More yard herps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

More yard herps

Post by justinm »

This is another Bull Snake from the backyard. Bullsnake are seen in my immediate area commonly, which is Epic. I'm hoping all the rabbits that are eating my green beans and brussel sprouts become scarce

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmichels/7320815902/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmichels/7320816358/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmichels/7320817080/

Thanks for looking, I'm not sure how to make a flickr picture show up...
corey.raimond

Re: More yard herps

Post by corey.raimond »

Justin- go to the share tab and copy the image link

Bull Snake by Justin.Michels, on Flickr

matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo »

Flickr is becoming annoying as far as sharing.

In firefox, I click on the image, then "all sizes". from this point you can click the appropriate size then do a normal right click properties copy paste deal.

Cool snake too. We had major rabbit problems in our garden several years ago. Now feral cats are all over so no more rabbits eating our stuff. Cats like gardens as litter boxes though, and its harder to keep them out.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I have a cat problem as well. My wife won't let me do anything about it other than letting the dog out. I have to be diligent about putting the lid on the sand box, as cats like that as a litter box too.
mikethalman

Post by mikethalman »

I will trade you all the fox snakes at my place for your bulls!
justinm

Post by justinm »

You had like 63 there one day when I visited.
Soro

Post by Soro »

That is one pretty looking bull snake. I've come very close on two seperate occasions to finding one of those, but missed the actual snake by just a bit.

I know cats will kill any of the smaller snakes in the area, but have you seen any of their interactions with a large bull snake? I'm sure that would be pretty awesome.
wild child luxy

Post by wild child luxy »

nice
justinm

Post by justinm »

Soro wrote:That is one pretty looking bull snake. I've come very close on two seperate occasions to finding one of those, but missed the actual snake by just a bit.

I know cats will kill any of the smaller snakes in the area, but have you seen any of their interactions with a large bull snake? I'm sure that would be pretty awesome.

I haven't seen any interactions. I've heard some tales from people about the Bull Snakes and rabbits. Mostly that the Rabbits can get pretty aggressive towards the Bull Snakes. I would like to see this in action of course. Some of the Rabbits in the prairies near me are as big as my dog, which is a Boston Terrier.
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

Sweet bull, man! (Or is it "Bro"? :D )
mikethalman

Post by mikethalman »

Yeah and I made the mistake of letting them go in my front yard! Now im getting them somehow sneaking into the house! Wife loves that!
mikethalman

Post by mikethalman »

Justin
Just curious are you referring to jackrabbits? I have been doing research on jackrabbits in Iowa. And was curious if thats what u r seeing. And where are u seeing them?
justinm

Post by justinm »

I think they're just cottontails that are taking advantage of big gardens. I live rural, everyone has large yards and most of us have big gardens. The rabbits get an easy life as my dog (Boston Terrier) and the neighbors closest have pugs. The rabbits are easily outpacing the dogs and have escape routes all planned out. I've not been able to grow Green Beans, I've lost the entire row of plants 4 times and gave up replanting them. The pesky critters have been snacking on green tomatoes usually just one bite, and walking casually over herbs and other things.

So I don't know that they're jackrabbits, just really well fed rabbits. The bullsnakes are likely in my yard to get the baby rabbits that are often in a burrow under my shed.
mikethalman

Post by mikethalman »

Well like I mentioned earlier....You can send me some of those bulls! Pocket gophers are making my front pasture look like a prairie dog town! 20 years ago when bulls were very common, I would not be having this problem.
Matt.O

Post by Matt.O »

Awesomeness!!!! The lifer in Missouri I cant seem to find, and you have them in your backyard. Ill trade taking you out to see the spring mating Ringed sallies here to getting that lifer Bull! Hope your doing well we need to catch up, send me a PM I have new #
justinm

Post by justinm »

Matt,

You've shown me so much of Missouri that I wouldn't have ever gotten to see, that I would love to host you. How are the girls? I'll pm you for the new number.