Question about 25+ entries contest rule

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RobertH

Question about 25+ entries contest rule

Post by RobertH »

How exactly does this rule work? As I understand, or understood, it, you get 1 point for every 25 entries of the same species.

I am asking because we (or rather Nicholas) have entered exactly 100 Fence Lizards, 25+ Sagebrush Lizards, and 25+ Utas, but see only 3 points for it on the score board. Shouldn't it be 5 points? Or am I missing something? I probably am.

Btw, as some of you (and you know who you are ;) ) may have noticed, Nicholas is on the war path now, vouchering and entering every herp, dead or alive. So watch out :D

Robert
mattg

Re: Question about 25+ entries contest rule

Post by mattg »

I believe it is per county, so once you hit 25 fence for la you get one point , in order to get another you have to find 25 in another co. And that goes for every species . And I see you guys on there! I have Alot more to enter. Don't worry! Lol :thumb:
gopher

Post by gopher »

Man you guys are good! I need to get myself to make a record each and every fence lizard/uta... I take the pics but then I never enter them in.
Also how/where do you view the 'scoreboard'?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:, Nicholas is on the war path now, vouchering and entering every herp, dead or alive. So watch out :D

Robert

That boy gonna drive me to drinking... if he don't stop driving that Hot...Rod... Lincoln :crazyeyes: :D jim
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Matt: Thanks, that makes sense. I just had never heard of that part of the rule.

And now, you've got Nicholas worried again ... climbing to the top of that score board, at least with number of species, is sort of his summer project, you know. If he could drive, you guys would all be toast :lol:

Greg: Here is the score board: http://www.naherp.com/reports/california.php (use with caution: highly addictive content ;) ).

Jim: You should try spending 24/7 with that boy for a whole week like I just did while my wife and daughter were gone on a girl's trip ... :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol:

Robert
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Robert that boy of yours is on fire! Fourty five species this year and 100 species in total years. I think I had better alert Jim M that Nicholas is about to run him over, I'm already in his dust. And then there's the total entries thing, I guess I had better get off my butt and go out and rack up some numbers on something easy, say like turtles. (Just kidding Hubbs) :lol:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

you get 5 points for a plus 25, but it is counted manually at the end by the person who counts it

Go Nic!!!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Btw guys all of this info is in the sticki
es up
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

I think I had better alert Jim M that Nicholas is about to run him over...
I will gladly step aside to let Nicholas pass. I'm rooting for him, even while I try to stay ahead...just so he doesn't think it's too easy.

...and by the way, Nicholas, my national count is 69, so naturally that's the number I'm expecting you to beat. 8-) :lol:

JimM
gopher

Post by gopher »

Thanks for the link Robert! I am going to give you and Nic a run for your money when it comes to being "the species king" :lol: :beer:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

...and by the way, Nicholas, my national count is 69, so naturally that's the number I'm expecting you to beat.
Oh no, you shouldn't have said that. Now he'll definitely make me take him to AZ for the NAFHA meeting ... :roll: 8-)
I am going to give you and Nic a run for your money when it comes to being "the species king"
I know you will, and so does Nicholas. :thumb:

Talking about being, or becoming, the species king: Who would it be if AC flipped and road cruised species didn't count? We, for example, have none of the former and only one of the latter (a recent DOR zonata :( ).

Robert
gopher

Post by gopher »

RobertH wrote:
...and by the way, Nicholas, my national count is 69, so naturally that's the number I'm expecting you to beat.
I know you will, and so does Nicholas. :thumb:

Talking about being, or becoming, the species king: Who would it be if AC flipped and road cruised species didn't count? We, for example, have none of the former and only one of the latter (a recent DOR zonata :( ).

Robert
Hmm in that case I would loose a good number of records if road cruising didn't count, those nocturnal snakes are a bit hard to come by otherwise, especially those leaf-noses.

If either of us went up north there will be a significant increase in species :mrgreen: *hint hint*
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

If either of us went up north there will be a significant increase in species :mrgreen: *hint hint*
Yes, though at least Nicholas and I could find way more new species in one or two nights of good road cruising in the desert. NorCal is best during flipping season when you can find all local snakes, including the ones that are usually flipped, like Sharptails and Rubber Boas, AND all of the local salamanders and frogs. Right now, all you'd likely add are 3 species of Gartersnake and the Red-Legged Frog (which I told you can be found right here in LA County at one spot - hint, hint).

Robert
mattg

Post by mattg »

you gotta get out there! i got a few more records to enter don't count your chickens yet lol :thumb: im only caught up to mid april, been super busy. :thumb: :beer: when nicholas gets a a car were all in trouble! :thumb:

RobertH wrote:
Yes, though at least Nicholas and I could find way more new species in one or two nights of good road cruising in the desert. NorCal is best during flipping season when you can find all local snakes, including the ones that are usually flipped, like Sharptails and Rubber Boas, AND all of the local salamanders and frogs. Right now, all you'd likely add are 3 species of Gartersnake and the Red-Legged Frog (which I told you can be found right here in LA County at one spot - hint, hint).

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

There's no doubt that Nicholas is the 'new kid on the block' :lol: :lol:
gopher

Post by gopher »

mattg wrote:when nicholas gets a a car were all in trouble! :thumb:
I agree but not only would we be in trouble, Robert would be too! Road cruising is expensive Image
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

OMG, Jim, I can't believe how little he was back then. Must have been, what, 2011? I guess he's not all that "new" anymore.
you gotta get out there!
We are getting out there. Just found one more species this morning and right behind our house. Check out Nick's entry later tonight :thumb:

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I think so... here's my favorite shot of Nic (from 011) with his lifer noosed Zebra... :thumb:

same day he noosed the spectacular collie...
Nic had a great day, that day... noosed like 6 different species of lizard I think... :shock: :thumb:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Robert, if you enter 100 utas from L.A. county it counts as four 25+s or 100 points + 20 bonus points for the four 25+s. You can do that with all the species in all the counties. 250 utas from the same county would be ten 25+s and 250 points + 50 bonus points. This is why I photo lizards a lot...
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

if you enter 100 utas from L.A. county it counts as four 25+s or 100 points + 20 bonus points for the four 25+s.
Ha, isn't that exactly what Matt said is NOT the case?
I believe it is per county, so once you hit 25 fence for la you get one point , in order to get another you have to find 25 in another co.
However, it appears you are right. I went back and counted our Fence Lizards, Sagebrush Lizards and Chuckwallas. It turns out that Nicholas made a mistake and we have only 24 Sagebrush Lizards, not 25, for LA County. And the 25+ Chuckwallas are spread across 2 different counties. So we get 3 x 5 bonus points (15) only for our 87 Fence Lizards from LA County, which is what the score board shows.

Still, Matt's apparent confusion, not to mention my own, shows that this rule is rather ambiguous as it is written in the sticky:
5 Point Bonus= 25+ entries of a species in a county (Any species you record 25 of in a county you get a 5 point bonus.)
Robert
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

"5 Point Bonus= 25+ entries of a species in a county (Any species you record 25 of in a county you get a 5 point bonus.)"

Ok I am not an English major (stop laughing :lol: ) but what is so hard to understand about what is written in the sticky?

Fundad
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

You are NOT an English major? What was me thinking? :lol:

But seriously, the rule can be read two ways. One is the way Matt read it - and the way I then also read it after he "explained" it to me - which is that you can get only 1 X 5 bonus points for 25+ of any given species in a county. Once you have, say, 25 Fence Lizards in LA County and received 1 x 5 bonus points, that's all the bonus points you can get for Fence Lizards in LA County. To get more bonus points for Fence Lizards, you have to find them in a different county.

The other way is the correct, intended way as explained by Hubbs: You can get any number of bonus points for 25+ of any given species in a county. If you find 100 Fence Lizards in LA County, you get 4 x 5 bonus points.

The funny thing is that no one corrected Matt even after he misstated the rule (if he did) in response to my question. So, simple and straightforward, it seems, the rule is not. Only the Fence Lizard and Uta King has a solid grip on it :crazyeyes: :lol:

Anyway, back to vouchering Fence Lizards .... :beer:

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

should read 5 bonus points for EACH 25 of a species, per county. I is a English major... :thumb: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I would have corrected him, but I've been gone to Norcal for 2 weeks, gathering 25+s of turtles. I think I might have gotten 50 entries for Shasta county alone...I just started entering some stuff last night and picked up 7 new county records...gotta love the state of Jefferson. :lol:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote: I think I might have gotten 50 entries for Shasta county alone...
what's that... like 2 pics? :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

No, unlike you, I don't bust up pics to make extra entries unless the pic is from a distance and I need to show the spread of the animals across the location. You contest crazy people will do anything to get more points...geez... :lol:

Now, I on the other hand, don't really go for this contest stuff...I just enter data...and as much as I can...because, uh, well, cause I have no other life... :roll:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:No, unlike you, I don't bust up pics to make extra entries
only ever done that if there are more than 1 species in a pic
Brian Hubbs wrote: Now, I on the other hand, don't really go for this contest stuff...I just enter data...and as much as I can...because, uh, well, cause I have no other life... :roll:
your sad sad life (shouldn't talk...mine's no better :roll: ) is Nafha's gain... :thumb:
Just felt like pulling your strings to watch you dance... a concept I'm fairly certain you're familiar with... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Yes, we pull each other's strings...pathetic... :?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Yes, we pull each other's strings...pathetic... :?
look on the bright side... we both can say we have TWO hobbies... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mattg

Post by mattg »

I don't know, I just go herping. I guess now I can get 200 utas and fence in every county now , sweet! Although I did notice that the county records go to the first person to enter it in the database not the first one found( by date), seems
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

mattg wrote:I don't know, I just go herping. I guess now I can get 200 utas and fence in every county now , sweet! Although I did notice that the county records go to the first person to enter it in the database not the first one found( by date), seems
You can make up the date it was found (not that any of us would)... the date entered can't be tampered with... ;)
gopher

Post by gopher »

mattg wrote:I don't know, I just go herping.
Ditto, except I love the photos. The funny thing is that this week marked my amazing first fence lizard record for 2014. :beer:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I went all the way to Modoc co. in the last 2 weeks, and I bet I didn't even voucher 25 sceloporus in the entire trip. But, I got over 100 pond turtle pics and several dozen snakes and frogs and newts and salamanders (thanks to Lawrence -CalfireCap).