Lake Elsinore Animal Cruelty: Global Captive Breeders

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Lake Elsinore Animal Cruelty: Global Captive Breeders

Post by Zach_Lim »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eling.html

"Rescue crews went into a warehouse last year to try and save nearly 20,000 rats and reptiles at a wholesale distributor of exotic snakes and rodents, encountering a sight so revolting that they needed crisis counselors to cope."

Not really field herping, but this does impact our hobby.
Mr.Talltree

Re: Lake Elsinore Animal Cruelty: Global Captive Breeders

Post by Mr.Talltree »

Terrible...just terrible.
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

I hate to say it, but PETA and HSUS didn't go in there to save any animals. They went there with the intent to euthanize every animal. I belong to a local SoCal reptile society & rescue and we offered volunteer services to help with said "rescue" and were turned down. Other groups like ours were similarly turned down. It wasn't a rescue.

However, that's no defense for how the animals were being treated. There's never an excuse for that. GCB needed to be shutdown and you're correct, it's devastating for our hobby. However, puppy mills are raided all the time and yet the canine industry is still around. I believe that we'll survive but we'll take a major knock back.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do not support PETA.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

I feel like I'm missing something here... I read the link, as well as the comments, and I can't see how a case of animal cruelty and neglect that was perpetrated by reptile dealers could cast a negative shadow upon us. GCB was into breeding and selling herps, while our focus is on citizen science and data collection. We're the good guys; I would think/hope that folks realize that. My question: is the concern due to a fear that people won't be able to distinguish between the two groups and their respective practices?

Thanks
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

this all happened over half a year ago, and many poorly-kept and dead reptiles were found as well.
As a counter-point to all the 'kudos' local Animal Control was getting... I related what I was going through at the time (house raided, bogus reason for taking my animals, given ZERO violations, ect) with AC. MAY have derailed this story, somewhat... :roll:
But yeah... STILL not over that BS... JUST got a Bill, from the City, for the hrs Code Enforcement spent at my house...at $85 an hr= $1600... :x
I THINK this was the case where Peta sent in undercover agents to film...(??) Do any ends justify any means? :roll: jim
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

hellihooks wrote:But yeah... STILL not over that BS... JUST got a Bill, from the City, for the hrs Code Enforcement spent at my house...at $85 an hr= $1600... :x
Let me get this straight: someone can call in a tip that I'm growing weed because they saw a grow light through a basement window. Cops come to search my house. Finding nothing except a plumeria and some happy lizards, they can BILL me for their trouble?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I know...right? I THOUGHT the taxes I pay paid my city's employees... but..I guess not. What really sucks is it would cost like the same amount to hire a lawyer to fight it. :roll:
DMV (here in Ca) can go right into your bank account and take money they think you owe them, as well. :( jim
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
hellihooks wrote:But yeah... STILL not over that BS... JUST got a Bill, from the City, for the hrs Code Enforcement spent at my house...at $85 an hr= $1600... :x
Let me get this straight: someone can call in a tip that I'm growing weed because they saw a grow light through a basement window. Cops come to search my house. Finding nothing except a plumeria and some happy lizards, they can BILL me for their trouble?
"They" (the man) can do anything they want. The only time that it backfires is when the bill is large enough to be worth while for the target to fight it. If it is a small enough bill, or fee, or tax, or fine, or permit, then the target will not deem it worthy to fight, as it will cost more to fight than it is worth. In Jim's example, it is likely that fighting $1600 will take more money and time than $1600 worth. Especially in California.