Red headed agamas in punta gorda

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jkinnally

Red headed agamas in punta gorda

Post by Jkinnally »

Driving on magdelena rd. when a large lizard enters road from my left, i slowed and it came across road and entered small brush pile and went up palm tree. We pulled off road to try and catch or photo saw it twice more. Positive ID is this the first anyone has heard of them in this area.I just walked in door and posted.just looked it up guess they are solidly established here surprised me.
Jkinnally

Re: Red headed agamas in punta gorda

Post by Jkinnally »

After looking up the agamas i found out we have caiman lizards going to hit that spot to see what i can find.
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Jkinnally wrote:After looking up the agamas i found out we have caiman lizards going to hit that spot to see what i can find.
What??? This is news to me! That's really interesting. I'd like to find some of those! I knew there were caiman around but not caiman lizards. Where did you read that?
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Jkinnally wrote:After looking up the agamas i found out we have caiman lizards going to hit that spot to see what i can find.

Caiman lizards? I'd like to see pictures of that! But on the Agamas, they're spreading pretty much everywhere in that state now.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jkinnally,
The database has no records for over your way, so you may want to enter it! :D

Josh, Have you seen or heard of any in the natural ares yet.
The couple colonies I've seen are in cities, particularly shopping centers.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

If you count botanical gardens... But no, I think they do best in areas with the nice limestone boulders and sprinkler systems. Think being the operative word.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
nice limestone boulders and sprinkler systems
That pretty much describes these shopping centers! :lol: :lol: Just replace "limestone boulders" with cement curbs and dumpsters! :lol: :lol:
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

The curlytails love the cement too, of course.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

James,
Apologies if this is considered a hijack discussion for your thread, but it may play into it.

For all south FL folks and anyone who visits:

You all know too well that natural, periodic rain storms are commonplace, but when you think of the quantity of land with lawn sprinklers, public and private, set on timers, one can’t help thinking what a boom that is to herps and our ability to view them; frogs and lizards especially seem to have benefitted . This seems to soften natural drought periods.

Granted it makes a Petri-dish for starting new colonies of non-natives, but it’s pretty safe to say that in S FL, “that horse has left the gate.”

When we lived in the Boca area, the sprinklers firing cleared the golf courses of the nuisance, straggler golfers, and opened the door for some great "catch and release" Bass fishing and herp viewing.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Definitely. When I was catching cane toads for the USGS, the best places to look were watered lawns.
Jkinnally

Post by Jkinnally »

Alright no luck
on me personally seeing a caimen lizard, there is photo confirmation and multiple sightings of the caimen lizard or lizard in that area by the state.But after going to the area it is thick bush, a beautiful area but definitely a nightmare if i was hoping to attempt to catch one.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Jkinnally wrote:Alright no luck
on me personally seeing a caimen lizard, there is photo confirmation and multiple sightings of the caimen lizard or lizard in that area by the state.But after going to the area it is thick bush, a beautiful area but definitely a nightmare if i was hoping to attempt to catch one.
Let's see some pictures!
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

I am from the California Chapter but this is very interesting! Here in Southern California, along the coast it is always warm and humid. So it is also a place for invasive's to thrive. We have wild chameleons along the coast and Italian wall lizards and green anoles. I am pretty sure there can be more but im not sure.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Green anoles in Cali - makes sense in some ways, and doesn't in other.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Green Anoles - walk around the outdoor monkey enclosures at the San Diego Zoo!
Hmmmm - lots of sprinklers there too.
kwross

Post by kwross »

I catch agamas at this park it's called Harry Harris park and the agamas are everywhere .
Jkinnally

Post by Jkinnally »

Well went and played miniature golf on the 41 bridge on the port charlotte side and greeting me in the parking lot was a large adult male agama.Tthe whole course is overrun by them and totally devoid of any anoles, but i easily saw 40 to 50 of them chasing each other around. The lady behind the counter even showed me a notice on the wall talking about the lizards. Very interesting to watch between my putts.I know we talk about naming locations but the lady actually hopes it will bring her business so i felt it was acceptable in this instance