Never saw this posted here......NE chapter's demise ?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ugh

Never saw this posted here......NE chapter's demise ?

Post by ugh »

Didn't see this posted here by the president or anyone-I dunno maybe I missed it
Found it in another chapter as notification to the group as 'must read' material......

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=13986
spinifer

Re: Never saw this posted here......NE chapter's demise ?

Post by spinifer »

Its the very first post in every chapter forum....not sure why people dont notice it. It is under the "Announcements" section, which is just above "Topics", where this post is located.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Nothing has been made official on the direction this will take yet either. When the time comes, I will post about it. Until then, like spinifer said, if people want to get involved in the discussion, its been in the announcement section the whole time.

Once Scott makes an official announcement of how he wishes his forum to proceed, we will move forward.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Dude, get on board, :lol: Scott posted his decision a few days ago.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yes, I know. But I am waiting to talk to him on the phone. This probably won't happen today.
ugh

Post by ugh »

Ah I just say let it go man, it's probably for the better Bob
Just curious what are you tryin' to do, talk him out of it or something?
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Actually, not at all. I'm actually thrilled with his compromise. I just have some things we've been meaning to talk about anyway, and I want to see how he is going to handle moderation and such here. Just issues that I want to make sure I fully understand going forward so I know how to steer members here.

Besides, I've spent some time talking to him and he is really full of great ideas and insight... and is intense as hell. He put out his offer to talk, so its definitely overdo for me. That's all.

I figured after a discussion with him, I'd know how to announce the changes to the members here and what to expect OR if he was the one that was going to do it.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I've just been waiting to hear the final word because I'm having trouble following that thread. Plus, I've only been here a couple of months so really don't feel as though I could provide any input.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:I've just been waiting to hear the final word because I'm having trouble following that thread. Plus, I've only been here a couple of months so really don't feel as though I could provide any input.
Just keep adding to the database. And when you construct a post here, copy and paste it to the FHF page.

We were asked to post in both spots about a year ago...
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

kyle loucks wrote:
Just keep adding to the database. And when you construct a post here, copy and paste it to the FHF page.

We were asked to post in both spots about a year ago...
Now I'm really confused.

What am I supposed to post both here and on the FHF page? When I start a thread, or is this about my general thoughts on the changes, and, if the latter, where should I be posting those?

The database is fine; I'm clear on that and will keep adding as long as I have things to add. I'm still hoping to get caught up on this year by the end of December, and I should be able to. I should be able to get some historic (pre-2012) records of importance in before the season gets in full swing next spring.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

yes, photo posts you initiate. And thanks for adding to the db.
ugh

Post by ugh »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:I've just been waiting to hear the final word because I'm having trouble following that thread. Plus, I've only been here a couple of months so really don't feel as though I could provide any input.

Ah I wouldn’t hesitate to add your input. This site is pretty much a free for all, people use this site however they see fit, for better or for worse; hopefully it’s not too much of a blatant exploitation of the herps. But we here all get some sort of personal gain or satisfaction from whatever capacity we play/work with these animals. In the best cases, the animals get something back from some of us in return. That’s something that takes real perspective to see whether or not they are getting something tangible in return from any of us, it’s easy to kid one’s self about that too to justify one’s actions.

Come on here worrying too much about gaining peoples' approval or to make friends and you'd be wasting your time; I'd suggest keeping the herps' best interest as paramount and you'll likely make the kind of friends you want while weeding out the BS'ers anyway.

There are some suggestions by the ‘elected position holders’ but no one has to do anything they don’t want.
Now that the subchapters are getting squashed no one really has even the right to suggest any obligation to submitting records as a nafha member anyway because it will just go back to being a general forum, i.e. without any obligation to nafha in the first place.. I don’t usually submit records these days and don’t think its cool to try to push that on any newcomers too much anyway and now really it will be somewhat uncalled for altogether I suppose. And that’s fine despite how much some more gung-ho follks here may bitch about it. Their ‘hearts in the right place’ and in some cases it can be actually warranted….. Am I wrong here? If so explain how someone.
The database is a nice concept, not bad, but the pressuring to submit is over the line with the loss of these nafha subchapters. This is now back to being just a forum to post/browse pics and glean info off....Right?

Remember there’s no way to monitor who looks at the forum, nor control how what they see here is used and there’s way more lurkers that go unseen then there is registered users. I'm not talking about submitted records here but just your everyday post on the forum.

I should add that the ‘elected position holders’ here are usually extremely helpful, fair, and dedicated for the most part.
I respect their dedication and what I'm saying here is not meant to be inflammatory but I suspect it will piss some people off because it's just not what they like to hear. But a handful of individuals here are what I would call unrealistic or borderline dillusional in their opinion of how much can be done by submitting records to a database; this is something we just agree to disagree on and there's no sense on arguing back and forth about it- but I'm just stating my point of view based on my experience in multiple states in our NE region. Some members may have had different experiences- not saying they haven't. Herp databases are largely a non-factor to the agencies in charge of making the laws that protect our herps. Sucks but it's just the way it is right now. Most states in our region dont even pay attention to it because largely, herps are just not a priority to protect. Thankfully there are exceptions and changing this is a slow and thankless process, but certainly not a lost cause....This should be considered by anyone before they decide to submit their personal finds to a database.

Just read the guidelines of using this site, regulations or what not and have at it. If you’re out of line someone will tell you. Hell the whole reason I look at this site-100%- is to keep an eye on what other herpers are doing, especially in areas I go and if they’re doing something ignorant they hear from me. I’ve had to do it several times in many ways here- perfectly within my rights. And if I’m not, someone will tell me and we can work it out form there....Simple huh?
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Now that the subchapters are getting squashed

They aren't getting squashed. They are staying, and we are now being asked to copy any field posts and also post them on the main forum. Things will stay the same.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

For any confusion Ugh's post may have caused, Mike is right. Please read my post here if you haven't already:

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=14163

Ugh has been deactivated. Not just for this issue. To be transparent, I spoke with Scott about moderation within NAFHA chapters as we move forward. It concerned me that within a NAFHA forum, a nonmember can consistently bash or speak in opposition to what we do. I am not one to limit free speech, but as I said... This is a NAFHA forum and nonmembers who have no interest in what we are trying to do, other than undoing what we try to do, will hopefully be moderated going forward.

Scott will be taking over sole moderation soon, but I will work closely with him to make sure our efforts here are not subject to mockery or nay-sayers. There is a perfectly good "main" forum for that now if someone wishes to voice his/her opinion. Moving forward, I hope the days are over where our intentions are interrupted by people who have nothing to do with NAFHA.

If you are a member, look for a post from me in the next day or two in the Members Only Forum regarding an idea Scott and I discussed. I would like to bring it up to the general membership. I will post a link when I can write it up.

Sincerely,
Bob