Canon EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Lens

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Canon EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Lens

Post by Biker Dave »

Any one have a spare Canon EF-S 18 - 55 IS II lens they would like to get rid of?
I'll pay a reasonable fee if you prefer.

I can't afford a "gooder" lens at the moment.

I discovered this lens sounds amazingly like a empty plastic water bottle when it is run over by a truck tire!

Thanks

Dave
justinm

Re: Canon EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Lens

Post by justinm »

Is this the standard "kit" lens? If so I should think that you can get one pretty easily. Mine makes my camera screen turn solid red when I connect it to the camera. I can send you that one, with no guarantee it won't act the same to you?
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Biker Dave wrote: I discovered this lens sounds amazingly like a empty plastic water bottle when it is run over by a truck tire!

Dave
Wow. I kind of want to hear the story and at the same time DON'T want to hear the story. Either way I cringed when I heard this.
I did throw my $1500 100-400mm lens down a steep cliff in Costa Rica once (along with my 24-105mm) when I didn't realize my bag was open and I flung it onto my back. Thankfully I never heard any sounds of the crunching as the photo gods were kind enough to give my lenses soft landings between trees.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

justinm
Yup. Standard kit lens. pm me with specifics. At worst I can see if something may be wrong with your camera by checking it on mine!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I was out with friends doing some road cruising. I forgot that I had my "short" lens in a "protective" padded case in my lap from the prior stop. Well as it happens we saw a nother snake so I jumped out to make sure it didnt get away and didnt realize the lens fell out of the truck. I got the snake, and my buddy drove the truck forward to get it off the road when we all heard "Crunch Crikkle Crikkle". Needless to say it sounded just like an empty water bottle getting cruched into a smaller area. I looked and saw my lense case rolling aound the road and thought "Oh crap!" - not the exact words but you get the idea. When I went to pick it up, the lens was no longer round and cylindrical, but rather oblong and crunchy.

And thats the story of why I need a new lens!

Dave
justinm

Post by justinm »

My stepdad broke his 200mm lens just after getting it. Took it outside to do a shoot and he dropped it getting it onto the camera. Cracked the bezel near the front element.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I got a replacement lens off Ebay for a decent price and its working well so far!
justinm

Post by justinm »

You should post some shots! I didn't get the chance to use mine that much before it pooped on me. I have a variety of lenses and seem to only use the 100mm anymore.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'll post some when I use it this weekend.