Fieldnotes

Cobra on the loose in Thousand Oaks

Post by Fieldnotes »

1300 block of Rancho Lane, Thousand Oaks, CA

http://ktla.com/2014/09/03/cobra-alert- ... e-bit-dog/

MarcLinsalata

Re: Cobra on the loose in Thousand Oaks

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Did they finally get it? I have a bad feeling the owners are going to get into a lot of trouble, if animal control didn't already whack the snake............ :| :|
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Interestingly the news outlets got the ID correct (albino cobra). Usually we see things like killer anaconda on the loose, or someone identifies a gopher snake as a timber rattle snake. Wasn't there a scare up north where a ratsnake was thought to be a venomous snake in some sort of locker room?
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I heard on the radio the encounter with the dog happened Monday, but the story just really broke today. That thing could be blocks away by now. Though it's probably holed up under some house. Interesting how they have determined what species it is. I see a white cobra. .....Cobra ID is not really my thing, and it's been decades since I've known anybody that owned one. Maybe the owner has come forward to ID it?

It reminds me that I may have been right when I saw a large jet black snake slither by me through deep grass in the local hills and I didn't pounce on it. Chances are it wasn't some escaped HOT, but when you have to think twice, then a third time, then again to try to ID something you can't get a good look at.....

What do you think the chances are somebody reading this knows the owner.......... :roll:

- nightdriver
monklet

Post by monklet »

CNN.com Headline wrote:NEW Escaped cobra menaces SoCal
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yeah, forget about earthquakes, fires and mud slides. We are now under attack by a killer serpent. :lol: :lol: :lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

It is a leucistic monocled cobra. And there is one publicly confirmed individual in the Thousand Oaks area who has in their collection just such a specimen. They have been contacted by County Animal Control and asked if this individual snake is theirs. They publicly deny it. If I had a business
that dealt with the renting out of exotic potentially dangerous animals and one of them got loose, I would probably deny ownership as well because it could lead to having my permits and licenses revoked. What are the chances that there is more than one owner of a leucistic monocled cobra within 10 miles of the area of the snake being discovered. Ofcourse it's not improbable, but I am just sayin'...I also found it interesting that Jules Sylvester(whose facility is in Oak Park) joined in the search for the cobra and not the other notable reptile wrangler located in Thousand Oaks who happens to own just such a snake.
monklet

Post by monklet »

I'm an hour away from T.0. in Ventura and everyone here is pretty much on lock down, businesses are closed and everyone is just waiting for the all clear. Let us pray!

As long as I could get a timely dose of the appropriate antivenin/anitvenom, whatever you call it, I'd much rather get bit by a cobra than a helleri!

Does anyone know if it's true that isolating the bite using a constriction band (not a tourniquet) is effective in reducing systemic diffusion of the venom and so buys time till treatment?
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Hey, the snake's got a Twitter page, check it out:

@Albino_Cobra
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

County Animal Services caught the snake from under a shed about two hours ago, Saw the video of them placing it into a box with tongs.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm an hour away from T.0. in Ventura and everyone here is pretty much on lock down, businesses are closed and everyone is just waiting for the all clear. Let us pray!
Hilarious!
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Aaron, the owner of the cobra isn't who i think it is.. is it? J. B. ?