Hello from Atlanta

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

HerpMan ATL

Hello from Atlanta

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Hello Everyone.
Rich herein Atlanta, Ga. Im new here but have been watching the forum for a while like some of the others. I've been herping since I was a kid growing up in Tennessee, catching anything and everything I could find. I got away from it for a few years but then I got back into photography when DSLRs became affordable about 10 years ago. I was mainly into bird photography until this past year. I discovered herping was a great thing to do between spring and fall migrations. Now it seems Im looking almost solely for herps and very little for birds. It's kinda difficult to look for both.

Here are a few photos from this summer. Many more on my flickr site.
First me in the Okefenokee this summer. It was WAY to hot but found a Hognose and Racer.
Me in the Okefenokee by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Eastern Hognose Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Baby Rat Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr

Eastern King Snake by cre8foru2009, on Flickr
mtratcliffe

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Post by mtratcliffe »

Please post more often - your pictures are amazing! Welcome to the Forum!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good stuff, Rich.
We wan't more!! :)
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Welcome to the dark side of herping! Just forget about all those silly birds. :twisted: Georgia is a beautiful state that I visit a few times a year. Got folks in Atlanta too.
dery

Post by dery »

The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Welcome! Your photos are lovely!
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Wonderful! Nice to see you here on FHF! I've seen your photos on Flickr in the Herp-in-habitat group :)! I'm sure it's hard being a birder and a herper at the same time, trying to look up while looking under a rock or log can be pretty tough i imagine :D.
-Bethany
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Echoing what others have said, your pictures are great and you should post more on here when you can. I also encourage you to check out HERP if you haven't already. http://www.naherp.com/

Welcome to the SE. I haven't herped in Georgia before, but I have been to Atlanta and enjoyed it very much. Its a great city.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Welcome; Hogs are great :beer:
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

mtratcliffe wrote:Please post more often - your pictures are amazing! Welcome to the Forum!
thank you and I will
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

BillMcGighan wrote:Good stuff, Rich.
We wan't more!! :)
Thank you. More coming. Got next week off.
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

PrimitiveTim wrote:Welcome to the dark side of herping! Just forget about all those silly birds. :twisted: Georgia is a beautiful state that I visit a few times a year. Got folks in Atlanta too.
I cant forget about the birds but they are secondary for now. Let me know when your coming and maybe we can get together find some critters.
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

dery wrote:The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.
I had some good bug spray. Takes more than some bus to stop me.
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:Welcome! Your photos are lovely!
Thanks
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Rich in Reptiles wrote:Wonderful! Nice to see you here on FHF! I've seen your photos on Flickr in the Herp-in-habitat group :)! I'm sure it's hard being a birder and a herper at the same time, trying to look up while looking under a rock or log can be pretty tough i imagine :D.
-Bethany
Thanks. Its good neck relief looking on the ground instead of up all the time. Habitat shots are my favorites.
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

captainjack0000 wrote:Echoing what others have said, your pictures are great and you should post more on here when you can. I also encourage you to check out HERP if you haven't already. http://www.naherp.com/

Welcome to the SE. I haven't herped in Georgia before, but I have been to Atlanta and enjoyed it very much. Its a great city.
Thanks. I'll check it out now.
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Josh Holbrook wrote:Welcome; Hogs are great :beer:
Yes they are. That one put on quite a show too.
dery

Post by dery »

HerpMan ATL wrote:
dery wrote:The Okefenokee is too buggy in the summer for most people. Since you had a good time, I guess the flies and mosquitoes don't bother you either. We want more ATL records!!! Like Bill said we want more posts. Welcome to FHF Rich.
I had some good bug spray. Takes more than some bus to stop me.
Same here. I just never got bit enough to need repellent. We're going back to ONWR in winter for the less fortunate kin. Stupid 10 year hiatus. :roll: What bug repellent do you prefer?
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Welcome! I'm just south in Columbus. Awesome photos. Drop me a line if you ever head down this way. By the way, that is a gorgeous king.

-Robb
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Ecto Hunter wrote:Welcome! I'm just south in Columbus. Awesome photos. Drop me a line if you ever head down this way. By the way, that is a gorgeous king.

Thanks. My plan is to herp a lot more this year in the Southern part of the state below the fall line so I might just hit you up. You know some good spots down there? I plan to hit the Fall Line Sandhills soon.

-Robb