Texas Herper Survey--FINAL REPORT

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Texas Herper Survey--FINAL REPORT

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Thanks to all who participated. The report can be downloaded (in lower quality; 3MB) here:

Click to Download

I am now exploring options to get it printed up "all fancy-like" to send to TPWD, legislators, chambers o'commerce, etc. but it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg!
Paul White

Re: Texas Herpers Survey--If You Herp TX, Please Participate

Post by Paul White »

It isn't letting me get past 88% (the page with questions about how much you spend on a trip). I hit submit, and it just stays there...I tried to clear everything, then I tried again after putting in some numbers into every field, but either way it just stays there.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Paul White wrote:It isn't letting me get past 88% (the page with questions about how much you spend on a trip). I hit submit, and it just stays there...I tried to clear everything, then I tried again after putting in some numbers into every field, but either way it just stays there.
That's weird...I ran through every possible option when testing the logic and that problem never came up. Maybe it's you. :lol:

I appreciate the feedback. At this point I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to make it work unless I hear from other folks having the same problem so I know it's not some glitch with a particular ISP etc.

Last time I checked, 74 people had completed the survey; hope to get some usable data for approaching herp societies, business owners, TPWD, legislature, etc.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I've been thinking about this problem, not from a technical-solution standpoint, but from an I-want-you-to-be-able-to-contribute standpoint. If I were to PM you the questions, would you be comfortable responding in that manner? The only drawback is that I would be able to see your responses (nobody else would since the results will be percentages etc.), so it wouldn't be anonymous as advertised.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

That'd be fine. It still isn't letting me get past that page which is really strange :?
Felixx68

Post by Felixx68 »

I took the survey when I was in Sanderson, are we going to be allowed to see the results in an anonymous way? Just curious and interested.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Felixx68 wrote:I took the survey when I was in Sanderson, are we going to be allowed to see the results in an anonymous way? Just curious and interested.
Your statement intrigues me...I want to ensure we're talking about the same survey.

I had a "data collection survey" at Sanderson Snake Days (herpers reported their finds along with other pertinent info), and a separate "TX Herpers Survey" that was online via SurveyMonkey and ran July 5-31.

If I understand your comment, you took the ONLINE survey, while you HAPPENED to be in Sanderson (i.e. not at Snake Days, for the online survey was not available at that time yet).

The answer is yes, the results will be published as soon as I complete the report...to do it up right takes time, and I've got around 20 hours into it so far. The results are in chart/graph form, and I have to do the accompanying writeup for survey methodology, question design, discussion of results, and so on; all in my free time so please be patient (though I hope to have it finished in the next week or so)!

:thumb:
Felixx68

Post by Felixx68 »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, you are correct; I "happened" to take the survey while I was in Sanderson. It would be really cool to see the results but I am in no hurry whatsoever and have no reason to be. Thank you for making the survey and doing the subsequent work in your free time. I hope the survey helps Texas herpers, and all herpers for that matter.
chris_mcmartin

Re: Texas Herper Survey--FINAL REPORT

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Thanks to all who participated. The report can be downloaded (in lower quality; 3MB) here:

Click to Download

I am now exploring options to get it printed up "all fancy-like" to send to TPWD, legislators, chambers o'commerce, etc. but it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg!