Movement in southern maryland

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kirbyl4

Movement in southern maryland

Post by kirbyl4 »

With the rain system running over maryland just before the storm I decided to head south were it was a little bit warmer for a little bit longer. it seemed to be a good decision. There was some major movement for the spotted salamanders last night.
The peepers were out but hadn't started calling yet and most of the spotted salamanders seemed to be large males. A few females here and there but mostly males.
I finally hit the four toeds in a huge way. found a spot were there was like 15 crossing in one small area.
Now we are hit with snow and wont be able to herp again for awhile. o well, here a few from last night
ZantiMissKnit

Re: Movement in southern maryland

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Good stuff. I'm hopeful that we will have some movement up here someday. It seems as though it is so far away, with the January-like temps we have.

Four-toeds! Man, I miss them.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Excellent. We are creeping closer to that time up here in southern New England.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

The problem is the night drops here. 50 in the morning, 30 at night.

No Bueno
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Where are you intermedius? Up here in north Jersey we're not even getting to 30 in the daytime. Last night it was 4.
kirbyl4

Post by kirbyl4 »

Yeah its been a little cold. I didn't expect to see as much as I did being around 39/40 well that's what my car said. I'm not one to complain though.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I've found the actual migrants will be out in the 30's. But its gotta be like 44+ to get like green frogs and other randoms on the road. Not sure if that's others' experiences.

Great job getting out there!
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Yeah, I've seen laterale migrating at 33 degrees. The problem we're having now is the ground staying frozen. It doesn't matter how warm the air is if the ground is locked in ice.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yeah, I drove by my laterale spot on Sunday up your way. It's still snow covered as far as the eye can see.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

I got spotted salamanders, 2 of them, two years ago in driving rain at 4:25AM in 38 degrees. Amazing you found that much stuff already as it does not feel close to migration weather here.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

cbernz wrote:Where are you intermedius? Up here in north Jersey we're not even getting to 30 in the daytime. Last night it was 4.
I think i meant somewhere in mid-march. I just forgot to add the date. My apologies
Larry Clarfeld

Post by Larry Clarfeld »

The low temps this week in central Vermont have ranged from -14 F to 1 F, which is a good bit colder than average. Day time temps finally got above freezing again yesterday for the first time in over a week. We've got a while to wait, it's great to see some pics of movement down south to hold me over!

Cheers,
Larry