Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joe Farah

Kid shot while herping

Post by Joe Farah »

KingCam

Re: Kid shot while herping

Post by KingCam »

Precisely why I'll be getting my license to conceal this year. Somebody points a gun at me and I'm going to blow their head off if they give me the chance.
gbin

Post by gbin »

KingCam wrote:Precisely why I'll be getting my license to conceal this year. Somebody points a gun at me and I'm going to blow their head off if they give me the chance.
Yeah, if only that 11-year-old boy, his little brother and their friends had all been carrying, they could have fought off their assailants in a good old wild-west-style gunfight. Yeehaw! :roll:

Does anyone else think maybe these kids didn't tell the police the truth, and maybe one of them got shot accidentally while they were playing with a gun that they found?

Gerry
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

high wrote:Yeah, if only that 11-year-old boy, his little brother and their friends had all been carrying, they could have fought off their assailants in a good old wild-west-style gunfight. Yeehaw! :roll:
:lol: I'm just saying, I've had plenty of encounters with unsavory people who made me scared for my life in the field. There are too many dangerous people out there to be going out defenseless, and this is just another incident to support that opinion.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Does anyone else think maybe these kids didn't tell the police the truth, and maybe one of them got shot accidentally while they were playing with a gun that they found?
Sometimes I hate to be such a cynic, but that was my thought, too.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Add me to the list of cynics also, but the follow-up says otherwise:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me ... l-20120315
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

KingCam wrote:
high wrote:Yeah, if only that 11-year-old boy, his little brother and their friends had all been carrying, they could have fought off their assailants in a good old wild-west-style gunfight. Yeehaw! :roll:
:lol: I'm just saying, I've had plenty of encounters with unsavory people who made me scared for my life in the field. There are too many dangerous people out there to be going out defenseless, and this is just another incident to support that opinion.
I guess one question is, if you'd been carrying during the "plenty of encounters with...people who made you scared for your life" would you have used it in any of the instances? Several? If so, would you be comfortable reviewing the circumstances if you'd injured or killed the people who made you fearful? If not, was there any need to be carrying? What are the odds that your having a weapon might have escalated the situation? (THEY might have been scared for their lives, seeing you with a gun).

I was hijacked at gunpoint many years ago and as you might imagine, I've relived the experience many times. (I survived in part because a very observant cop began following us: I ended up in a stop with the officer at my window with his gun drawn, and me knowing there was a kid in the backseat who was also armed. Not a good feeling. Cop skills saved the day).

Anyway, my first instinct was John Waynish--I briefly imagined grabbing the gun, or crashing into a tree. Fortunately--in my case, i believe, that instinct quickly passed. If I'd had a gun, would I have used it? I'm not sure I'd have had the opportunity. If it were under the car seat or in the glove box, I'd not have had a chance to get to it. If it were on my belt, it's fun to imagine I could quick-draw faster than they could pull the trigger, but I know better. Yeah, it could have gone any of a hundred ways. (They'd done this four nights in a row, and on one occasion fired shots when a driver jumped from his car at a light and ran; whether they fired at him or in the air is anyone's guess. They pistol whipped another driver, who i later met in court, and who was so obnoxious i got some comfort knowing he'd been pistol whipped. But I digress...)

Anyway, I have wrestled with the impulse to arm-up. So far, i've resisted. I did recently buy a couple canisters of pepper/tear gas, for dogs or people. And I bought a personal locator beacon in case I'm ever hurt or lost outside cellphone range, since I too often herp alone. Deciding to pack is a HUGE decision. I just hope everyone makes it wisely.
Hornemadness

Post by Hornemadness »

I have never been a fan of guns personally. I'm not a gun control nut or anything, i just have never been in a situation were having a gun would have helped me. When i think about it logically carrying a gun might up the ante as far as other peoples reactions to me. I've herped on the border before and have had encounters with drug smugglers and illegal aliens. Every encounter ive had (there were like 3) the guys left me alone and when about their business since i was obviously not a cop. If i had a gun, they would have found it, and it might have gone a lot worse for me. Besides, unless you have a weapon in an easily accessible place its useless to you (as in you have a gun in your house for defense, but the gun is in a locked cabinet or safe, unloaded, with the ammo stored elsewhere under lock and key).
justinm

Post by justinm »

I was shot walking down the street where I grew up rural. I was walking to the barn to put horses out to pasture and a neighbor kid put a 22/250 out the window and took a plug at me. Since then I've had a cop who was a little over zealous put a gun to my head and make threats, and found myself lost in a bad neighborhood asking for directions and got a gun to my head. In two of those situations I guess I could have retaliated if I had a gun, but looking back it's never crossed my mind.

I believe we should be able to have guns, but I know too many idiots have them.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

A COP held a gun to your head?!? Damn :shock:
gbin

Post by gbin »

I've been in some pretty unnerving situations before, in the field and on city streets, but the times when I've been most concerned for my and others' safety have been when I've gone on outings with friends who brought guns along because they thought "there are too many dangerous people out there to be going out defenseless." Ample statistics support my firm belief that these friends brought with them way more danger to us than there was any reasonable expectation that we might otherwise face.

It's not that I'm anti-gun, either. I myself have a rifle that I used to hunt with, though it's been a long time now since I've gotten to enjoy that pursuit. Likewise, plenty of my friends do or at one time did hunt. What I'm opposed to is specifically the foolishly dangerous idea that "there are too many dangerous people out there to be going out defenseless." You do as you see fit, KCam, but I wouldn't field herp or do anything else with you if you were carrying a gun for self-protection from other people. It's just not worth the risks involved.

Gerry
justinm

Post by justinm »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:A COP held a gun to your head?!? Damn :shock:
Yes I was 16 driving a friends car, and he had a BB pistol in the back seat. No one was in the backseat and it was clearly visible. I still remember the cop pushing the gun against my head so hard that my ear was pressed against my shoulder. He was yelling about any sudden moves and he would fill the neighborhood with noise. I then got cuffed and had my head banged off the hood a few times before I knew why. Luckily one of my friends had a dad who was a cop and came on scene. He made sure I knew how dumb that gun was etc. etc. It was a pretty scary mess, and I think that cop was as dumb as the others who puts a gun on me.

FYI, the kid who shot me isn't with us anymore... Wish I could say I did anything to him to retaliate. It ended up being the cops a few weeks later.
dery

Post by dery »

Hornemadness wrote:I have never been a fan of guns personally. I'm not a gun control nut or anything, i just have never been in a situation were having a gun would have helped me. When i think about it logically carrying a gun might up the ante as far as other peoples reactions to me. I've herped on the border before and have had encounters with drug smugglers and illegal aliens. Every encounter ive had (there were like 3) the guys left me alone and when about their business since i was obviously not a cop. If i had a gun, they would have found it, and it might have gone a lot worse for me. Besides, unless you have a weapon in an easily accessible place its useless to you (as in you have a gun in your house for defense, but the gun is in a locked cabinet or safe, unloaded, with the ammo stored elsewhere under lock and key).
if leathal. me neither except for hunting purposes but still, why not just fish, but as&pb guns i love gettin shot by, exept those high fps sniper rifles, a british friend of mine got one in his chin yet hesitated to take him to hh because of his expire greencard while we debate which person shot him
roosters977

Post by roosters977 »

justinm wrote:
Yes I was 16 driving a friends car, and he had a BB pistol in the back seat. No one was in the backseat and it was clearly visible. I still remember the cop pushing the gun against my head so hard that my ear was pressed against my shoulder. He was yelling about any sudden moves and he would fill the neighborhood with noise. I then got cuffed and had my head banged off the hood a few times before I knew why. Luckily one of my friends had a dad who was a cop and came on scene. He made sure I knew how dumb that gun was etc. etc. It was a pretty scary mess, and I think that cop was as dumb as the others who puts a gun on me.

FYI, the kid who shot me isn't with us anymore... Wish I could say I did anything to him to retaliate. It ended up being the cops a few weeks later.

Any reason as to why the kid shot you?
dery

Post by dery »

roosters977 wrote:
justinm wrote:

bb pistols are a higher fps than airsoft and paintball guns, exept for the sniper riffle airsoft guns as i mentioned and i heard pro paintball guns, never got shot or witnessed such.so you may have seemed a threat. next time conceal it better.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

My brother put a gun to my head once, cause I was gonna feed his wife's cat, that he didn't like, and didn't want fed. We were both doing tons of Meth at the time, and that was one of those 'rock bottom' moments that made me give up drugs... along with the lead pellet I was carrying in my forehead (right between the eyes) that I had acquired a week or two before, during a big fight I had started at a keg party. Took me like 2 years of sobriety, for the Doctor's to believe me enough (that someone had shot me tween the eyes... :roll: ) to cut the pellet out... :lol: :lol:
I don't own or carry guns anymore... and haven't had any situations since, where having a gun would have helped... :roll: :D jim
dery

Post by dery »

hellihooks wrote:My brother put a gun to my head once, cause I was gonna feed his wife's cat, that he didn't like, and didn't want fed. We were both doing tons of Meth at the time, and that was one of those 'rock bottom' moments that made me give up drugs... along with the lead pellet I was carrying in my forehead (right between the eyes) that I had acquired a week or two before, during a big fight I had started at a keg party. Took me like 2 years of sobriety, for the Doctor's to believe me enough (that someone had shot me tween the eyes... :roll: ) to cut the pellet out... :lol: :lol:
I don't own or carry guns anymore... and haven't had any situations since, where having a gun would have helped... :roll: :D jim
wow pb is toxic and how long did you go w/ that small game pellet in you???
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

2 years... but i didn't suffer hardly any dain bramage from it... :crazyeyes: jim
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

I have mixed feelings on the whole "carry" thing, but it's irrelevant now 'cause I live in Oz. I must admit, for awhile, I DID keep my little ole Glock .40 with me whenever hiking alone in the mountains of southern AZ. I guess I'm just glad a "situation" never arose - I wouldn't really know how I'd have reacted unless that actually happened.

Jim (hellihooks), your stories are endless, and your sense of humor keen. :D Wish I could have gone out in the field with you at some point.
*As a side note, you never know when that there lead poisoning is gonna take its toll... maybe it already has. :lol:
dery

Post by dery »

John Martin wrote:I have mixed feelings on the whole "carry" thing, but it's irrelevant now 'cause I live in Oz. I must admit, for awhile, I DID keep my little ole Glock .40 with me whenever hiking alone in the mountains of southern AZ. I guess I'm just glad a "situation" never arose - I wouldn't really know how I'd have reacted unless that actually happened.

Jim (hellihooks), your stories are endless, and your sense of humor keen. :D Wish I could have gone out in the field with you at some point.
*As a side note, you never know when that there lead poisoning is gonna take its toll... maybe it already has. :lol:
yeh my ex brother in law and sister in maricorpa are paranoid of havalinas in their county and carry a handgun at night, esp after one of the things chased her
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

John Martin wrote:I have mixed feelings on the whole "carry" thing, but it's irrelevant now 'cause I live in Oz. I must admit, for awhile, I DID keep my little ole Glock .40 with me whenever hiking alone in the mountains of southern AZ. I guess I'm just glad a "situation" never arose - I wouldn't really know how I'd have reacted unless that actually happened.

Back atcha... :thumb:
I appreciate the concern (from all) over me carrying a lead pellet in me for two years. perhaps I should clarify that it wasn't a little tiny piece of 'shot'... it was an actual lead pellet from a pellet gun... bout the size of a pencil eraser... more of a tin/lead alloy, I'd think, than pure lead. Anyways... if it killed a few brain cells... it must have just been the weak ones. :crazyeyes: :D jim