$1100 600mm coming this month

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

$1100 600mm coming this month

Post by justinm »

Tamron is introducing a new lens that is is 150mm-600mm for around $1100 which to me sounds like a bargain basement price for that reach.

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/01/ ... mpression/
Tamara D. McConnell

Re: $1100 600mm coming this month

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Justin,
I'm a camera idiot, so please indulge me. How would that kind of reach compare with the tamron 200-500mm?
justinm

Post by justinm »

Well it's a larger reach than the 600mm obviously. There are a few factors like crop size of the sensor. So a smaller sensor would give you more reach than say a full frame would. I have a Canon 30D, soon to be a 70D. That would be a crazy reach for that camera. I only have a 300mm right now and bird shots are tough.
Tamara D. McConnell

Would it be redundant to have both lenses?
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Tamara check this site out to see the difference between 500 vs 600.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

The difference isn't that profound but in terms of wildlife, sometimes that difference can mean everything.
Would it be redundant to have both lenses?
The short answer based on the focal lengths and nothing else is yes. In terms of focal length theres alot of overlap and everything the 200-500mm could do the 150-600mm has covered and more. Now keep in mind thats just based on a single aspect, there are many other elements that can make a difference. Size and weight is very important for some folks, the image quality may be different, speed of focusing, etc... I would read a bunch of reviews for both lenses if I was considering them and then make a decision, I wouldn't automatically pick the 600mm just cause it has more reach even though that is a big positive aspect to it.
Tamara D. McConnell

Thanks much!
edited to add: That simulator is a very cool thing. I have saved it to my Favorites.
chrish

Post by chrish »

For me, one of the big differences would be the presence of the USD (=HSM, SSM, etc) drive mechanism. This lens will focus faster and more quietly than the 200-500.

The extra 100mm reach is probably less significant than that.

Of course, this assumes they are optically equivalent.

Interesting that it comes in at the same price as the Sigma 150-500 which has equivalent specs (except for the shorter max focal length). For a $1K zoom, that lens is pretty decent from what I've seen. Wonder how the Tamron will stand up against it?
fvachss

Post by fvachss »

There have been a number of high quality 3rd party long zoom lenses for a number of years now and they are often a reasonable, relatively inexpensive alternative to the high dollar super-telephoto primes. The real question, though, is image quality. Some of these lenses produce very nice images, but often not wide open at their maximum aperture (i.e. exactly when you'd want it most). This new lens is a little bit longer and has a little bit larger aperture than the various 500mm alternatives and so it may do a bit better at pulling in detail, but I'd really want to see how it behaved wide open at 600 before I'd get too excited.
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

This review of the lens is on http://www.canonrumors.com It's seems pretty good with actual shots taken with the lens on the last page. The English is a little stilted, it was written originally in Chinese and translated by the author into English.

Here's the review:
http://it.wyswig.com/2014/01/02/review- ... sh-review/
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

I'd be primarily concerned with image quality first and speed second.

150-600mm coevers a NICE focal range, but if the lens offers only subpar optical performace at the longest focal lengths, then it may not produce images that are satisfactory.

The price is nice, but again...in photography you often get what you pay for so I'd want to see professional reviews before I seriously considered this lens.

Also, the variable aperture of 5-6.3 might be a bit of a concern...At it's longer focal lengths, this lens will operate at a max f stop of 6.3. I've got concerns that this may not be fast enough to freeze action (i.e. birds in flight). Even at its shorter focal lengths, the f/5 isn't especially fast, particularly for wildlife that can move quickly and unpredictably.

All things considered, this doesn't look like a bad lens at all initially (especially considering the price), but its got some performance limitations that would be concerning. Depending upon one's style of photography, this may or may not be an issue.

Personally, I think I'd give up some focal range (i.e. go 300mm) and perhaps slap a teleconverter on if it means not giving up some speed (or only 1 f stop).

- Kris
chrish

Post by chrish »

Kris,

I would have the same concerns about quality, but for a 600mm lens at under $1200 I think it might be in a class of its own?
azatrox wrote:Personally, I think I'd give up some focal range (i.e. go 300mm) and perhaps slap a teleconverter on if it means not giving up some speed (or only 1 f stop).
Maybe, but could you really do that in the price range? I guess 300 f/4 with a 2x, but now you are talking about a 600 f/8 lens. Even if the quality is great, the speed loss is noticeable.
A good 400 f/5.6 + 1.4 might be a workable option in this price range, but still not fast.

Of course, with the low ISO results produced by most modern CMOS cameras where you can easily shoot at ISO 1600 and higher the "slowness" of these lenses is less of an issue. Their ability to keep DOF minimal is a different issue.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I would strongly hesitate to buy that lens.

I can't fathom how image quality could be good covering that focal range, and costing only $1100.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Soopaman wrote:I would strongly hesitate to buy that lens.

I can't fathom how image quality could be good covering that focal range, and costing only $1100.
I don't know about that. Here's some real life wildlife shots in this field review:

http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/fiel ... n-150.html
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Owen wrote:

I don't know about that. Here's some real life wildlife shots in this field review:

Still, not great IQ. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't buy it (of course, I wouldn't anyway since I don't need that focal range for herps).

His review is based on gestalt observation and how good he feels the lens is. While there are certainly lenses that lend them selves to feeling better against comparable competitors, this lens falls short technically by a lot. A review on contrast, sharpness, bokeh, chromatic aberrations and the likes is what you need to judge how well a lens is going to perform.

The images are very flat and the bokeh leaves a lot to be desired (see the fox shot for bokeh example).

Is it okay for the hobbyist at that price? Sure. But I wouldn't expect any pro photographers to be dropping their 600mm primes for it and its zoom capabilities.

Of course it's hard to compare a $1100 zoom to a prime lens (Canon 600mm f/4) that costs 10x as much. If you're a pro photographer and selling your images, the $10,000 difference is probably worth it to you. For a hobbyist who just wants to share photos with his friends and family, this 150-600mm zoom lens is probably just fine.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Soopaman wrote:
Owen wrote:

Still, not great IQ. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't buy it (of course, I wouldn't anyway since I don't need that focal range for herps).

His review is based on gestalt observation and how good he feels the lens is. While there are certainly lenses that lend them selves to feeling better against comparable competitors, this lens falls short technically by a lot. A review on contrast, sharpness, bokeh, chromatic aberrations and the likes is what you need to judge how well a lens is going to perform.

The images are very flat and the bokeh leaves a lot to be desired (see the fox shot for bokeh example).

Is it okay for the hobbyist at that price? Sure. But I wouldn't expect any pro photographers to be dropping their 600mm primes for it and its zoom capabilities.
Of course not. However, for what it is, I think this review shows it to be a damn good lens. Anybody who would give up a prime for a long range zoom deserves what they get.

I don't mind the bokeh and I think you have to consider the fact that he is probably shooting at f/8 for some of those shots. If you look at the bokeh on the demoiselle Cranes, the sky looks good but the leaves and grass are a bit problematic. That said, you couldn't get a better shot for $1100.

I think the key point he makes in the review is this:
There's no lens in the (similarly priced) competition that comes close to the range of this lens and it equals just about anything I've seen in terms of image quality.
I would say this lens looks like a "best buy" for long telephoto zooms (> 500mm).

I wasn't really considering it, but now that I see the image quality I'm pretty impressed. That's a lot of lens for $1100. If I had an extra $1100 laying around, I wouldn't mine owning one.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

His review linked to a similar review by another photographer who directly compared it to the canon 600 f/4L, and there were pros and cons to both. He didn't say it was as good in IQ, but basically said for 1/10th the price, the IQ difference wasn't big enough to the naked eye on uncropped images.
chrish

Post by chrish »

AndyO'Connor wrote:His review linked to a similar review by another photographer who directly compared it to the canon 600 f/4L, and there were pros and cons to both. He didn't say it was as good in IQ, but basically said for 1/10th the price, the IQ difference wasn't big enough to the naked eye on uncropped images.
Looking at the detail available in his images, I would be quite happy with that IQ on a 600mm lens.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Maybe, but could you really do that in the price range? I guess 300 f/4 with a 2x, but now you are talking about a 600 f/8 lens. Even if the quality is great, the speed loss is noticeable.
A good 400 f/5.6 + 1.4 might be a workable option in this price range, but still not fast.

Chris, I got a Canon 300mm prime f/4 for about that much...Slap on a 1.4x teleconverter, and on my 7D I've got an effective focal distance of 672mm....The big drawback is I'm giving up the versatility of the zoom. Not saying this is a "bad" lens at all....I can't really say. All I'm saying is that one would have to decide whether they value IQ over versatility in deciding whether to purchase this lens. For, me, I'd rather have the IQ.

His review linked to a similar review by another photographer who directly compared it to the canon 600 f/4L, and there were pros and cons to both. He didn't say it was as good in IQ, but basically said for 1/10th the price, the IQ difference wasn't big enough to the naked eye on uncropped images.

Andy, that's basically the cost/benefit analysis I did when considering the Sigma 105mm OS vs. the Canon 100mm L IS....In the end, I decided there wasn't a 300.00 difference in terms of IQ or versatility. The Sigma cost me about 30-33% less than the Canon would have, and I just couldn't justify the additional $ for a marginal increase in purported quality.

Again, since most people will use this lens at the extreme focal ranges, I think it would all come down to how it performs at those ranges....If someone is going to get 1100.00 worth of use out of it at those ranges, then go for it....Otherwise I'd probably take a pass.

-Kris
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

I don't normally chime in on these sorts of discussion. (talking about the image quality of a lens I've never used), but the pictures in the review look dam good to me. The flat contrast Soopaman mentions could easily be a matter of how the photographer prefers to process his/her images or the lighting available and the bokeh on the fox doesn't bother me all that much. I think many people get overly concerned with resolution, contrast, chromatic aberration, etc. With long lenses I think that the photographer's technique, (nailing focus, freezing subject movement, and keeping the lens steady), matter a whole lot more than how many line per millimeter the lens resolves on some test chart in a lab. Based on what I've seen from this lens I have no doubt that in the hands of a great photographer it could produce great photographs, just as surely as a Nikon/Canon 600 f4 will produce junk in the hands of a bad photographer.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Great points Bill...

Photography has much more to do with the skill, vision and abilities of the photographer than it does the technical specs of the equipment being used.

- Kris