Wisconsin Reptiles - May and June 2013

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Heaven

Wisconsin Reptiles - May and June 2013

Post by Heaven »

Here a few of the photos I've taken so far this year.

Snapping Turtles:

Painted Turtles:

Frogs and Toads:

Snakes:

Thanks for looking!
Philrezin1

Re: Wisconsin Reptiles - May and June 2013

Post by Philrezin1 »

Awesome pictures man! You definitely have better luck in that state then I ever have! Cant wait to see what you find the rest of the season! Phil
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I really like the third snapper shot, first painted turtle shot, and the last redbelly snake shot. Excellent shots all around but those were my favorites.
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Thanks for the compliments fellas. :)

Which area of the state do you herp Philrezin1?
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

I have only ever herped around Adams County, and in all honestly my family got the cabin right before I went to college and stuff so my experience in the area is more from back then. That said recently I put some AC down and spent considerable amount of time checking out the ********** area (very near my cabin). I am planning to make more time to get up there, and really make more time for herping in general. A weekend at the cabin and a weekend at snake road just aint cutting it really. Also in the last couple years I've met with some herpers in the Rockford area and this forum has also been a catalyst for me getting back into the swing of things!

** ADMIN EDIT - Location removed **
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

I'm not familiar with **********, I'll have to check a map. What kind of materials did you put down. I have had good luck with unsanded plywood and tin sheets. Garters seem to prefer the plywood. I think because it allows more moisture to get underneath. If there are garters in the vacinity they will usually find the AC within a week. Some people will say that it's not worth looking this time of year. I say hogwash. I continue to have good luck before 11 am or after 5 pm.

Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Ye gods that Timber pic in a perfect world should be framed on my wall right now.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Very nice collection of shots here. You've been seeing some great stuff.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

Heaven, I put down plywood of varying thicknesses, a bit of roofing tin, some old doors, carpet, and some shingles! I wont have a chance to check it for quite some time though.
corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Very nice photos, they are all so bright and clear. Out of curiosity what camera do you use and do you brighten the images/add more light somehow?

-Corey
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

I use one of the following:
Canon T2i w/ Tamron 90mm macro
Canon 7D w/ 70-300mm L

I usually shoot in landscape profle which I think adds some brightness and saturation to the photos.
justinm

Post by justinm »

You have some good gear to be shooting in "modes". You could really increase the look of your photos if you learned to use it in Manual mode!
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Let me clarify. I shoot aperature priority (Av). I use the canons landscape picture style for most jpegs.
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

That makes me want to get out and find my lifer prairie ringer! Also, nice pic of the garter eating the toad. I need to do my WI spring and summer post soon...before Ben gets around to posting some of the same stuff!
Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Out of curiousity I checked out the ******** area today. The gnats and horseflies were terrible but I still managed to hike the entire trail. Wooded area with sandy soil and two teirs of bluffs. Very few rocks that were loose or small enough to move. I saw a turtle's nest that had been uncovered by an animal so there must be water near though I saw no sign of it in the immediate area.

No herptiles or rodents of any kind. The only wildlife I saw were bluejays, turkeys (lots of them) and turkey vultures. I did find a nice patch of wild blueberries so the day wasn't a total loss.

Heaven

Post by Heaven »

Here's a few more Wisconsin natives I can cross of my list:

muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

LOL!!!!! phil you bad boy. i didn't realize you spilled the beans on that one spot in the middle of nowhere(wink wink). that cracks me up. i feel slightly bad for giving heaven a scolding. by the way heaven, the spot has much potential. put in the time and you will be happy.

phil, phil, phil. what am i going to do with you? go herping again. sounds good to me.

-ben