JAMAUGHN

Re: What was your last lifer?

Post by JAMAUGHN »

The endemic Olympic Marmot:

Olympic Marmot, Marmota olympus by J. Maughn, on Flickr
chrish

Post by chrish »

Here's some recent lifers from a trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks -

Yellow-bellied Marmot -

a frickin' Moose!!! I was more than excited to see this bad boy!

and finally a "real" non-introduced Bison -

chrish

Post by chrish »

Had to make a quick weekend trip up to Colorado so I got some birding/mammaling in.

Only two new mammals that I'm sure of -

Colorado Chipmunk (Tamias quadrivittatus)

Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)

This one wasn't fooled by the fake snake on the rock at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, although he was keeping an eye on it, just in case....

Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I just completed a 5 week cross country road trip with extended stops in Glacier, Yellowstone, Badlands, Mt Rainier, Olympic, and Roosevelt NPS. I saw 0 lifers. I guess I've already picked off the easy stuff and didn't get lucky. We still had 48 species, including 4 Marmota, Pygmy Shrew, both species of otters in view at once, hearing a wolf howl for hours, learning the differences between the several species of chipmunks we were in the range of, and a pair of battling elk. It was pretty good, but it would have been nice to see something new.

Curtis
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:both species of otters in view at once
You really had me confused there for a moment. Both species of otter????
Did the split up the River Otters?
Were you in Patagonia or Asia somewhere?

Somehow I overlooked the fact that some of your visit included the NW coast. DOH! :oops:

And while researching that online I discovered that they had moved the NA otters into another genus? I always like Lutra. I'm not changing. ;)

No lifers is a bummer, but that's your fault for seeing them before. :lol:
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

chrish wrote:And while researching that online I discovered that they had moved the NA otters into another genus? I always like Lutra. I'm not changing. ;)

No lifers is a bummer, but that's your fault for seeing them before. :lol:

They changed that a long time ago. I learned Lontra in college, back in '01.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't go to the same places and use the same methods and expect different results.

Curtis
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:They changed that a long time ago. I learned Lontra in college, back in '01.
I learned Lutra in college....and then taught Mammalogy in grad school when it was still Lutra. That was a few years before 01 though. :lol:
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I've been sailing, starting in Panama City, FL and am currently in Puerto Rico. I started out with Atlantic Spotted Dolphins in FL, saw Buffy Flower Bats, Waterhouse's Leaf-nosed Bats, Pantropical Spotted Dolphins, and Bahamian Hutia in the Bahamas. The Hutia, with the very limited, very remote range would have to be the highlight. Hopefully I can see a few more bats before leaving PR.

Curtis
dery

Post by dery »

Second Easter Sunday in a row finding a bat.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

dery wrote:Second Easter Sunday in a row finding a bat.

How'd you find it? What Kind of bat was it?
dery

Post by dery »

Curtis Hart wrote:
dery wrote:Second Easter Sunday in a row finding a bat.

How'd you find it? What Kind of bat was it?
The 2013 Easter Sunday bat was on a wall at my granma's house-blackish gray. This Easter sunday's bat was a brown one under a bridge. No idea of either bat's ID.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

yaaaaaaaay, i get to post here. i must be too interested in looking at the ground all the time and i never see many mammals. well the other day i FINALLY saw a live badger. DORS plenty but i saw one alive. it looked at me from outside it's burrow and bolted in. i was about twenty feet away so i pulled the camera and waited for a while. no luck. 39 years and thousands of hours in the field. finally see one in "the badger state". lol

-ben
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

muskiemagnet wrote:yaaaaaaaay, i get to post here. i must be too interested in looking at the ground all the time and i never see many mammals. well the other day i FINALLY saw a live badger. DORS plenty but i saw one alive. it looked at me from outside it's burrow and bolted in. i was about twenty feet away so i pulled the camera and waited for a while. no luck. 39 years and thousands of hours in the field. finally see one in "the badger state". lol
Nice! Congrats on an uncommon encounter. And now that you know where to go, you can try going back and seeing him again. I'm still waiting on my first badger here (or anywhere else), I have seen stink badgers in Asia but those don't really count as they're actually considered skunks rather than badgers.
dery

Post by dery »

striped skunk at ANF outing.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Not the greatest view, but good enough...

FLORIDA PANTHER!!!!!!

Not sure any wildlife sighting is going to top this one this year.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Florida Panther! Frickin' awesome! And that list of lifers you posted on the birds forum has me wanting to see a forthcoming post from you.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

J-Miz wrote:Florida Panther! Frickin' awesome! And that list of lifers you posted on the birds forum has me wanting to see a forthcoming post from you.
Yeah, on that same trip I had 2 bears and a bobcat. It was pretty crazy.

Not sure there will be a post. For one thing, I don't have a bird lens, and even if I did, nearly all of my life birds were far off, flying away or giving poor views. Even the Scrub Jay. I was going to take a shower so didn't even have binoculars and I saw it foraging near the bathroom in a tree. It then kept moving away from me before flying over a pond. Only one I could find. In a sense seeing all these new birds without amazing looks was one of my biggest disappointments of the trip.

I may do a herp post though...
dery

Post by dery »

My last lifer was my first bat from Morgan County, AL.
gopher

Post by gopher »

While I am sure I walked past an assortment of lifer rodents and bats, this was the only one I snapped a picture of. :oops:
peninsular bighorn sheep
Imagepeninsular bighorn sheep by Gopher Greg, on Flickr
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Past few weeks, Philippine tarsier in the Philippines (duh) then silver langur and proboscis monkey in Borneo.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Not nearly as cool as my last lifer, but finally saw a Hairy-tailed Mole under a snake board. Finishes off the 3 species of eastern US moles for me. All of which were lifered under boards while looking for snakes.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel, Ohio. Found six or seven of these cute buggers.

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Since a few people mentioned bats, I thought I would share this picture I took in northern California. No idea what kind of bat this is, but it was trying to fly against the wind over the American River. At one point it was so close I could have reached out and grabbed it.

~Bree
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

got a badger last night while cruising!

Josh
Owen

Post by Owen »

Mink

pete

Post by pete »

Owen.....
That shot is fantastic!! You get some absolutely amazing pics.
gbin

Post by gbin »

I agree wholeheartedly with pete, Owen! I've seen quite a few mink in my life, but I don't know that I've ever gotten as good a look at one as that - and I certainly don't have a photograph of one anywhere near as good as that. There are a number of people here at FHF that I'd love to spend some time with someday, but you're one that I'd love to spend some time learning from. You've got some real skill, amigo!

Gerry
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

In my trip to Bangladesh, new lifers I got were Phayre's Leaf Monkey, Capped Langur, Hoolock Gibbon, Ganges River Dolphin, and Irrawaddy Dolphin.

Also think I got Irrawaddy Squirrel and Asiatic Long-tailed Climbing Mouse, but can't be absolutely sure without pictures.

I'll get pics up soon (though no one got any of the Irrawaddy's as far as I know).
Owen

Post by Owen »

pete wrote:Owen.....
That shot is fantastic!! You get some absolutely amazing pics.
gbin wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with pete, Owen! I've seen quite a few mink in my life, but I don't know that I've ever gotten as good a look at one as that - and I certainly don't have a photograph of one anywhere near as good as that. There are a number of people here at FHF that I'd love to spend some time with someday, but you're one that I'd love to spend some time learning from. You've got some real skill, amigo!

Gerry
Gerry, Pete... thanks. I did an OK job stalking it as I saw it and went around the rocks to 'catch it' as it came around that side.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I was in Costa Rica earlier this month doing some birding/herping and got a few mammals, at least one of which was a lifer.
I was walking down a dirt road in a smallish patch of rainforest when I just casually looked back down the road behind me.
As I looked back, I saw the distinctive form of a gray morph Jaguarundi run across the road behind me and into the forest.

It was only the briefest of glimpses but there isn't really anything else that size and color with that catlike run. We ran down there and scanned to forest for a second glimpse, but saw nothing as you would expect with a forest cat.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Lucky you, Chris! Despite all the time I've spent in Central America, I haven't yet seen a jaguarundi in the wild, myself - and I'm quite envious!

Gerry
chrish

Post by chrish »

gbin wrote:Lucky you, Chris! Despite all the time I've spent in Central America, I haven't yet seen a jaguarundi in the wild, myself - and I'm quite envious!

Gerry
Yeah. I don't expect to ever see another one. I still need a Jaguar sighting though.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

gbin wrote:Lucky you, Chris! Despite all the time I've spent in Central America, I haven't yet seen a jaguarundi in the wild, myself - and I'm quite envious!
During our honeymoon in Belize, on a short hike in Cockscomb just after a tropical depression my wife spotted a Jaguarundi sniffing the trail just a few meters in front of her. Unfortunately, I was bent over about 5 meters further back, flipping a log for herps! She said something, the jaguarundi took off, I looked up and only saw a flash that I never could have ID'd if she hadn't told me what it was. That's what I get for flippin' stuff...
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Indian Giant Flying Squirrel in the foothills of the Himalayas last week. I ID'd it when it jumped off the branch and glided right over my head! One of the coolest mammal moments of my life.

And it's been two years since I got the lifer, but I finally photographed an Asian House Shrew for the first time last night. World's biggest shrew species. Caught it in a live trap that I'd set for mice.

I'll get posts with my Indian and Bangladeshi mammals up as soon as possible.
gbin

Post by gbin »

On the topic of squirrels, I saw my first (and second, and third...) Kaibab squirrel(s) while visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last week. Beautiful species, very similar but in my opinion even prettier than its close cousin the Abert's squirrel on the South Rim. Tried hard to get pictures, but was unsuccessful due to their wariness despite other people telling me how these squirrels would frolic right in front of them. :?

I would bet that your wife got to see things she wouldn't have if you hadn't been flipping, jonathan, just as you wouldn't have gotten even a glimpse of that jaguarundi if she had been flipping, too. I know it works well for my wife and me that she predominantly looks up for birds and mammals and I predominantly look down for herps and mammals. ;)

Gerry
marchnw

Post by marchnw »

Rafinesque's Big-eared Bat from TN.
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Recent family trip to visit my sister in Texas brought a few nice mammals.

Certain lifers would have been a pocket mouse and kangaroo rat, probable some bats. Alas, I got ID's for neither so liferwise I had to content myself with blacktailed jackrabbit, rock squirrel, gray fox, black bear and javelina.

Came across a few DOR's I would have loved to add to the list as well.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Got alot these past few months in Borneo. Some of the more exciting ones for me were Marbled cat, banded linsang, common porcupine (asian variety), brush tailed tree shrew, island flying foxes. There were more but I can't recall right now, i'll make a borneo post once I process photos.
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

you saw a marbled cat!?!?? That's incredible
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I'm out of the field for 3 days, so far I've seen 24 new mammals I've identified, and maybe 6-8 I haven't. My last lifer was Lord Derby's Anomalure. The best mammals on the list are Tree Pangolin, Central African Linsang, and Drill. I am on Bioko. I guess I should mention that.

Congrats on the Marbled Cat and Banded Linsang.

Edit: picked up a Pallid Needle-clawed Galago and another Linsang sighting last night.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Saw a few mammals in Australia over Xmas. Most weren't new other than a few bats I didn't get an ID on (yet?).
I think the only lifer I put a name on was this Uromys caudimaculatus. Really neat, giant rainforest rats.

krismunk

Post by krismunk »

I spent the weekend at an inn in the woods of Jutland celebrating my father's 75th birthday.

Along with my wife and kids I got up early this morning for a nice walk through the mist to knock off what I guess is the final species on the native mammal list I considered it downright embarassing not to have seen.

Decades late (since reintroduced populations which is all we have here on Zealand don't really count) I finally ticked off the red deer.

:)
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Striped hyena.

I got skunked road cruising Sunday night in the upper Jordan Valley so this was a more than welcome surprise in lieu of snakes :)
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I saw it just over a weeks time ago but had to consult with experts before I could be sure, after they looked at my photos the verdict is in... my newest mammal lifer is the mountain Coati (Nasuella olivacea), pretty rare little critter 8-)
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Mountain Coati is really impressive!

I saw around 80 new mammals this past winter. The last was Walia Ibex in the Simien Mountains. Other highlights included Speke's Pectinator, African Wild Dogs, Naked Mole Rat, Serval, Grevy's Zebra, Ethioian Wolf, and 17 primates.

ImageGrant's Gazelle

ImageTree Pangolin

ImageThomas's Galago

ImageDrill

ImageAllen's Galago
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Pangolin! I really, really want some sort of Pangolin someday.

My very boring one is Siskiyou Chipmunk.

I also saw a chipmunk in Tejon Ranch in the Tehachapi range that possibly could be a new locale for the Mt. Pinos Lodgepole Chipmunk, but I didn't get a photo and don't know how to make the ID anyway.

Also got my first Black Bear in 20 years!
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I still need Siskiyou Chipmunk.

I was in the same situation. Possible Pangolin played a big roll in my choice to volunteer there for 5 months. Bioko is a decent Pangolin place, I saw 4 that were all different individuals. My girlfriend randomly saw 2 in one day, about 7 k apart. I saw one on my 3rd night walk, and that reduced my effort afterwords.

Curtis
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Mountain Coati is really impressive!
I couldn't believe my luck, i actually wouldn't allow myself to believe it until I had gotten a 2nd and 3rd opinion from people who know better than I do! I'll make a post soon with some highlights.

Amazing! What were you working on in Bioko? Thats a place i'd really like to go, I applied for a position there years ago but my CV was rather weak at the time its alot better now, maybe i should try again.

Thats great you two saw so many pangolins! I got my lifer pangolin in Danum Valley in Borneo two years ago, we were hauling equipment out into the field and one ran across the trail infront of us, at ~9 in the morning no less! Last year when I was back in Borneo my boss saw one, she stopped in her tracks and said "Whoa, Amazing!", but we were constantly saying that so i didn't pay much attention and kept working. Turns out she had seen a pangolin scrambling up a hill, when she told me ~30 sec later I went after it but couldnt track it down again. I cant remember what time of day that was but it was definitely sunny out. Strange that both my pangolin encounter and my near encounter were during the day, I have taken countless nighthikes in the same area and never bumped into a pangolin then. Potentially going back again this year, hoping to knock off the sun bear and clouded leopard more than anything but I certainly wouldn't mind another pangolin encounter.

Oh and almost forgot but that drill is incredible!
ackee

Post by ackee »

Last year on Dominica I saw my first Leptodactylus fallax, the Giant Ditch Frog. These are almost extinct, now found only on Montserrat and Dominica, very rare in both places. The one I saw was a very large brownish orange creature with thickly barred legs positioned less than a meter away from a small waterfall I was climbing. No camera. I was too spellbound to even try to touch this magical being, which sat motionless in its tiny grotto. It would definitely have taken two hands to safely hold.

Dominica has more than its share of rare creatures. I go there every year and always see Imperial Amazon parrots and Clouded Boas. The 'Mountain Chicken' was my first in many years. I hope not my last.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Just picked up a few more mammal lifers, nothing too impressive but did a bit of hiking in the Alps and saw my first Alpine Marmots (Marmota marmota). I also saw some sort of aquatic shrew running along the edge of a stream in the alps, very brief encounter lasting only about 10 seconds but I saw it run in and out of the water several times and then disappear along with the current. Seemed very at home both in the water and on the rocks.

Then some night hiking in the Black forest in Germany produced a pair of edible dormice (Glis glis). Also a good number of small rodents perhaps voles which I have not IDed.