WW Bear / UFO post

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

WW Bear / UFO post

Post by LouB747 »

Cruised a bear last night. He was on the road and we followed him down it at a descent pace for about 100 yards before he headed into the desert.

Sorry, no pics. Happened too fast.

Anyone else ever cruise a bear out there?
Fundad

Re: WW Bear

Post by Fundad »

Anyone else ever cruise a bear out there?
Oh yeah..

Fundad
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I don't know much about bears, but generally I associate them with mountainous areas and cooler temps. I never expected one there. I'm now guessing there may well be mountain lions there as well. Live and learn...
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

WW goes WAY up into the mountains.. And yes there are mtn lions there.. I have seen tracks in the upper sections way beyond the road sections..

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That's pretty crazy. I have heard of one story of a bear out there. They thought it was a tire in the road until it got up and ran off.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Holy Schlamoly...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I've seen bears on the north side of the Berdoo's (deep creek) and Teel saw a Mt lion there a week or so ago. good fun.. :crazyeyes: jim
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

I've seen a mt. lion climbing the hill on the left as you just make the turn onto ww rd., I've seen a herd of Big Horn at the bridge too. Haven't seen a bear yet.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

I saw a bobcat there and a UFO there one time too.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

a UFO there one time too.
I love campfire stories of UFO's and Bigfoot..

Tell us the story.. :shock: :D

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Well, for one, it wasn't a UFO with aliens. lol Its really hard to describe in words, but me and my friend were coming down South on the road with a lot of trees by the river on the left side. It was late at night. All the sudden something lights up right on top of the tree line in the trees. Its moving in a very awkward fashion, like a drunk alien. LOL Only that it was small, so no one could have been in it. So, we are watching it for a few seconds and all the sudden it lights up really bright and you can now clearly see all the tops of the trees from the light its putting out. My friend bones out! Its out of sight within seconds. I had a camcorder on it the whole time. When we played the video back, everything was black like there was a cover over the lens, only there wasn't. The audio is there and its the funniest thing ever listening to it. When it lights up I say oh shit Aaron look! He goes "Woehoe" life surfer style. LOL The whole time he's taking off I'm telling him to go back, but he didn't want to. Finally, I was like, slow down you're going to hit a snake. lol It was his car and he never drove back there after that, so we left. I don't know what the hell it was, maybe some kind of remote control helicopter with a really bright light, but the way it moved made it seem like it was not something like that. Anyway, I saw this show years later an the lights in Anza Borrego that are unexplained and the way they were described, sounded like this one. One theory is they are balls of electric energy like a lightning bolt in the form of a ball that doesn't move as fast and lasts longer. Could have been something like that, but who knows. And no, I've never seen a big foot, but I remember a post from 2005 when Hubbs said he saw Bigfoot on WW eating a hypomelanistic Rosy boa. lol
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Cool story.. :thumb: Love it..

I would love to hear that audio.. :shock: :thumb:

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yeah, I'd like to get it uploaded to you tube some day. Its pretty funny. We are arguing the whole time. I wanted him to go back, but he wouldn't. lol
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Yeah, I'd like to get it uploaded to you tube some day. Its pretty funny. We are arguing the whole time. I want him to go back, but he won't. lol

Report this post
oh Dude, email it to me.. :mrgreen:

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

I will keep you in mind. :mrgreen:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I saw a UFO in 1976... I was SO BLOWN AWAY, I called Norton AFB and reported it. To this day I have no Idea what it was, yet, I can still picture it vividly in my mind. :shock: jim
Never seen a bigfoot, nor has my dad, who grew up in British Columbia... :roll:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

hellihooks wrote:To this day I have no Idea what it was
LSD

:lol:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ross Padilla wrote:
LSD

Not THAT night... :crazyeyes: A little beer and weed... but not enough to hallucinate ... :roll: jim
billboard

Post by billboard »

Seen bears a few times at WW, and up in the Gabes as well.......
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

hellihooks wrote:
Ross Padilla wrote:
LSD

Not THAT night... :crazyeyes: A little beer and weed... but not enough to hallucinate ... :roll: jim
Yep, I have a friend that said they fallowed a strange light out of town one night the size of a basketball. It kept getting higher and higher until it was gone, but never moved fast. One of those strange things you can't figure out.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

billboard wrote:and up in the Gabes as well.......
Yep, have seen them up there as well.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

There's a sign on WW, I think before the bridge, that warns of bears and mtn lions. Never seen one back there, but I have seen a bear up in the Gabes.

reako45
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

OK, forget about bears. Here's my UFO story.

I fly for the airlines. I have flown cargo flights for the last 15 years or so. That means plenty of night flights. I've seen satelites, shooting stars, the International Space Station, even a comet or two.. quite a few years back. But there's one flight I'll never forget. The flight was LAX to Honolulu. A great, easy flight with a fun destination awaiting us. I've flown the route many times. The typical setup is for the outbound flights flying the "Delta" route with the return flights flying the "Echo" route. The routes are seperated by 50 miles. You don't see the aircraft on the return route. So once outbound from the coast, you don't really see anyone coming at you. Occasionally you'll catch up to someone on the same route but at a different altitude. At night this rarely happens. Not much traffic heading to the islands at 2am. We also a a screen called a TCAS, that shows us traffic "other aircraft" withing 40 miles of us and within approximately + - 3000 ft. So it's no surprise when you're catching someone, or they're catching you. But to catch someone takes some time as your both traveling about the same speed. All that said, we're approximately halfway to Honolulu when I see a bright white flash in front of us. It stays illuminated for 10 secs or so then fades. It's very hard to guess distances at night, but I'm guessing it's 10 miles away. I forgot to mention that it's typical for airliners that due pass each other to "flash" their landing lights at each other. So I initially thought it was an aircraft coming at us. I turned on our landing lights to flash them. I thought this strange though as I mentioned earlier, they seperate tracks over the ocean by 50 miles. No one should be flying at us. Their light faded from a bright white to a burnt orange now. And then the orange light got really bright and looked like a comet in the sky. It wasn't heading at us as I thought, but heading southbound, as I could track the movement and see the trail of orange. We had a few "jumpseaters" on board. Employees of another airline that could travel for free on our airline. 2 flight attendants. They were sleeping in the bunks in back. I had the first officer (co pilot) go and wake them as I figured they might want to see it too. I contacted ATC (air traffic control) to ask about traffic in our area. Over the Pacific, theres no radar. But ATC has a log of whos where. They said we were the only plane out there. The orange trail got brighter and the "craft" accelerated quite quickly. I flew faster than anything I've ever seen before. It wasn't long before it crossed the sky and dissapeared from sight. All of us in the cockpit just looked at each other with not much to say. ATC came back and asked why we inquired as to traffic in the area. I told them what we saw. Again, they stated there wasn't any traffic in the area. They asked if we'd like to file a report. I decided not too.

UFO? I guess it was to us. From another planet? Who knows. It could be a military plane/rocket of some sort. In hindsight, I'm guessing the flash was the ignition of the rocket. It must have burnt "orange" once lit. Again, I've never seen anything go that fast. To this day I wonder what it was.

Lou
Ryan Sikola

Post by Ryan Sikola »

My one and only time cruising WW I saw ruber and a bear :shock:

That place is beautiful to hike by day btw :)
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Oh wow, that is crazy, Lou. That's a strange place for anything to happen.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

reako45 wrote:There's a sign on WW, I think before the bridge, that warns of bears and mtn lions. Never seen one back there, but I have seen a bear up in the Gabes.

reako45
IMG_8140 by RossAZ480, on Flickr
H. laoticus

Post by H. laoticus »

Might as well, here's my UFO story:

I was about 8 years old at the time. I was with some neighbors as we stood on the 2nd floor balcony of an apartment complex. The night sky was starting to have stars as we stood and looked. That was when I spotted a red dot in the far distance. At first I thought it was some sort of plane, but it wasn't blinking, it just stayed still in the dark sky. Suddenly the red dot flashes and creates a star shape as the rays extend. Right after it did that it shoots straight up and vanishes. I've never seen anything like that or move that fast ever since.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

OH love the UFO stories everyone.. :thumb: :beer:

Keep them coming.. :thumb:

Fundad
Ryan Sikola

Re: WW Bear / UFO post

Post by Ryan Sikola »

I was 19 or 20 at the time I saw a UFO. Me, my friend Chris and Melissa (his girlfriend at the time) were dropped off in the kern canyon at night to go camping on a whim, this time all we brought was our tents, some hot dogs, chili and fishing poles. We set up our tents and decided not to start a campfire and just watch the stars. Well I noticed an orange "ufo" dot star thing hovering around over the lake and then it was darting in random directions. Chris watched with me and Melissa ran into the tent and cried, she was freaked out. After the darting it stopped for a second then shot out diagonally west into space.

I also saw a bear in WW.
Robert Hansen

Post by Robert Hansen »

Here's my "UFO" story. I was working a long-term desert canyon study site alone one summer moonless night. All of sudden a brightly lit object appeared in the very low western sky at what looked like the head of the canyon, just a few miles away. The light from this object got so bright that it illuminated the entire 10-mile stretch of the canyon. I had never seen anything like it, and was not sure what I was seeing. It was a most memorable occasion. However, in poking around a day or so later, I learned that a military rocket or something similar was re-entering the atmosphere that evening...and it happened over Vandenburg AFB, about 170 miles to the west. So what I thought was practically on top of me turned out to be a long ways off but producing a tremendous amount of light. There were no chemical additives involved :)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ok... since folks seem to like UFO stories.
There was me, my buddy Ron, and two girls, Trish and Cher... just cruisen up in the foothills/groves, partying a bit... ;)
I was looking out over the lights of San Bernardino, when this thing appeared out of nowhere, approximately 2 miles away, and about a half a mile above the city. (Del Rosa/16th ? street) It was a bright glowing ball with a triangle roughly twice the diameter of the ball, in lenght, at a 45% angle. The ball had a shimmery exterior white glow, but you could see colored lights inside it, moving in random patterns. The triangle was the brightest white I've ever seen, and while the edges were razor-sharp, inside the edges there was a bit of blasting flame-like motion... hard to describe.. but If I could make up something to describe it... a Nuclear blowtorch blowing inside a glass cone (towards the tip, away from the globe)

It's movements were also like nothing I've ever seen before... in that..you couldn't ACTUALLY see it move...it rather just seemed to disappear and reappear in a step-like fashion at a rate of about 3 times a second, and descending at the same downward 45% angle that the triangle was pointed in... so it was like click, click, click. click... about 10-12 steps down.. (in 3 1/2 sec, that seem MUCH longer).. the colored lights inside the globe brightened a bit... and it vanished... just flat vanished, as though it had never been there... :shock:

I have no idea what it was, but it was a real tangible object... not a reflection or mirage, or any other thing. I KNOW for SURE it was an actual 'thing' that appeared in the sky, and I'd estimate the globe portion to be about the size of a house, and the triangle about 200 ft long.

Cher was the only other person in the car to see it, and she was at best nonplussed... didn't even want to confirm what we saw, when I called Norton AFB, bout an hour later. She was a rather 'shallow' gal (her 'still waters' weren't deep... they were stagnant... :crazyeyes: )
I was so upset with her, I almost refused to 'service' her that night... ALMOST... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim

Robert... sometimes when they launch rockets from Vandenburg, they leave a multi-colored vapor trail... like a rainbow went through a blender... my overly religious wife (at that time) saw it and thought it was a sign from God, and refused my explanation of what it actually was. Next morning they had a pic of it in the paper, explaining that it was (like I said) a chemical contrail. Boy... was she PISSED... at ME... :shock: Go figure... :lol: :lol:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

The one in Jerusalem at 3:15 is the most interesting one to me.

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Wow Ross.. Interesting.. Many of those I had never seen before..

The Isreal film, was proven to be a hoax, and the China incident was thought to be a Chinese rocket..

I cant explain the Moscow footage :shock: , and the Norway footage is weird too..

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yeah, first time I've seen some of those too. Too bad the Israel one was fake. I liked that one. lol There's another one in there that I think is just parachutists falling in the night with something lit up on them like a flair. If you look up UFO over Lake Elsinore you can tell, because that's right where they parachute all the time off the 15. And the guy talking from area 51 on the phone that is almost crying, sounds fake also.

Here's my favorite show. Saw it in 1988. Some parts are boring, but there's a lot of good stories in here.
kingsnakeadam

Post by kingsnakeadam »

I haven't seen any UFOs yet, but I want to really bad, im verry interested in mysterious things. But I have had one "encounter" in the santa ana mountain range hiking in majeska canyon about 6 years ago. Me and my g/f at the time (my wife now) were taking a break sitting next to the creek when around the bend we hear a huge splash in the creek it was verry load and startled us, we sat there for a few minutes just listening and heard nothing else. I got up and slowly and quietly walked and looked around the bend and saw nothing there at all. We we're freaked out and headed back put of the canyon., I have heard that Bigfoot throws rocks to scare people off so I wasn't hanging around there. We we're far into the canyon and completely sober. I did a search online and found that a couple other people have have had sightings in the same cayon
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

I've never been to WW.
If I ever get down that way again, I should go just so I can say I've been.

And to see UFO's.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

I would always ride my bike with my friend in the early 90s on Thursday nights to help him deliver The Bordentown Register (a local newspaper). One night, and I remember vividly a glowing 'orb' (but more like a squished oval) I guess glide above the sky, and like Jim said, it had lights inside of it just moving around randomly. It was green and glowed, and looked like what the Predator shoots out of its cannon in the movies, with the lights frantically moving around inside the beam. I shouted 'Joe, look look!!!!" before smashing into someone's mailbox on my bike and scraping my arm. He didn't see it but was laughing at me hysterically. I love all UFO stories, and every time I drove cross country I would always look for them in the sky as soon as I hit the desert........ :lol:

Awesome stuff. Ironically, the few times I've been at WW by myself I have made it a point to get out of my car, turn the engine and lights off, and stare at the sky for a few minutes to find enlightenment. Then I hear creepy scary noises and always jump back in and do about 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds.......
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

reako45[/quote]
IMG_8140 by RossAZ480, on Flickr[/quote]

This is the sign I always point to when Holly is complaining that WW road is 'stupid' and 'boring' because we never find anything there (we basically haven't :lol: ). I tell her one day, if I'm lucky, while photographing some Ruber, hopefully a bear and a mountain lion will pull her out of the car and rip her to shreds and a flash flood will come and wash away all of the evidence...... :twisted:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

yeah... that'll learn her... :crazyeyes: chicks hate it when that happens...:lol: :lol: :lol: jim