My first round of 2013

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

devilfish79

My first round of 2013

Post by devilfish79 »

My son and I headed out to Riverside Co. with a buddy for our first herping trip out that way. Overall, it was a great time and we ended up not leaving until 2am. Yes, it was that much fun. Here's a few of the snakes we found (some are crappy pics because my camera was dropped and damaged after we found our third snake):

Lampropeltus getula californiae

Lichanura trivirgata gracia - our first one of the night and it was male

Lichanura trivirgata gracia - our second one of the night and it was female

I believe this next snake to be a Pituophis catenifer annectens (San Diego Gopher), but I'm not 100% certain

Overall, we started the night off with the Kingsnake find, then back-to-back Rosy Boas, eventually a Lyre (no photo), a DOR Gopher and then the live Gopher. For my first time out that way, I had a blast! If I've mislabeled any animals, please feel free to correct me. I've got a lot to learn! :)

Cheers,
-Erik
devilfish79

Re: My first round of 2013

Post by devilfish79 »

Whoops, link error. I'll get it fixed tomorrow.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Looks like you guys definitely had a good night. Those're all of my Riverside favorites. Too bad no pic of the Lyre. Very good stuff. Thanx for sharing.

reako45
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

reako45 wrote:Looks like you guys definitely had a good night. Those're all of my Riverside favorites. Too bad no pic of the Lyre. Very good stuff. Thanx for sharing.

reako45
It was an excellent night. With or without the snakes, it was gonna be fun. The snakes just added to the adventure. You're right, it's too bad that I didn't get a picture of the Lyre. :/ Granted, at 2am, I was more excited than thinking straight. Breaking the camera earlier in the night didn't help either. I can't wait to go back with a new camera and capture everything.

Cheers,
Erik
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

According to the nomenclature you're using (arguable obsolete, but still employed by many of us) your rosys would be Lichanura trivirgata roseofusca not Lichanura trivirgata gracia. roseofusca = coastal, gracia= desert.
congrats on a very nice night... :thumb: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Nice Boylii king... :lol:
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

Haha, works for me! I'm learning all that I can. Thanks Jim. Brian corrected my NAHERP database entries as well. :) I appreciate all help given.
hellihooks wrote:According to the nomenclature you're using (arguable obsolete, but still employed by many of us) your rosys would be Lichanura trivirgata roseofusca not Lichanura trivirgata gracia. roseofusca = coastal, gracia= desert.
congrats on a very nice night... :thumb: jim
Cheers,
Erik
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

I'm definitely a noob as I'm not getting this reference. Please enlighten me. :) As I learn, I'm in turn sharing info with my teenage son (who I only hope passes it on when he has kids later in life).
Brian Hubbs wrote:Nice Boylii king... :lol:

Cheers,
Erik
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Back in the 1930s and 40s it was believed that the banded and striped cal kings were two different species: Boyles (banded) and California (striped). L. M. Klauber eventually proved that both were the same species with the hatching of both striped and banded babies from the same clutch of eggs in 1944. You would greatly benefit from my book Common Kingsnakes...you can see it on my facebook page in my books photo album. You will also find my discounted forum prices there for all 3 of my books. The Common Kingsnake book has 116 pages devoted just to Cal Kings (for example: your avatar pic is the result of breeding lines that originated with the original breeding of the Newport-Long Beach striped pattern with a San Diego striped albino). It is 436 pages, with 560 photos, and covers all 8 subspecies of L. getula.

Cover of my book - Common Kingsnakes by Brian Hubbs, on Flickr

This is a good one too:

Cover of My book - Mountain Kings by Brian Hubbs, on Flickr

End of unabashed plug...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

devilfish79 wrote: As I learn, I'm in turn sharing info with my teenage son (who I only hope passes it on when he has kids later in life).
Cheers,
Erik
As it turns out that the guy you went out with is the son of my best herping buddy from back in the 70's and I not only herp with him, but his boys as well, (3 generations) you and your son are very welcome to tours of the Mojave, by me. Any friend of Carmen's is a friend of mine... :thumb: jim
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

hellihooks wrote:
devilfish79 wrote: As I learn, I'm in turn sharing info with my teenage son (who I only hope passes it on when he has kids later in life).
Cheers,
Erik
As it turns out that the guy you went out with is the son of my best herping buddy from back in the 70's and I not only herp with him, but his boys as well, (3 generations) you and your son are very welcome to tours of the Mojave, by me. Any friend of Carmen's is a friend of mine... :thumb: jim
Jim, you are correct. Carmen had mentioned that he's been herping with you since he was a boy. To be honest, I met you in 2011 at the NARBC in Anaheim when Carmen introduced us. When I met Carmen, I had no idea that he was connected to this community in such a way. Thank you for the invitation. It is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Erik
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Back in the 1930s and 40s it was believed that the banded and striped cal kings were two different species: Boyles (banded) and California (striped). L. M. Klauber eventually proved that both were the same species with the hatching of both striped and banded babies from the same clutch of eggs in 1944. You would greatly benefit from my book Common Kingsnakes...you can see it on my facebook page in my books photo album. You will also find my discounted forum prices there for all 3 of my books. The Common Kingsnake book has 116 pages devoted just to Cal Kings (for example: your avatar pic is the result of breeding lines that originated with the original breeding of the Newport-Long Beach striped pattern with a San Diego striped albino). It is 436 pages, with 560 photos, and covers all 8 subspecies of L. getula.
Brian,

Thank you for the information! Both of those books will be on my bookshelf sooner than later. :)

-Erik