.)

Cheers,
Jimi
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

How about one of youse guys just making custom-molded tubs out of fiberglass...survey the potential client list for desired features and then make a mold based on those inputs? 'twould be a fun project (though cost/labor might make it prohibitive). I've only done VERY small fiberglass work (for R/C aircraft).
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Hmm. I've never done "negative" work with 'glass, only "positive" - surfboards, fish tubs, etc. For molded work like you suggest, I wonder if it would be easier and cheaper to just approach Neodesha or someone with some design specs? They'd probably have a minimum order of 500 or something...or maybe they could be prevailed upon to trial a new product line...

Still, it is an intriguing garage idea. I've thought of playing with this sort of idea for enclosure backgrounds - waterfalls etc. Many mornings in the shower (a molded fiberglass wrap-around thing...) I muse on the potential herpetocultural applications of fiberglass...

Cheers,
Jimi
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yeah alot of enclosures at the zoo were shelled in fibergass I think even a penguin 'arctic scene' above a narrow pool as well as others .

us plastic corp looks like it has what psyon is looking for. Giant rectangular plastic tanks . But theyre about 200 bucks too.

The thing is about stuff like this - is in some warehouse someplace there are a Stack of these that someone would sell for cheap.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hornemadness

Post by Hornemadness »

I actually use those for my bloods. They are great for large snakes, but they are only available in stores around christmas. You could try and get a concrete mixing tub.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've been able to get them outside of the Christmas season when they are not touted as Christmas tree storage. Iris sells them, I believe. The ones I have are, in my opinion, better anyway because they have a clear lid and no wheels. I paid around $40 for them.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

What is the area of the floor on those tubs?