Advice on First Herping Adventure and other zonata questions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bradlyb

Advice on First Herping Adventure and other zonata questions

Post by bradlyb »

When I was a kid I had a Red-Tailed Boa and a Honduran Milksnake. Now, as an adult, I want to get back into the reptile world. I currently am going back to school and am planning on transferring to UC Santa Cruz for ecology and evolutionary biology. This seems like the perfect hobby.

I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks and have spent countless hours looking up information on California Kingsnakes. What I would really love to have is a Mountain Cali King, a Lampropeltis zonata.

I live in Monterey, so Santa Cruz is not very far to go to search for one of these amazing snakes.

Is it too late in the year to search for one? Any pointers on where to search? (Specific elevation and habitats?)

As a side note, for years I have collected Big Sur jade on the coast, and have advocated for people to not destroy the habitat on the coast in their search for these stones. I watched videos and read about the habitat destruction people have caused in looking for these snakes. I will not be one of those people.

Thanks all, and hopefully I will see some of you in Sacramento at the end of the month!
hellihooks

Re: Advice on First Herping Adventure and other zonata quest

Post by hellihooks »

If you're going to be attending SCU, and get in with the right guys (maybe do a little volunteering) ... good chance you may not need to collect one... http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... +give+away
Welcome to the forum... jim
bradlyb

Post by bradlyb »

Thanks for the welcome! I guess I am being too specific with my questions. While I would love any information on zonatas I would love to find any king. Since I live in a coastal region I am a little unsure on where to start. is this a good time to look? Is there a certain time of day? can I even find a coastal king near Monterey?
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

You HAVE TO pick up Brian Hubbs' book, Mountain Kings.

It will help you with not only locating zonata, but also help you get an idea of the "on and off" seasons for herping. I know it helped me a lot...

Zonata are found in Monterey, too.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Right now is a slow time of year, for bout all herps. Brian Hubbs has some 'how to' books on Mt Kings and Ca. Kings. Short of laying out boardlines right now (to be checked next spring) I'd find a road in the hills to cruise from dusk till 11 or 12... you might could see a baby king. :thumb: jim

Use the search engine to find threads on boardlines, ect... and you might want to give my 'locality release online' article a read... :thumb:
billboard

Post by billboard »

Not that slow if you know where to go though bro .
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Countless hours you say.. This z had 50 hours of pre scouting, and 7 full days of effort.. (Heck I had to build my own rock pile to find it)

The easy non fun way is to get someone to tell you. The thrilling way is to do it yourself..

Yes Kings are in your area..

Both can be found up there year around.. Sept is a good month..

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

billboard wrote:Not that slow if you know where to go though bro .
Yeah... last month was slow... starting to see neos this month...here in the DESERT... :shock: :lol: :lol: Not everone's lucky enough to live where you can see snakes bout year round... :| :)
I think what I was trying to say is this ain't the best time of year, by about half a year... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
bradlyb

Post by bradlyb »

Zach_Lim wrote:You HAVE TO pick up Brian Hubbs' book, Mountain Kings.

It will help you with not only locating zonata, but also help you get an idea of the "on and off" seasons for herping. I know it helped me a lot...

I saw the book on Amazon and will definitely be ordering it. After a quick search, Amazon seemed to be the only place that sells it. Is there anywhere else, or is the $50 price tag accurate?
hellihooks wrote:Right now is a slow time of year, for bout all herps. Brian Hubbs has some 'how to' books on Mt Kings and Ca. Kings. Short of laying out boardlines right now (to be checked next spring) I'd find a road in the hills to cruise from dusk till 11 or 12... you might could see a baby king. :thumb: jim

Use the search engine to find threads on boardlines, ect... and you might want to give my 'locality release online' article a read... :thumb:
Great post, thank you for referencing me to it.

On Tuesday I scouted some of the few rural roads in my area. One seemed promising, I spotted an owl and fox on the short 8 mile drive. Ill be going out there again tonight. I don't expect any Zonata, but I would be thrilled to find anything.
Fundad wrote:Countless hours you say.. This z had 50 hours of pre scouting, and 7 full days of effort.. (Heck I had to build my own rock pile to find it)

The easy non fun way is to get someone to tell you. The thrilling way is to do it yourself..

Yes Kings are in your area..

Both can be found up there year around.. Sept is a good month..

Fundad
Amazing shots! Thanks for that inspiration.

I wasn't really expecting any GPS coordinates :lol: , just any pointers for a noobie. I scouted a local park yesterday, yet there are absolutely ZERO rock piles. I did see this though:

Seemed slightly promising to me.

Habitat shot:

Thanks for all of the responses. I am excited to be here and hope that I can eventually help contribute to this awesome community.
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

If you're interested in the kingsnake books, contact Brian Hubbs on Facebook--he'll cut you deal if you order both. I have, in the past few months, picked up both and can say that the information within them is priceless; they are eye opening and riveting pieces of literature.

Everything you could ever want to know about lampropeltis is contained in those pages.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I refuse to read those books, and prefer to learn stuff on my own. MUCH more rewarding that way, when you do find your target.
When you get skunked... you learn just as much as when you find herps, and knowing what won't help find herps is as important as knowing what will. Additionally... you actually learn much more about herping in general, being self taught... for instance, when teaching myself how to flip for rosys (optimal conditions)...I found no rosys that day... but flipped 8 gilberts skinks in 40 min... so NOW I know the optimal conditions, and locale, to see Gilberti... :thumb:

To each his own... but I have much more respect for someone who does the work himself, rather than rely on a 'Herping for Dummies' book. :roll: jim
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

hellihooks wrote:To each his own... but I have much more respect for someone who does the work himself, rather than rely on a 'Herping for Dummies' book. :roll: jim
I guess I'm just a dummy that likes books and herping. In any case, I only herp to satisfy my own personal desire to experience these animals in their natural habitat--I'll always use texts, forum posts, and information gleaned from my friends that share my interests to better my own knowledge. I've definitely spent my fair share of time figuring things out on my own--with equal success and failure. Augmenting my instincts and experiential knowledge through the various resources available to this community makes sense for me and has enhanced my joy when out in th field.

Different strokes for different folks. :thumb:
Luke-
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... I didn't mean to sound harsh. I've been 'self-taught' all my life... with mixed results, (like crote bites... :roll: ) but say... in the case of Z's... it's become a personal challenge to flip one, by LEARNING how to do it, myself. Call it a matter of pride.
3 years ago, I found the perfect outcrop... 0ver the following 2 years I narrowed the season/conditions/time of day. Next spring I Will flip one... :D When talking Z to fellow herpers/friends... I tell them... DO NOT mention any spots, cause I'll never go to a spot 'given' to me... I can figure out 'where' on my own.

So yeah... for ME... the books would be compromising the standards I've set for myself, which would forever tarnish the experience of flipping my 1st Z.

a LOT of seasoned herpers will agree with me, on this, and I can say for them and me... think long and hard about the help you accept...you'll thank us in the future... Jim
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Jim,

I totally get where you're coming from--nothing comes close to developing your own location, spending time to unlock its secrets, and, hopefully being rewarded with finding your target species. I spend the majority of my field time, especially this dry summer, scouting new places, looking for specific terrain features, and plotting my approach for next season.

I, too, hope to find my first Z soon. In the meantime I'd settle for any flavor of aquatic garter, as those are very abundant up here, though I have yet to be graced by their presence, and not for lack of trying.

Luke-
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... I still have quite a few garters I have yet to see, most prominent being the one named after your hometown... :crazyeyes: :D jim
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Zach_Lim wrote:You HAVE TO pick up Brian Hubbs' book, Mountain Kings.

I second that. GREAT book. If you have any interest in Kings or anything Lampropeltis, get that book.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

These books are more than just 'How to" texts. He covers natural history,habits, habitat, and relays some very good stories along the way. I say two thumbs up.

Lawrence
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Calfirecap wrote:These books are more than just 'How to" texts. He covers natural history,habits, habitat, and relays some very good stories along the way. I say two thumbs up.

Lawrence
Couldn't have said it better. Brian's stories are probably the best part of the book. Very detailed and fun to read accounts of herping...I mean, that IS why we are on this forum, right? Haha!

Found a piece of zonata shed recently (few months back) in Santa Cruz...wish it was the whole snake, but at least I now know where to look! Just get out into the field where you think is a good area, and start looking. Make sure to place everything back the way you found it, though.

The breeding pair of zonata and the getula were all found within the Santa Cruz mountains.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm not saying I'll never read Hubbs's books... just a matter of pride that I figure Mt Kings out, on my own. Kingsnakes... I know already. :D jim

Zack... is that the King you found on the 9?
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Jim Helli-
Yup, off Hwy 9.

Edit: t'was a pretty king...did not expect it in the heart of zonata country.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

As I mentioned before, my son Jahred had his juvie desert king escape from right off the 9 in the Santa Cruz Mts. How common are Ca Kings in that area? :?: jim
NOT saying he/I/we want (or deserve) it back... just saying your SC king MIGHT be a desert king... good find... :lol: :lol: :lol:
hows that?
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Really? Maybe you should add gps and post it?

UGH.. Frustrating
Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Fundad wrote:Really? Maybe you should add gps and post it?

UGH.. Frustrating
Fundad
It was not released on purpose, and I've mentioned this before. Sylvan rd/Hgh 9 (6 mi outside of BC) is pretty precise. and yes... frustrating AND embarrassing. :oops: Don't think I haven't Searched HARD for it... :roll: jim
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I have no idea what your talking about Jim?

All I see is "your" reference to the location, please remove it. Thank you

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Oh... ok. if you read the few previous replies, you'll see the the given locality info is in regard to an escaped non-local king... which Ideally needs to be found, if Zack didn't find it already.
I though your "Ugh" was in response to the king escaping, not the locality info. A 'Lost Pet' sign would be pretty stupid, without saying WHERE the pet was lost, so the locality info is justified.

Hopefully I can find an old pic of the king that escaped and we can confirm that it is the one that Zack found. I hope it is... so I can stop looking for it... :roll: jim
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Cal Kings can be found in that general area, they are just not frequently encountered. Also, mostly private property which is not available for Herping. My bet is that it was a native. We also don't know, nor should we, just where Zach found his.

Lawrence
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Jim Helli- I doubt it was your king, unfortunately (fortunately?). This was found at a very, VERY high elevation, quite far away from Sylvan road (I quickly looked up Sylvan on Google Maps). There are California Kings in the area, but harder to find (from what I have grasps from talking with other herpers)- Tim Spuckler and Lou Boyer are two guys that have found getula and/or sheds in the area.

The king was found on private property, underneath a trash board on Oct 1st, 2011. Probably a yearling (?) at about 20inches long. In the area I also found a getula shed.

I was very surprised to find getula there. I was thrilled it was my lifer getula (I could have easily gone to different areas where I know getula are for sure from childhood sightings) in an area I did not expect them- total zonata habitat; high elevation, pine/oak clearing with grassy fields and rock outcroppings, tons of lizards, etc.

I agree with Lawrence that it was completely native.

All this king talk is making me want to hit the field for them. I've been focusing so much on garters as of late that I miss my shiny-scaled friends.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Cal kings have been found up there.

PLEASE remove location comments.

Thank You...

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You mean the locality info that says where my SON lives... just the cross street... or should we pretend there's not a highway running through those mts? Can I mention Boulder Creek? Santa Cruz? The Mt Range? Let me get this straight... not only can we not be too specific about where Herps live... now we can't say where PEOPLE live? :shock: Whatever.

Sieg Heil... :roll:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

hellihooks wrote:You mean the locality info that says where my SON lives... just the cross street... or should we pretend there's not a highway running through those mts? Can I mention Boulder Creek? Santa Cruz? The Mt Range? Let me get this straight... not only can we not be too specific about where Herps live... now we can't say where PEOPLE live? :shock: Whatever.

Sieg Heil... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I am familiar with that area, and your son is LUCKY to live in such a remote and sparsely populated area and you should be proud of his accomplishment of that..

If you want to give the address and location of where your son lives no one will complain, if you want to send people to the location
you posted to find a king, then that is something different all together.

I received a phone call regarding your locality info.

Thank you for your understanding of the forum rules and policies, it is greatly appreciated.

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I posted the (somewhat) precise locality to say where a snake, that SHOULDN'T be there... was LOST... not found. So if someone finds a king in that area, that looks suspiciously like a desert king... post it, or pm me. It weighs heavily on me, that my actions, (giving my son the snake) might contribute to polluting a local genetic pool.

BTW... my son's landloard, who had a habit of driving WAY to fast, on those roads, went off a cliff the other day, and is not expected to live. Speed Kills, guys... especially in those mts... from what I understand, several people a year die on those roads... :shock: Safety 1st... the herps will probably still be there, 5 min later... :thumb: jim

Edit... he died this morning. shame...he was a nice guy, who loved to see herps we would find on his property... :(
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

hellihooks wrote:I posted the (somewhat) precise locality to say where a snake, that SHOULDN'T be there... was LOST... not found. So if someone finds a king in that area, that looks suspiciously like a desert king... post it, or pm me. It weighs heavily on me, that my actions, (giving my son the snake) might contribute to polluting a local genetic pool.

BTW... my son's landloard, who had a habit of driving WAY to fast, on those roads, went off a cliff the other day, and is not expected to live. Speed Kills, guys... especially in those mts... from what I understand, several people a year die on those roads... :shock: Safety 1st... the herps will probably still be there, 5 min later... :thumb: jim

Edit... he died this morning. shame...he was a nice guy, who loved to see herps we would find on his property... :(
Sorry to hear about your loss, Jim.

How long ago did the kingsnake escape? Although snakes are masters at finding shelter and being safe, there are plenty of predators in the SC mountains that would love to snap up an out of place Getula (coyotes, bobcats, weasels, hawks, herpers [lol]). On the other hand, it may be quite a surprise next time I am down that way and stumble on some odd-colored, "desert-mountain" phase getulas haha.

Wasn't there a rumor or actual truth about someone releasing Calkings at the now bulldozed spot in the SC mountains? The horror...the horror...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

About a year ago... and yeah... plenty of raccoon round there. The only snakes I've ever seen there are Forest Sharptails, under stuff too heavy for a raccoon to flip... :roll: But I look for that King every time I'm there, on the off chance I'll find it. Problem is, the area is residential private property for miles around, and not herpable. I'd settle for it being found dor, on a road, to never knowing... :roll:

As for the guy who died... it's sad, but frankly... I always figured it was just a matter of time... the way he drove... :roll: I'm just glad he didn't take anyone with him... :roll: jim
Mr. Woolery

Post by Mr. Woolery »

Stebbins guide and google.. The answers you seek are out there!
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Guys,

Zonata and getula are sympatric throughout nearly every inch of the Santa Cruz Mtns. They can turn up ANYWHERE there. I have spent over 20 years herping that range and I would not be surprised to find either anywhere in the range. lf a Cal king was released, it is not a big deal--it will live or die. It may interbreed with the native Cal kings, but so what? There is nothing particularly unique about the g's in the SCMs. Obiously it would be nice if it hadn't escaped, but it's nothing to lose sleep over. As has been stated in the past, z's and g's are NOT mutually exclusive. I will say that you are much more likely to find a z than a g in most areas of the range, but the further inland you go, the more common the g's get. I have seen g's in the heart of the deepest, coolest redwood canyons, however. I have flipped night snakes within a few miles of the ocean there as well.

Cheers,

FH
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Fieldherper-
Very interesting observations. I was under the impression that zonata and getula ranges do overlap within the Santa Cruz mountain range, but not with much frequency. You say that they are present in almost every inch of the range- have you found in within the SC coastal range (west of 280) in San Mateo county? I know they are quite common east of 280, but have not really heard of any king sightings west of the highway, with the exception of mountain kings.

I take it you mean moist as in the coastal side of the mountain range, with the drier being the east side?

And night snakes near the ocean! That's awesome!
bradlyb

Post by bradlyb »

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. After doing some research (which we all know the information on this species is limited online) I stumbled across information about Zonata on a scientific literature database. After looking quite a bit in a local spot, which was mentioned in two papers, I continued to ask friends about Z's in the Santa Lucia Mountain range.

What I found, while reading these papers, is that there is a lack of information about zonata in this area. The terrain is difficult, and from what I can see, there is a lack of good habitat. I am making it my mission to find good Z spots in this area.

And, I think I found it:

There are rock outcrops all over this area. Semi-easy to access, and eye-witness reports of abundant Z's.

My favorite part is looking only about 20 degrees to the west:

I love it.

While searching this area tonight, I found my first Monterey Ring-Neck:

I am definitely falling in love with this hobby.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I see your hunting in Sandals.. FYI there are Rattlesnakes in that area..

Fundad
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Handsome Diadophis. I remember finding one in Monterey when I was a kid...wish I took a voucher as that would have been a lifer!

The terrain you have found looks very fun to herp. Try walking around in the early morning or in the later afternoon.

And, as Fundad mentioned, there are Crotes there....be very careful. At times you don't see them until they are literally a hand's grasp away.
Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer »

Try finding boardlines that other people have set up and then hit them three times a week. That's how we do things around here.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Try finding boardlines that other people have set up and then hit them three times a week. That's how we do things around here.

:lol: :lol: :crazyeyes: :lol: Thats too funny..

Fundad
bradlyb

Post by bradlyb »

Fundad wrote:I see your hunting in Sandals.. FYI there are Rattlesnakes in that area..

Fundad
Not sure where Sandals is, but this is not it. Pretty isolated location which I am sure few herpers go. Its over an hour south of Big Sur, in the middle of nowhere and one of many dirt roads which heads inland.

I am pretty stoked on the Monterey Ringed-Neck, and expect to find a Z. up there in the future.

I also know for a fact there are rattlers up there. I haven't been in this specific area, but have seen many in the surrounding hillsides. I saw two this year, before I even considered myself a herper.

One time was pretty scary, in early spring this year.... I was with my wife, daughter, and a friend on a picknick. My daughter (who is only 2) was right in the path of a baby rattler. Thank god my friend saw it in time and grabbed her up.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I think fundad meant your foot wear :thumb:

Keep at it. You will find snakes--and even if it is not your target, you will learn a lot about herping.

If you can, you may want to try laying down some artificial cover (aka start a boardline). Just find some spots you think will be promising (around rock outcrops, over rodent burrows, etc) and lay some wooden boards, tin, anything really that can prove itself as a hiding spot for herps.

Just checked a couple of mine and things are starting to turn up...
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Jim wrote:
I refuse to read those books, and prefer to learn stuff on my own. MUCH more rewarding that way, when you do find your target.
When you get skunked... you learn just as much as when you find herps, and knowing what won't help find herps is as important as knowing what will. Additionally... you actually learn much more about herping in general, being self taught... for instance, when teaching myself how to flip for rosys (optimal conditions)...I found no rosys that day... but flipped 8 gilberts skinks in 40 min... so NOW I know the optimal conditions, and locale, to see Gilberti... :thumb:
And THAT is why you will never understand all the fine points of zonata or Cal Kings. You know so little it's amusing...but do keep trying to figure it out on your own. I only wrote those books for the serious herper. I even withheld some good info from both books. I just can't bring myself to tell it all... :lol: But those who read, and try what is suggested, and also think on their own, will probably discover the rest for themselves eventually. However, most people never learn how to think outside their preconceived ideas... :o

Fieldherper: I have never seen a getula west of Skyline bl. in San Mateo county. I know someone who recently found 4 sheds of juveniles a little west of the road, but this is a first that I am aware of. If you can pull one off the coastal side of the mtns I would be very impressed. They seem to be absent from there.
bradlyb

Post by bradlyb »

Zach_Lim wrote:I think fundad meant your foot wear :thumb:

Keep at it. You will find snakes--and even if it is not your target, you will learn a lot about herping.

If you can, you may want to try laying down some artificial cover (aka start a boardline). Just find some spots you think will be promising (around rock outcrops, over rodent burrows, etc) and lay some wooden boards, tin, anything really that can prove itself as a hiding spot for herps.

Just checked a couple of mine and things are starting to turn up...
Lol! Yah, I wear those on 50 mile backpacking trips, not going to stop now. Though I do have a pair of fine leather gloves to flip rocks with ;)
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You also need a good straight (not curved) claw hammer from Wal-Mart like the one a very young Chad Whitney is holding in this pic:

Use it to lift the rocks. More better and less chance of getting bit.

dery

Post by dery »

Fundad wrote:I see your hunting in Sandals.. FYI there are Rattlesnakes in that area..

Fundad
every time i herp w/ someone wearing sandles and/or shorts, i get uncomfortable. to me its a walking timebomb for me too.you might miss a venomous animal and step on it(we all missed a thing or two at the 2012 meeting). :roll:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

every time i herp w/ someone wearing sandles and/or shorts, i get uncomfortable. to me its a walking timebomb for me too.you might miss a venomous animal and step on it(we all missed a thing or two at the 2012 meeting). :roll:
Oh Yeah agreed.. I have been hit in the boot and pant leg on several occasions... One can not Get into the zone without risking it.. Now you could walk trails and "hope" to spot something, but if one wants to score consistently they have to get into the brush were the snakes are..

Herping in sandals is NOT advised EVER, it's only a matter of time, 1 year/5 years/10 years (you will get bit sooner or later).. I wouldn't herp with someone in them, unless we were road cruising or walking a creek.. I would feel responsible..

Fundad
ramblon

Post by ramblon »

Exaaactly...