Little help with ID on this one from Brazil?

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rothdigga

Little help with ID on this one from Brazil?

Post by Rothdigga »

I saw this large raptor land while at Iguazu Falls in Brazil. It had HUGE talons, so I was trying to ID it as an Eagle but can't find anything looking like a match.
This photo is 100% cropped, I was way far away.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ID's
ID's as a Peregrine Falcon-

Just to spice it up, here's a few more birds from down there as well as my trip to Belize that I posted in the main forum post...
BRAZIL-
Piping Guan

Toco Toucan with a branch ruining my shot

Plush-crested Jay

BELIZE
Summer Tanager

Yellow-winged Tanager
Olive-backed Euphonia
Crimson King

Re: Little help with ID on this one from Brazil?

Post by Crimson King »

falcon looks kinda "peregrine-ish"...:)

I dunno.

:Mark
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

I initially thought that, but it was WAY too big to be a Peregrine I thought. Maybe my perception was distorted because of how far away it was.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

It's a Peregrine.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Thanks Andy. Man, it just looked so big.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

i agree with peregrine. the second bird you dont have the ID of is a plush crested jay. idk about the last two
monklet

Post by monklet »

The "Scarlet Tanager" is not, but pretty sure it's Summer or possibly Hepatic. Definitely a Peregrine. Remember that judging relative size with no objective comparison is difficult and the perception may be smaller or larger depending on a variety of factors.

Looks like some really fun birding! :beer:
chrish

Post by chrish »

Awesome birds and photos.

A few IDs

- clearly a Peregrine.
- your toucan is a Toco Toucan, I believe. Keel-billed doesn't get into Brazil and has a yellow throat.
- tanager is probably Summer. The only solid red tanagers in Belize are Summer or Hepatic. That's Summer, IMHO. Photo looks a bit over saturated.
- the last two birds are a Yellow-winged Tanager and a male Olive-backed Euphonia.
Matt Buckingham

Post by Matt Buckingham »

Cool shots. I lived in the Argentine side of Iguazu for a year, researching the bird communities for my Master's. Black-fronted Piping Guans are easy to see in the area, but they have a small range and are generally rare throughout it.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

I knew Chrish would come through with the correct ID's. You're pretty on point with the avian questions, thanks.
Funny about the over-saturation photo. It was dark-ish and that was as good as I could correct it.
Thanks.
Jason
chrish

Post by chrish »

Rothdigga wrote:I knew Chrish would come through with the correct ID's. You're pretty on point with the avian questions,
Well, to be honest, here was my thought process....

Toucan - "Keel-billed" doesn't have a white throat. Might be the South American White-throated Toucan, but I looked it up and was wrong.
Tanager - nothing is that solid intense red color (except maybe red warbler from mexico). Had to be a lighting issue. This is the ID that still has be wondering though. I feel like there "should be" a bright red tanager like that in Central America. There isn't, but there should be! I propose we call it Vermillion Tanager and leave it at that. :lol:
Yellow-winged - I looked at that and thought "I've seen that bird dozens of times in southern MX and can't for the life of me remember its name" :oops: , so I looked it up.
Same thing with the Euphonia, although I knew I had only seen it once or twice before. I remembered the strange combination of rufous belly and olive breast band. In your photo the yellow forehead seems to stand out more than it should. Just a funny angle I guess. I did have to dig out my Mexican bird book though.
I looked at the Yellow-winged and thought