County record gaps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jefferson

County record gaps

Post by Jefferson »

I know that I live in the Midwest where there are some major gaps (Ohio especially) in naherp records, but could somebody please just get the last few counties in PA and NY? Seriously, my OCD is killing me when I look at the naherp activity map like Adrian Monk looking at a crooked painting.
ZantiMissKnit

Re: County record gaps

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

HAHAHA, don't look at this thread, then. http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=18571
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Kings County, NY consists solely of Brooklyn. I can give you a complete list of the entire herp population of the county right now:

about 1000 Green Frogs in the lake at Prospect Park
about 150 Bullfrogs in the same lake
a few thousand pet store turtles in the same lake
a couple dozen Brown Snakes scattered around the few vacant lots left that haven't been turned into luxury apartments or mustache-waxing boutiques
a handful of dead snakes that floated down the Hudson and got wrapped around old pilings in Red Hook.
a family of Garters who got priced out of Brooklyn during the 90's but come back occasionally to sneer at the younger, richer Garters who pay ten times the old rent to live under the same crappy boards painted a slightly different color, oh, but now there's also a Stumptown Coffee and a gourmet meatball store there so it's totally worth it.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

cbernz wrote:a gourmet meatball store
I'm definitely way too lowbrow to even understand that. In my world, there are two kinds of meatballs: the kinds in spaghetti and the Swedish kind.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:
cbernz wrote:a gourmet meatball store
I'm definitely way too lowbrow to even understand that. In my world, there are two kinds of meatballs: the kinds in spaghetti and the Swedish kind.
It's trendy right now: http://themeatballshop.com/ It's cool nowadays to open places that specialize in very specific foods, like French macarons, Korean-style chicken wings, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. I'm just hip enough to be aware of the trends, but not too hip to mock them.

I lived in Brooklyn as a kid, and Prospect Park was the first place I remember seeing frogs and turtles. I never saw a snake or salamander there, although there must be at least a few. It's no place for a dedicated herp trip, but someone might be able to add a few records on a casual visit. The one record for New York County (Manhattan) was a Red-eared Slider - almost certainly seen on someone's lunch hour at Central Park.

Here's a question: does anyone know (or know of) any active herpers who live in NYC?
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Actually some of those counties have records, but someone on here chooses to restrict public access to all of their records, so they dont show up on the map....
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

cbernz wrote:Kings County, NY consists solely of Brooklyn. I can give you a complete list of the entire herp population of the county right now:

about 1000 Green Frogs in the lake at Prospect Park
about 150 Bullfrogs in the same lake
a few thousand pet store turtles in the same lake
a couple dozen Brown Snakes scattered around the few vacant lots left that haven't been turned into luxury apartments or mustache-waxing boutiques
a handful of dead snakes that floated down the Hudson and got wrapped around old pilings in Red Hook.
a family of Garters who got priced out of Brooklyn during the 90's but come back occasionally to sneer at the younger, richer Garters who pay ten times the old rent to live under the same crappy boards painted a slightly different color, oh, but now there's also a Stumptown Coffee and a gourmet meatball store there so it's totally worth it.
That's a fantastic post. Someone should get some Brooklyn herps into the database!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

spinifer wrote:Actually some of those counties have records, but someone on here chooses to restrict public access to all of their records, so they dont show up on the map....
Sounds like someone is too cool for school.