Do we want an Audio Lab (Herp Recording) forum?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Do we want an Audio Lab (Herp Recording Forum) on FHF?

Poll ended at August 16th, 2012, 9:16 am

Yes, I think we should have a separate Audio Lab to discuss recording herps.
96%
No, I think those technical discussions belong on the main Field Forum.
4%
No, I think those discussions are outside the scope of our general interests here on Fieldherpforum.com.
No votes

Total votes: 24

chrish

Do we want an Audio Lab (Herp Recording) forum?

Post by chrish »

Hey all,

As you may have read on the main forum (http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=12920) we are discussing the option of creating an Audio Lab similar to our current Image Lab.

Just as our Image Lab isn't a photo gallery, this new Audio Lab would be more than just a site with links to frog calls. It would be intended as a place to discuss the techniques and technology for recording amphibian calls and other herp sounds.

Here's an example of a post that would have been more appropriately posted on an Audio Lab forum - http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=11739

AFAIK, there is no other such resource or group on the internet with a focus on herp sounds.

With all the current interest in documentation of amphibian populations, this could be a mechanism to get more people involved in the process.

So please vote your opinions regarding whether we want this or not.
You can change your vote, but you can only choose one option.

Chris
Tom Lott

Re: Do we want an Audio Lab (Herp Recording) forum?

Post by Tom Lott »

I voted "yes" on this mainly because it interests me and I could certainly stand to improve my skills in this area. I am slightly concerned that it might be a bit too esoteric to generate enough traffic to justify its own forum, but I see no harm in undertaking the effort, at least on an experimental basis.

Other than Chris H., who has been entering a copious number of records in the NAFHA database with audio vouchers, how many other contributors are entering audio records?

Regardless, this is something that should be encouraged as an excellent method for accumulating data on a highly vulnerable group of herps. I am all for it.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I've entered a handful of audio vouchers, and got a county record for the database that way. I think the database alone would benefit by having more herpers recording audio in the field.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Tom Lott wrote:I voted "yes" on this mainly because it interests me and I could certainly stand to improve my skills in this area. I am slightly concerned that it might be a bit too esoteric to generate enough traffic to justify its own forum, but I see no harm in undertaking the effort, at least on an experimental basis.
Other than Chris H., who has been entering a copious number of records in the NAFHA database with audio vouchers, how many other contributors are entering audio records?
Regardless, this is something that should be encouraged as an excellent method for accumulating data on a highly vulnerable group of herps. I am all for it.
Thanks for supporting the idea, Tom.

I think we will have to take a wait and see attitude with the forum. If it is created and it doesn't get traffic, I say we close it down. I don't know what the threshold for "enough" traffic would be, but there is no point in keeping a dead forum alive.

In regard to audio vouchers, I collect them because:
1. they are easy to document with even the simplest of gear (easier than photos, for example)
2. they can be taken from private property without tresspassing (big here in Texas!)
3. you can find species that are difficult to find by any other method (Crawfish Frogs) or impossible to identify (e.g. Gray Treefrogs)
4. they represent something more than just a species presence in a region. They represent breeding.
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

I rely quite heavily on audio cues/recordings while in the field. This method of documenting species' presence is invaluable in the rainforest, especially when it comes to the canopy inhabitants. And this is coming from someone who spends a good deal of time connected to rope and harness in the canopy! Just because you can hear them and you're in the canopy, doesn't mean you can find them.

I'm all for this idea. I don't know how popular this forum would be, but the potential information exchange could far out-weigh its slow pace.

-Don
www.rainforestdon.com
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

I'm all for it....it certainly can't hurt.

A bit of contention though:
they represent something more than just a species presence in a region. They represent breeding.
I was under the impression that the calls represented lustful hope and not blissful success :lol:

Shane
chrish

Post by chrish »

Shane_TX wrote:I'm all for it....it certainly can't hurt.

A bit of contention though:
they represent something more than just a species presence in a region. They represent breeding.
I was under the impression that the calls represented lustful hope and not blissful success :lol:

Shane
Isn't that true for the males of all species? ;)
dery

Post by dery »

definitely!!! I'd love to learn to record audio and put it on the database :thumb:
justinm

Post by justinm »

I've submitted audio records in the past to our state herpetologist.
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Hello everyone,

I've been keeping you all in mind while in the field, and I've been making various audio recording of a few anuran species here in southwest Costa Rica. I did couple of glassfrog species, a few hylids, and various others. I hope to see this proposed forum come to light soon.

-Don
www.rainforestdon.com
chrish

Post by chrish »

Don,

Looks like the Audio Lab is off the table for the time being.

You might try uploading your audio files to somewhere like soundcloud.

I have a Frogs and Toads group there that needs members!

http://soundcloud.com/groups/frog-and-toad-calls
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I'll give it go when things settle down here in mid Oct. I'll also direct a colleague of mine there; he is working with bioacoustics and Allobates talamancae.

Thanks,

-Don
www.RainforestDon.com