Weekend trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

roosters977

Weekend trip

Post by roosters977 »

Thought I would do a report on my most recent trip. It was Sunday, they weather was great, and I found a lifer.

Here is some habitat shots. Where I found the lifer was different habitat then this, this is the area my Agkistrodon search has been ongoing.

For some reason this picture makes these boulders look so small. They are huge!

After flipping for a little bit and finding some redbacks, I came upon this rock. The plastic thing is something I found right next to the rock and used it for to put him in it for pictures.

I flipped it and found this guy

It was around 10:30 and 53 or 54 degrees. He was around 5 or 6 inches and was very cold, barley moving, but was still feisty!

Nice colors

Here he is going under his rock

It was a nice trip and the spot is just awesome.

Thanks
roosters977

Re: Weekend trip

Post by roosters977 »

Do not know how I forgot these. Here is another spot a little hike away

I have been to this spot twice, and seen this guy twice. He or she is not afraid of humans.

The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

*edited
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Congratulations on finding a lifer! Those boulders don't look small at all, btw. Great pics of the milksnake. The fox on the other hand, he wasn't skittish at all? Weird.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

beautiful little milk! i've still never seen one
roosters977

Post by roosters977 »

Thanks! Jake, that's awesome. I have yet to find one in PA. MC, no it is not skittish, he came within 10 feet of me and even when I stood up ( I was laying on a rock,haha) it just looked at me and carried on. Matt, keep looking you will find one eventually!
herper1

Post by herper1 »

Nice habitat, nice snake and nice pics. Good job ! Still looking for my lifer Milk. Like the fox also.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I was hoping for a milk snake this past Sunday, as they are my favorite, but didn't find one. We checked out a spot in MA known for Agkistrodon and possibly crotalus horridus, with terrain very similar to that in your photos, but it may be too late in the year and we may have not been in the right spot.
Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

Nice photos!! I have yet to find a milk snake myself. Definitely one of my target species for next year!
ugh

Post by ugh »

Jake man-
It's made plain on this site to not mention specific place names.
I know you're fairly new on this site but I also know you know better.
The sole reason I even view this site anymore is to keep an eye on people and the stupid or careless things they say and/or do.

I and many others keep an eye on you and what you post.Not targeting you, everyone here is watched.
It doesn't seem like a big deal but naming a specific tract or town or mountain or what have you- even a county name in many cases- does absolutely no good for the wild inhabitants of it in these days of microwave/lazy herpers scouring their free internet information. The potential harm of doing so is palpable however.
I and others will likely opt to make an example of you or anyone else doing this every time; every time I log on here it seems there's some newbie here so it's absolutely justifiable to discourage.
Naming locales is just a good habit to break, both online and when just yapping to someone in person.
Whether you realize/agree with this or not is irrelevant- it's against the rules here anyway.
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Ugh you are 100% correct. I edited my post. Although 52,000 acres is a pretty big area. :lol:

One question though- People are giving very detailed information about where to herp in the country of Belize. Why not make a post there asking for the same secrecy?

What is a microwave herper? That question might sound dumb, but I honestly don't know.