Frogs at Pumarinri Amazon Lodge, N Peru

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

janis

Frogs at Pumarinri Amazon Lodge, N Peru

Post by janis »

Hi all!

Need your help again!

Think I got the tree-frog right... but the rest...
I've found several pictures of the green/black one, but no name...

...and the un-named lizard is that an Ameiva ameiva too?
http://www.pbase.com/tarsiger/lizzards_ ... thern_peru

Thx!
janis
Ribbit

Re: Frogs at Pumarinri Amazon Lodge, N Peru

Post by Ribbit »

The teiid with a green head and shoulders (1684 and 1669) is Kentropyx altamazonica. I'm pretty sure the one labelled Ameiva ameiva (juvenile) (5696) is also Kentropyx altamazonica. Ameiva ameiva has a brownish head and shoulders and is green towards the rear and tail; K. altamazonica has a green head and shoulders and is brownish towards the rear and tail.

I'm pretty sure that all of the toads (2070, 2067, 1160, 1157, 1077, 1061, 1059, and 9872) are Rhinella marina (aka Bufo marinus). (At least most of them are.)

The big nocturnal gecko Thecadactylus rapicauda was split several years ago by Bergmann & Russell. The ones in Peru are now considered Thecadactylus solimoensis.

I'm pretty confident that frog 2083 is Scinax rubra aka Scinax ruber.

I suspect frog 2094 is also Scinax rubra rather than Phrynoyhas venulosa. However, I do agree that frog 1072 looks like P. venulosa.

I think the crazy bright yellow-and-black poison frog (0161 and 0147) is Ameerega trivittata, though in nearly all of the photos I've seen of that species the light parts are much greener than they are in yours.

I hope this helps,

John
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Ribbit wrote:The teiid with a green head and shoulders (1684 and 1669) is Kentropyx altamazonica. I'm pretty sure the one labelled Ameiva ameiva (juvenile) (5696) is also Kentropyx altamazonica. Ameiva ameiva has a brownish head and shoulders and is green towards the rear and tail; K. altamazonica has a green head and shoulders and is brownish towards the rear and tail.
That's what I thought before Laurie Vitt set me straight. Young ameivas (can) have green heads.
"The lizard that you have labeled as K. altamazonica is actually a juvenile Ameiva. Kentropyx have keeled scales."
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Also, the leaf-shaped toes in that gecko 9944 & 9936 seem to rule out Hemidactylus.
Gekkotan

Post by Gekkotan »

The is no Kentropyx in these pictures. All green lizards are Ameiva ameiva. Frogs 2094 and 2083 are from genus Scinax. S. ruber maybe. Frogs 0161 and 0147 are Ameerega trivittata. Geckos 9944 and 9936 are definately not H. mabouia. I believe they belongs to genus Phyllodactylus.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Ribbit wrote:The teiid with a green head and shoulders (1684 and 1669) is Kentropyx altamazonica. I'm pretty sure the one labelled Ameiva ameiva (juvenile) (5696) is also Kentropyx altamazonica. Ameiva ameiva has a brownish head and shoulders and is green towards the rear and tail; K. altamazonica has a green head and shoulders and is brownish towards the rear and tail.
That's what I thought before Laurie Vitt set me straight. Young ameivas (can) have green heads.
"The lizard that you have labeled as K. altamazonica is actually a juvenile Ameiva. Kentropyx have keeled scales."
Interesting! There are a lot of mislabeled K. altamazonica photos lurking about, given that information. Thanks for the info.

John
janis

Post by janis »

Many thx to all of You!
I will name/rename the images.

thx
janis
justinm

Post by justinm »

I would trust a Laurie Vitt lizard ID, over most anyone's.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Your two Gonatodes species are actually the same thing.

The animals you have labeled as G. concinnatus are just female G. humeralis.

And, your Scinax rubra [ruber] animals are in fact S. rubra [ruber]. No need for the question mark.
janis

Post by janis »

Man many Thanks!

Then I change some names again ;-)

I will (hopefully) be back with alot of new shots in a couple of months. All the help in this forum is really inspiring n I will definitely look more careful for amphipians on my next trip (Venezuela dec-jan).

I hope my pictures/questiones have been interesting enough and helpful for some (for me - a lot :-) ).

Ha d gott! (swedish - translated - have it good!)

janis