Mystery SW Florida Frog

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KingCam

Mystery SW Florida Frog

Post by KingCam »

According to this post on FF.net this frog was found in SW Florida. The user is trying to get an ID, and no one on that forum seems to know what it is.

I knew this would be the place to take the photo ;) Thanks in advance guys, I know someone here will know what it is!

The Real Snake Man

Re: Mystery SW Florida Frog

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Small Cuban? I know very little about non-native (or native for that matter) frogs, but I know the Cubans are prevalent in Florida.
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Not a cuban, but definitely exotic.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Bigger:
Naturewoman

Post by Naturewoman »

I think the ID to this little frog was figured out. It's a young Cuban Tree Frog. At least that's want a person on FrogForum ID it to be. This was my picture and find. I was hoping so much more for this little guy. The Cuban Tree Frog gets such a bad rap...

Thanks for the help!
Debbie
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Cuban Tree Frogs can get all the good rap they want... in Cuba. No one likes invasives.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i gotta agree with the real snake man. ok, so one could argue that some species will inflict more harm on natives, and i agree with this, however, i take the stand that any exotic is bad in it's own way. too bad there is no remedy in florida. enjoy them if you like them i suppose.

-ben
Naturewoman

Post by Naturewoman »

Understand the invasive species part, but the frog is just doing what frogs do. He never planned on moving here. It was us humans that helped in his move to the states... I can't condemn and kill him just because he's a Cuban Tree Frog. My heart doesn't work that way...

BTW, isn't that what the US is all about, invasive species. And didn't the human species do a lot of damage to the natives.
jordo

Post by jordo »

It's all relative...
An invasive species is just an excellent disperser that can out do the competition. Whether this is aided by humans or not, it's just doing its thing (and doing it well). It's a shame when an invasive species can negatively effect the ecosystem and existing 'native' fauna but that's life. Over time the earth has undergone a series of major and minor diversification and extinction events. New species will continue to pop up and other species will decline and perish, we're just watching it happen in slow motion ;)

...cute frog :)
gbin

Post by gbin »

I'd say instead that we're more or less heedlessly pushing the species' decline and extinction end of things into ultra-fast motion, while the rise of new species end of things stays in slow motion and can't possibly keep up (even with our "help" in terms of transporting organisms to new, disjunct regions). :(

Gerry
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Naturewoman wrote:Understand the invasive species part, but the frog is just doing what frogs do. He never planned on moving here. It was us humans that helped in his move to the states... I can't condemn and kill him just because he's a Cuban Tree Frog. My heart doesn't work that way...

Mine does
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Florida is past the point of no return. Human's are the biggest exotics in this state and much (much not all of course) of the exotic animals here are only invading areas of human inhabitation. Cuban treefrogs, unfortunately, are spread throughout much of the state, including natural areas. Anyway, people can debate this crap all day long...doesn't take from the fact that this is a stunning example.

-Jake