Update on my gray banded kingsnake

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Update on my gray banded kingsnake

Post by Gary2sons »

Got this little guy in the Fall of 2010 as a non feeder. Finally took a few skinks and by July 2011 he ate a pinky. After that he eats every time now. Frustrating but still exciting at the same time when it seemed I tried every thing to get him on mice.

Went from 7 grams on skinks to 9 grams by July 2011 and then to 16 grams by Fall.

Weighed 60 grams by Fall 2012

Weighed 138 grams by Fall 2013

Not the best pics and probably not the perfect specimen but still one of my favorites!

This snake is now about 26 inches.

Maybe someone out there knows about what size I can expect him to grow to? :?: Is fed weekly a 14 to 18 gram frozen mouse. Since he more than doubled last year I have hopes to get him over 36 inches.

Thanks for looking!

Gary
VICtort

Re: Update on my gray banded kingsnake

Post by VICtort »

Gary, that is a very handsome animal. Getting it as large as you have in mind seems reasonable to me. Controversial I know...I think you can grow most Colubrids long and fast with frequent small meals and give them all they want within reason(should equate to rapid and healthy growth, not regurgitation and obesity). If your temp range is suitable, that will allow proper digestion and metabolism, it should get large within two-three years, slower growth after that. I enjoy raising hatchlings, so much potential realized if you give them the basics they need (temp range, security/cover, food that supports growth and breeding).

Good luck, I hope to see it when it pushes 40". Bigger Is Better !
Vic
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

What a Treasure :thumb:
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

I have it on good authority they can get big - males especially. Beautiful alterna you have there!

mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Gary2sons wrote:
Not the best pics and probably not the perfect specimen but still one of my favorites!

Thats a great looker! As for being a "perfect" specimen, as long as you enjoy your snake, it is perfect. (I especially like the light area in the middle of the red section behind the head). I bet this grey band is one of your favorites because you took him from a non-feeder to where he is today.

As for the growth rate, It is amazing how fast they grow, and how little you notice it when you see them everyday. A friend of mine came by the other day, and wanted to see my snake, as she saw him when I just got him, and he was only as long as my hand. A year later, the snake is about as long as my arm, and my friend couldn't believe that it was the same one.

matt
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

VICtort wrote:Gary, that is a very handsome animal. Getting it as large as you have in mind seems reasonable to me. Controversial I know...I think you can grow most Colubrids long and fast with frequent small meals and give them all they want within reason(should equate to rapid and healthy growth, not regurgitation and obesity). If your temp range is suitable, that will allow proper digestion and metabolism, it should get large within two-three years, slower growth after that. I enjoy raising hatchlings, so much potential realized if you give them the basics they need (temp range, security/cover, food that supports growth and breeding).

Good luck, I hope to see it when it pushes 40". Bigger Is Better !
Vic
Thanks Vic! Always enjoy your comments. I could probably feed him more but weekly seems about right for now. Don't really want to power feed anyway.
Kelly Mc wrote:What a Treasure :thumb:

Thanks Kelly!
Kent VanSooy wrote:I have it on good authority they can get big - males especially. Beautiful alterna you have there!

Thanks and an awesome alterna! Didn't know they got that size!
mwentz wrote:
Gary2sons wrote:

Thats a great looker! As for being a "perfect" specimen, as long as you enjoy your snake, it is perfect. (I especially like the light area in the middle of the red section behind the head). I bet this grey band is one of your favorites because you took him from a non-feeder to where he is today.

As for the growth rate, It is amazing how fast they grow, and how little you notice it when you see them everyday. A friend of mine came by the other day, and wanted to see my snake, as she saw him when I just got him, and he was only as long as my hand. A year later, the snake is about as long as my arm, and my friend couldn't believe that it was the same one.

matt
Thanks Matt! Have always thought the light area was not right but still would not trade him for another. One of my favorites!