Southern California Nov-Dec

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Southern California Nov-Dec

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hey guys,

I have November 27-Dec 7 off of work in preparation for a short Southern CA tour from Dec 4-7.

I know herping is dependent on weather (and in the case of CA, moisture), but is late Fall/early Winter decent for seeing some snakes? I was planning on driving down to SoCal for a few days and heading back down for tour, or just trying to herp in between shows, depending on how productive this time is.

Tour Schedule:

Dec 4- Munoz Gym // 1931 E. California Ave. // Bakersfield
8 pm // All Ages // $6

Dec 5- The Dawg House- City Heights/San Diego (Day Show)
El Tigre or La Prison in Plaza Zapata- Tijuana, MX

Dec 6- Programme Skateshop // 2495 East Chapman, Fullerton

Dec 7- Honey Hive Art Gallery // 46th Ave and Judah // SF

I should have some time, possibly before the San Diego and Fullerton show to herp. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Zach
RobertH

Re: Southern California Nov-Dec

Post by RobertH »

To be honest, late November/early December is dismal for snakes and really anything else of interest. That's why Nick and I are coming up to NorCal soon :lol:

If we get some more rain by then down here and someone has boardlines he can show you, that may produce some snakes, though. Coastal San Diego County (e.g., Jeff N.) would seem to be your best bet.

We hope to see you up in NorCal the weekend of Nov. 22-23. I'll be in touch by pm soon.

Robert
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Well, since you'll be down here anyhow, we might as well go see what we can find. I'd be glad to take you to a couple of spots with boards and AC. Who knows, you might get lucky and arrive right after a rainstorm.

I'll reserve Frid. Dec. 5th from 9am-1pm for you Zach.

Jeff
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

It the snakes aren't moving, we can still cruise. Lots of fun.

Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Fullerton would put you fairly close to some productive areas in western Riverside county.. Pre-scout some areas on Google earth with rocks and trash is your best bet.. Im open to PMs if you find an area you want to check out, but arent sure about.. that way you do a little of your own homework.. You could also try LA or Orange county, again AC or concrete, trash ect. will be most productive. That time of year can be somewhat good, or not produce at all, depending on how much rain we get by then, temps, and shear luck! If conditions remain dry and dismall by then, staying closer to the coast, might be your best bet..

There is a lot you can do in December down here.. Flip a San diego banded gecko in riverside, roll a carpet-ringneck, see a rosy boa in a crack, flip, or crawling out, Ive found kings in December.. but finding some of those species is much more of a challenge during that part of year.. Wait to see what conditions are thrown your way that week and plan from there.. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any help when your down here in LA..

-Dan
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

LouB747 wrote:It the snakes aren't moving, we can still cruise. Lots of fun.

Wow I thought you only flew 747s lol. That look awesome, but I was waiting for the wing walking :thumb: ...john
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Is that you in that plane Lou?

Fundad
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yeah, that's me. The plane (Christen Eagle II) is kept at Long Beach. That's the backside of Catalina Island in the video. I fky a couple times a month, usually a weekday in the morning. Its usually a solo run with the front seat empty. If anyone wants to go for a ride, let me know.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Wow impressive flying Lou. I am going to think about that.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Do the Scalped T-shirts come in black?
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Thank you all for all the advice and help!

Robert- Yeah, I figured it would be a long shot down there at that time :) Please do let me know when you two are up here. Haven't seen the rest of the guys (Derek, Owen, did run into Jim a week ago) in a bit- let's all hang out!

Jeff- Thank you for the offer! I'll see what I can do in regards to SD- our booker seems like he is going to fall through and we might have to play Santa Monica instead :/

Lou- Are you going top be around? Let's fly really low and see if we can scare up some snakes haha!

Dan- Thank you so much for the detailed trips. Of course I will do my own homework :) Just checking to see what the productivity level would be (no one else in the band cares for herping and it bums them out that I ditch all the time- I recall the band dropping me off at the Capitol Building in Washington for me to meet up Gary Nafis as the rest of guys hit the bar....5 HOURS before the show!)

Again, I really appreciate your insight. I am quite partial to banded geckos and really dislike the photos of them I have from earlier in the year...haha!

I'll shoot you a PM shortly once I figure it out!

Owen-

Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

LouB747 wrote:It the snakes aren't moving, we can still cruise. Lots of fun.

You're having way too much fun, Lou! :lol:

I was a pilot in my younger days, but if I ever found myself upside down in an airplane, it wouldn't have been intentional!

Awesome video. :thumb:
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Lou- that video! Holy!
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Lou- Do you ever set up fishing lines off the back and troll when you're flying that close to he water?
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Zack, I should be off. I'll know for sure around Nov 24th. As far as fishing, the plane scares the flying fish up to the surface and they fly right through the prop, ready to eat. Joking about that, but seagulls can be a real threat.