Re: 4,000 Record Club

Post by kyle loucks »

I am addicted...
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

So Awesome...

Way to go Kyle.. :thumb: :beer:

It requires serious dedication and effort to reach this number..

Fundad
brick911

Post by brick911 »

And now we only need Hubbs to chime in. :)
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Big congratulations to Kyle!
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Well done Kyle, that's an impressive number.

Lawrence
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Great job Kyle.

I would have to enter one voucher for each wood frog egg I find to have a chance (does that count?)

That is an impressive feat.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Great job! I know how much time it takes to enter that many records, so I hereby congratulate you on the effort. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (3 thumbs up)
Owen

Post by Owen »

and

kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

:lol:
Herpin_Time

Post by Herpin_Time »

Awesome Kyle
R3dguitarist

Post by R3dguitarist »

For the NAHERP database, I presume?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

While 4,000 is quite a feat (congrats!) I would be curious to know the length of time each person took to get there. I think a herps/month ratio would be nice, but also unfair to people in northern climates. Winters would kill your stats.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

While 4,000 is quite a feat (congrats!) I would be curious to know the length of time each person took to get there. I think a herps/month ratio would be nice, but also unfair to people in northern climates. Winters would kill your stats.
The amount of time it takes to get to 4000 is a long time :lol: , that said it varies from person to person. How many historical records did they add, how often do they herp? how many herps did they record on a given trip? what part of the country are they in? How much spare time do they have to enter the data?

Many of the 4000 + club can enter a record in about 2 minutes (or so), this includes cropping the picture and gather the information.

4000 x 2 minutes = 8000 Minutes= Equals 133 hours. If a person puts in 1 hour a week into entering the data they will get to 4000 in 133 weeks which is 2 and half years.

That doesn't count the hours herping, or the time taken to get a voucher shot, or the time to get GPS, or upload the find through the app or whatever.

Some entries may take longer if the notes are highly detailed or historical, or if they are tying to find species info, or other items. Some may take 5 or 10 minutes each..

It also take some time for the pictures to upload, depending on the persons upload speed.

So 2 minutes is a quick time, and it can take a few hundred entries to get the hang of it get to the 2 minute or less mark.

Needless to say if someone is at 4000 they have made a big commitment to the data.

Heck 1000 records is huge mark..

For me personally with every data request we get, I become more and more motivated to enter finds, and to be frank the targeting of different herps and counties is FUN, as is the entering of the data, its addicting..
Owen

Post by Owen »

Fundad wrote:
The amount of time it takes to get to 4000 is a long time :lol: , that said it varies from person to person. How many historical records did they add, how often do they herp? how many herps did they record on a given trip? what part of the country are they in? How much spare time do they have to enter the data?

Many of the 4000 + club can enter a record in about 2 minutes (or so), this includes cropping the picture and gather the information.

4000 x 2 minutes = 8000 Minutes= Equals 133 hours. If a person puts in 1 hour a week into entering the data they will get to 4000 in 133 weeks which is 2 and half years.

That doesn't count the hours herping, or the time taken to get a voucher shot, or the time to get GPS, or upload the find through the app or whatever.

Some entries may take longer if the notes are highly detailed or historical, or if they are tying to find species info, or other items. Some may take 5 or 10 minutes each..

It also take some time for the pictures to upload, depending on the persons upload speed.

So 2 minutes is a quick time, and it can take a few hundred entries to get the hang of it get to the 2 minute or less mark.

Needless to say if someone is at 4000 they have made a big commitment to the data.

Heck 1000 records is huge mark..

For me personally with every data request we get, I become more and more motivated to enter finds, and to be frank the targeting of different herps and counties is FUN, as is the entering of the data, its addicting..
Agreed! It takes me more than 2 minutes per record since I crop and reduce each voucher and plug in the GPS from my track logs. I maybe do 20/hr.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

the targeting of different herps and counties is FUN
One one hand, I like the thrill of spending hours and hours trying to find some rare awesome animal, but the work to DB entry ratio is low. On the other hand, I also like filling in county gaps in the records, even common, very abundant animals. It actually makes me a bit sad to see that there are several counties here in Florida that are just abysmal in terms of total entries. For example I just found one with 5 total entries. Somebody just passing through I'm sure could find a DOR something to add. I found another county with only 3 entries. Here is some low hanging fruit, and next year I might just harvest some of it.

But, back on topic, 4,000 entries is awesome. I hope to join the club some day.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Agreed! It takes me more than 2 minutes per record since I crop and reduce each voucher and plug in the GPS from my track logs. I maybe do 20/hr.
It does for me too, I am at about 3 minutes or longer, but I don't rush, and I also will make notes and stuff when applicable. I also add the record number to my photos for future reference. Sometimes I will have to research to make sure its not a duplicate specimen, among other things. For me its a FUN project and I try to be as detailed as possible.

I see people enter them at the 2 minute mark though...

One one hand, I like the thrill of spending hours and hours trying to find some rare awesome animal, but the work to DB entry ratio is low. On the other hand, I also like filling in county gaps in the records, even common, very abundant animals. It actually makes me a bit sad to see that there are several counties here in Florida that are just abysmal in terms of total entries. For example I just found one with 5 total entries. Somebody just passing through I'm sure could find a DOR something to add. I found another county with only 3 entries. Here is some low hanging fruit, and next year I might just harvest some of it.

But, back on topic, 4,000 entries is awesome. I hope to join the club some day.
:beer: :thumb: This is what I like to hear. With that kind of motivation you will get there before you know it.. It really is fun, but more importantly important for current and future conservation and species management knowledge..

:beer:
Fundad
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You know what's funny, there's only 1 turtle from Washington county, FL in the database...and one kingsnake (mine). :o Someone could record 5,000 turtles from FL in about a year if they concentrated on them...Heck, I get records for 550-600 Western Pond turtles every year in CA, and that's a much tougher animal to see than FL turtles.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

We need folks to fill in the gaps. Record those common species, go where the entries are lacking and get quality vouchers.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Someone could record 5,000 turtles from FL
Anybody who successfully vouchers 5,000 turtles from any single state should get a trophy. I think 5,000 tree frogs would be easier down here, or maybe even anoles. Heck, 5,000 of anything within a state is worthy of applause.
justinm

Post by justinm »

captainjack0000 wrote:While 4,000 is quite a feat (congrats!) I would be curious to know the length of time each person took to get there. I think a herps/month ratio would be nice, but also unfair to people in northern climates. Winters would kill your stats.
If I spent a few weeks in Kansas and documented every ringneck snake I could find I would have 4k in less than a month, maybe less than a month.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

There is currently only 352 ringneck snake entries for the state of Kansas..

If you entered one ever 2 minutes it would take 133 hours to reach 4000.
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Thinking I might try my idea to make the club: one voucher for each egg in wood frog masses! Should have it in one afternoon.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Is there an 8,000 record club? :roll: :lol: 8-)

BTW, I only have 79 of those 352 ringnecks in Kansas, and Fundad only has 37 of them...so much for us padding our records with ringnecks.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Thinking I might try my idea to make the club: one voucher for each egg in wood frog masses! Should have it in one afternoon.
Since most of us, if not all of us, don't do this it seems a bit unnecessary. There is a qty field if you see a bunch of them at the same location.

It's really too bad those who have taken the effort to accumulate solid data and enter 4000 records can't be praised for their efforts, without the comments about easy ways to do it... Not A SINGLE person in the 4000 club has such nonsense in their records..

Fundad
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yes, I agree - its a bit annoying. God forbid somebody get some recognition for doing something someone else didn't do. It doesn't mean anything more than we are data hounds. But I guess everyone is insecure in one way or another. I don't do it for the praise. ...that's what my fb pictures are for. :lol:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Reading backward... sjfriend - this isn't aimed at you (or anyone in particular). You are in Alaska, so I think I am understanding your humor correctly. :beer:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

BTW, I only have 79 of those 352 ringnecks in Kansas, and Fundad only has 37 of them...so much for us padding our records with ringnecks.
I only have 37 of them? Really?

Fundad
Owen

Post by Owen »

I guess that I could have spun this (http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=173318) into 429 frog records... yes, I took the time to count them in the original sized photos, but who would really take the time to enter that many? :?

BTW, Brian Hubbs should reach 10,000 this year. :shock:
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Fundad wrote:
Since most of us, if not all of us, don't do this it seems a bit unnecessary. There is a qty field if you see a bunch of them at the same location.

It's really too bad those who have taken the effort to accumulate solid data and enter 4000 records can't be praised for their efforts, without the comments about easy ways to do it... Not A SINGLE person in the 4000 club has such nonsense in their records..

Fundad
If you look at the 7th comment of this thread you would see that I did offer praise to those that do such a great job and help the citizen science aspect of the database. As noted after your post, I was poking fun at where I live and what it would take for me to accomplish this great feat. Also if you look at my entries you would see that I have entered masses without "such nonsense"
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

If you look at the 7th comment of this thread you would see that I did offer praise to those that do such a great job and help the citizen science aspect of the database. As noted after your post, I was poking fun at where I live and what it would take for me to accomplish this great feat. Also if you look at my entries you would see that I have entered masses without "such nonsense"
Agreed sir, and I have thank you previously for your efforts.. You have some really great entries.. :thumb:

Fundad
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

And Hello to that export function. Gonna need it in the future.

Shane
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

And Hello to that export function. Gonna need it in the future.
You are nothing more than a trouble making troll, as far as I am concerned, that wants to do nothing more than stir up trouble.

I encourage you remove your handful of entries, and be gone.. So yes, export away.

Fundad