the gadsden flag

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

muskiemagnet

the gadsden flag

Post by muskiemagnet »

sweet-ass birthday present. i'm impressed for 35 bones. all cotton. embroidered. reads properly on both sides.

might be time to put it outside if our silly government doesn't grow the hell up.

now it's time for my family christmas. food, beer, bon fire, and fireworks for the kids. it's snowing out right now, and it will be a perfect night.

-ben
Daryl Eby

Re: the gadsden flag

Post by Daryl Eby »

I do love that flag. I just regret that it has been co-opted by the Tea-Party. If you support the Tea-Party, let it fly. If not, be prepared that many may see it and assume you are a Tea-Partier.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

did not know that. thanks. i wouldn't fly it outside. unless things got really bad, then i'd fly an inverted us flag with this one underneath.

-ben
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

muskiemagnet wrote:did not know that. thanks. i wouldn't fly it outside. unless things got really bad, then i'd fly an inverted us flag with this one underneath.

-ben
If you really feel like letting it fly if the government doesn't grow the hell up, then you could easily be a tea party member yourself. It isn't a bad thing just because of a well run media campaign to make it so unpopular. :)
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Just know that "displaying the gadsen" is on the MIAC list for suspicious activities that may point to domestic terrorism. Having a Ron Paul bumper stick is another.

That being said, don't be afraid to let it fly!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I have this in shirt form. I bought it to wear when herping, specifically for collared lizards, because I heard the yellow brings out territorial behavior in the males.

It has also prevented innumerable people from stepping on me.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

chad ks wrote:
muskiemagnet wrote:did not know that. thanks. i wouldn't fly it outside. unless things got really bad, then i'd fly an inverted us flag with this one underneath.

-ben
If you really feel like letting it fly if the government doesn't grow the hell up, then you could easily be a tea party member yourself. It isn't a bad thing just because of a well run media campaign to make it so unpopular. :)
interesting way to put it.
Mike VanValen wrote:Just know that "displaying the gadsen" is on the MIAC list for suspicious activities that may point to domestic terrorism. Having a Ron Paul bumper stick is another.

i've been sort of bored lately, maybe i'll give it a whirl. is that what they are calling pissed off americans these days? they went from patriots to domestic terrorists. disappointing.
chris_mcmartin wrote:It has also prevented innumerable people from stepping on me.
:D :D :D

-ben
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

My girlfriend used the flag as inspiration for a bumpersticker she had made for me, after having to endure one too many screeching curbside stops as I ran back to rescue a bungee cord trying to cross the road:

Myopic Herper's Bumpersticker by J. Maughn, on Flickr

JimM
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

very cool jim.

-ben
gbin

Post by gbin »

Daryl Eby wrote:I do love that flag. I just regret that it has been co-opted by the Tea-Party. If you support the Tea-Party, let it fly. If not, be prepared that many may see it and assume you are a Tea-Partier.
I didn't know that, either. What a shame! It's still a cool flag, Ben.

Gerry
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Image
That is awesome. We call them "snicks" and "snopes".

John
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

JAMAUGHN wrote:My girlfriend used the flag as inspiration for a bumpersticker she had made for me, after having to endure one too many screeching curbside stops as I ran back to rescue a bungee cord trying to cross the road:

Myopic Herper's Bumpersticker by J. Maughn, on Flickr

JimM
LOL! I want that and I don't even have a car
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

It is a shame, I usually see this flag flown with Confederate flags.
dery

Post by dery »

ThatFrogGuy wrote:It is a shame, I usually see this flag flown with Confederate flags.
Ha, that and the tea party.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Mike VanValen wrote:Just know that "displaying the gadsen" is on the MIAC list for suspicious activities that may point to domestic terrorism. Having a Ron Paul bumper stick is another.

You know how violent those Gadsen flag-flyin' Ron Paul supporters can be with all their talk about not undertaking wars of aggression, living within your means and all that liberty crap :thumb:
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

I used to think that flag was really awesome when I was a little kid (because it had a snake on it obviously). Nowadays, let's just say I don't care for it much.

There's a house in my neighborhood that is always flying this flag, or some variation of it. Now they have a flag with a tree on it, no idea what the hell that means (Cedar of Lebanon maybe???). People and their flags :crazyeyes:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:I used to think that flag was really awesome when I was a little kid (because it had a snake on it obviously).
That's PRECISELY why I'd fly one.
Nowadays, let's just say I don't care for it much.
Why not? Read the Benjamin Franklin quote. I wouldn't take it as emblematic of the Tea Party; I consider that so-called "party" to be too incoherent/disorganized to legitimately co-opt that flag as their symbol. :P
There's a house in my neighborhood that is always flying this flag, or some variation of it. Now they have a flag with a tree on it, no idea what the hell that means (Cedar of Lebanon maybe???). People and their flags :crazyeyes:
Anything like this one, from the American Revolution?

All the houses in our area have two flag pole holders, one on each side of the porch. Within reason, you can fly pretty much whatever flag you want. My house has the US flag and Texas flag (see my location). Others have collegiate flags and home-state flags. A couple have the Gadsden flag. I doubt they're extremists of any sort; they're more likely history buffs, flying it in the spirit its designers intended, or just think it's a cool flag.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Yeah, that's the same tree flag!

I actually have nothing against the "don't tread on me" flag, I just don't agree with the political views of the people who have co-opted it recently (just my personal view, not trying to start a flame war or anything).
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:I actually have nothing against the "don't tread on me" flag, I just don't agree with the political views of the people who have co-opted it recently (just my personal view, not trying to start a flame war or anything).

The same could be said of the rainbow flag--used to be known as the wiphala of the South American indigenous people (technically, it still is, but is more commonly associated at least in the US with a different sort of movement). Or hey, maybe someone who just had cataract surgery wants to fly one to appreciate all the colors; background story be damned!

I'd fly a Gadsden flag, simply because everyone around here who knows me knows I'm into reptiles and would "get it."
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Related/on-topic fun fact: be careful where you get your Gadsden flag/shirt/paraphernalia from; the original design is grammatically incorrect in omitting the apostrophe from "DON'T;" some modern versions available for sale include the apostrophe but then are historically incorrect. [/pedant]
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I decided years ago that when I finally man-up and get a tattoo I'm getting the timber from the Gadsden flag (no words with it, just the pose of the snake). Its adoption by the Tea Party has since put these plans on hold, but who knows, now that there is less media on the Tea Party people may not see the connection.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

go chris go!!!!

flying this flag would have nothing to do with whoever has co-opted it. it would be flown for one reason only. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS CROSSED LINES IT SHOULD NOT HAVE, AND IT IS TIME TO SHOW THEM WHERE THE TRUE POWER LIES, AND THIS POWER LIES WITH THE PEOPLE.

the benjamin franklin quote was mentioned, and this quote is the whole reason for flying the flag.

"I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids. She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shown and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal. Conscious of this, she never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.

Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America? "

dang, the revolution may start here. :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm joking. i just wanted to show off a cool flag.

-ben
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

muskiemagnet wrote:i just wanted to show off a cool flag.
I think it was Sigmund Freud who said, "Sometimes a snake flag is just a snake flag."

:P :beer:
gbin

Post by gbin »

:thumb:

Gerry